Should I be worried?

RowdyRebel

The top photo is just the washer from the inside of the oil fill plug. It fell off an oil change ago, and I replaced the fill plug. The other one looks to be complete (as in all of the pieces are there)...maybe 3/4" inside diameter.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I do think its from the turbo because of the little holes in the out side of the ring.That looks like something that I have seen before but I have never seen the inside parts of a mack turbo.That is common for a cat turbo but is the parts there small enough to go thru the oil drain?There is not any thing like that in the compressor and nothing in the governor could get down there.

glenn akers

Looks like a turbo shaft bushing to me.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

How thick is that bearing? Maybe a photo with a nickel or penny next to it for a size reference?

If its 3/4 od that is rather large for it to be a bad turbo bearing to slip thru the drain tube. Do all three fit together to make up a 360 degree bearing.? Can you pull the valve covers for a quick look? I dbout it would fit down the oil drain passage but it's an easy inspection before you go digging more into the bottom end.

Definitely a bushing and appears to be missing a piece. Did your Turbo fail from oil starvation, heat or impeller ? If so that could explain the pieces and the wear marks on what appears to be the load end.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

http://www.google.com/search?q=turbo+exploded+view&safe=off&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0C3YVLeYMsW1sATNu4C4DQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=URzJwn8LTuyoOM%253A%3BqdzdGbxfqOdhfM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.turbododgeparts.com%252Fassets%252Fimages%252Fturbo-exploded-view.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.turbododge.com%252Fforums%252Ff4%252Ff19%252F761665-smoke-coming-out-tail-pipe.html%3B600%3B849

Hopefully this link works.

It's a exploded view of a turbo and you can see the 2 bearings that look similar to yours. How your turbo failed can be a clue to how the bearing got down in your pan. I'm still surprised that it was able to make its way to the pan if this is what we are looking at. Most times the large parts of the turbo stay contained inside the center section. At best you get shavings and chunks but not the whole bearing?

Sure looks like it.

You'd be surprised what an fall into and engine. My ex partner was spinning a 1/2" Craftsman combo wrench on his finger. Flew and went right down the oil filler tube on a 1962 Chevy V-8 followed by the soft clunk as it hit the bottom of the oil pan. Just got to align the planets right. Paul

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE