WW II MACK Plant

41chevy

In December of 1942, the Mack bus plant in Allentown, Pennsylvania was requisitioned by the Navy for use building torpedo bombers. It was estimated that over six months in starting production of the bombers could be saved by using the Mack plant. Other services to the Navy included the development of a 400HP, 12-cylinder, supercharged diesel, and the delivery of numerous Mariner Diesel engines for use in the Navy’s smaller landing craft.

Any body have info on the 12cylinder or the Mariner diesel?

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Very cool information. I skimmed through and didn't see a torpedo bomber. Would be a TBF/TBM Avenger I would think? Anybody have any pics of these by Mack? Grumman was a TBF and GM produced them as TBM if I remember right. Thanks for the info..Brian

Very cool information. I skimmed through and didn't see a torpedo bomber. Would be a TBF/TBM Avenger I would think? Anybody have any pics of these by Mack? Grumman was a TBF and GM produced them as TBM if I remember right. Thanks for the info..Brian

No, it was Consolidated Vultee TBY "Seawolf" torpedo bomber that was produced for the U.S. Navy, at Mack Trucks' Plant 5C. The facility, at that time, ordinarily produced municipal transit buses.

Mack also built aircraft components for BT13 trainers and B-24 bombers.

It's noteworthy that the War Department presented Mack Trucks with the Army-Navy "E" Award for excellence, in recognition of the company's high achievement in the production of war materials.

The Seawolf was not a stellar aircraft (though not a flat out deathtrap like the obsolete Devastator), but choosing to build it was the mistake of the navy and the war department. Mack merely followed the orders of the War Production Board. Seawolfs never saw action but did see a lot of accidents. Production was quickly cancelled at the war's end. It was designed by Vought, however the Seawolf was not superb in the tradition of the Corsair. The war department arranged for the Seawolf to be built under Consolidated because Vought was maxed out producing Corsairs.

• Like 1

Any photo's / specs on the 12 cylinder?

8_zps0a4b72a9.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

There's some info on the Mariner here - page 19.

http://www.mackdefense.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Mack_Geared_For_Victory.pdf

Also, note the mention of the New Brunswick and Plainfield, New Jersey plants on page 23. Many do not realize that New Jersey was a massive Mack location for production, as well as spare parts distribution.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/34219-mack-trucks-the-facilities/

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/31969-bridgewater/

Kscarbel, many thanks for posting the Mackdefence document.

I saw many of those photos before but never had put my eye on the whole brochure.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012