Cyclists and truckies working together

Timothy Maikshilo

I know there was one a few years ago sponsored by the ATA,if I remember right. It was called the "No Zone". Seemed like a good idea.but I suppose government funding or costs of the carriers for putting on the program,met the axe. Haven't seen or heard much about it lately,but do think it was a MUCH needed program,for sure. Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I see no-zone trailers on the road every so often but that's about it. As Ezrider said, there needs to be more emphasis on training new drivers how to interact with trucks. Some benefit from having a trucker in the family or as a friend but it seems the majority are clueless to the fact that the larger the vehicle the more time and space it needs to do the same maneuvers as a car.

Jim

Regarding opening post about visabilty from the drivers seat one thing is for sure,those big ugly convex mirrors like the ones on school buses are going to become mandatory very soon,I see them more and more and I'm not totally against them but damn they make a nice truck look like crap..

Fortunately most trucks these days look like crap anyway, so the mirrors don't stand out as much.

True bit I'm seeing them more and more mostly on older trucks with straight flat hoods like KW and evn mack superliners,don't notice them on the new trucks,guess they fit right in.

Regarding opening post about visabilty from the drivers seat one thing is for sure,those big ugly convex mirrors like the ones on school buses are going to become mandatory very soon,I see them more and more and I'm not totally against them but damn they make a nice truck look like crap..

Cumo and Joan McDonald were talking recently of multiple camera systems and object alarms for the trucks blind spots. $$$$$

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

If you have seen the new Ford commercial, it has a mother in a new Ford with her young son behind the wheel driving in circles around a parking lot. Then towards the end he is "parallel parking'> Ya, except they use the park assist. Meaning NO KID will every actually have any kind driving ability in a few more years. They will have to park out in the middle of a parking lot so they can pull in/pull out because they can't drive for shit. No one will every actually turn their head to LOOK behind them because they will rely on cameras and warning buzzers to tell them if it is safe> Ugh. Just makes me sick.

I have to laugh about the giving directions while in a truck. If you can't see ME(my face) or my mirror, then I can't see YOU while you are waving your arms.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

If you have seen the new Ford commercial, it has a mother in a new Ford with her young son behind the wheel driving in circles around a parking lot. Then towards the end he is "parallel parking'> Ya, except they use the park assist. Meaning NO KID will every actually have any kind driving ability in a few more years. They will have to park out in the middle of a parking lot so they can pull in/pull out because they can't drive for shit. No one will every actually turn their head to LOOK behind them because they will rely on cameras and warning buzzers to tell them if it is safe> Ugh. Just makes me sick.

I have to laugh about the giving directions while in a truck. If you can't see ME(my face) or my mirror, then I can't see YOU while you are waving your arms.

The have devices to decelerate and stop the car from rear ending something if you are not paying attention, a device for the cruise control to slow up or accelerate automatically depending on how close or far away from the vehicle in front, devices to warn you if the is something behind you or in your blind spot, self parking and even a device to make you stay between the lines. Subaru even has a red light braking device if it looks like you will run the light!

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE