Cold Weather Start up

Monk31

Charged batteries, used torpedo heater, plugged in block heater, replaced fuel filters, added diesel 911, little bit of ether and still no luck truck will not start up opened up injectors a little there was some air in the engine there I was told truck was air locked. Would that keep the truck from starting and running getting a little frustrated on my this truck will not start. I havent opened the injectors on top of engine need to get an angled wrench. Also there was fuel getting to the injectors when tried to start with the injector opened a little.

Edited by Monk31

if it is cranking fast enough then with a sniff it should want to fire. i woundnt be afraid of a couple of light sniffs to get it going. i have heard of using spray silicone instead of starting fluid cause it doesnt dry the cyl. walls. just try starting fluid

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Ok I will check what would the primer look like and where would it generally be located

On the side of the inj pump underneath where the inj lines enter the top of the pump, youll see a round knob,you turn it to unlock it than you can pump it up and down.

I know it's impossible to do it now, but once Spring comes get yourself one of those Shelter Logic shelters to store the truck in if you can't afford or have access to a regular garage. I keep mine in there year round with the batteries on chargers. During the winter I put additive in the fuel and start it up once a month. This is the second year and it does a good job of keeping the weather and wind out. Just make sure you knock the snow off the roof to prevent it from collapsing. Check out northerntool.com to see their shelters large enough for your Mack.

This was a brutal winter so don't feel too bad. For next year the trick is turning over fast and fuel not jelling. Use a battery maintainer or trickle charger (they even make solar now for long distance from an outlet) and put some fuel additive in in the fall. They do make tank heaters, but haven't used them. A good block heater (check yours) or dipstick heater also helps the engine turn faster - thin oil. Starting fluid once it's turning fast enough should get it going. Mack put ether systems on so they won't hurt it as long as you do it once and don't try to run it on just starting fluid (you don't want to try to spray more once it starts or spray during extended cranking). Spray it good,sit a few seconds, start it. As for the salamander and torpedo heaters they work in an enclosed space but used too close I've seen damaged wires and rubber not to mention paint, etc. if you need to run and go in all weather you'll need a garage or to start it every few hours in sub zero. Big diesels are hard in winter, why the New England fire companies went to gas ten to twenty years after commercial truckers Good luck.

Well I have my answer broke down and brought truck to repair shop . The culprit was a bad transfer pump. A tow and $500 later truck will be up and running tomorrow. I would like to thank everyone who posted with ideas and suggestions it is greatly appreciated . Thanks again