Please post your F Model pics. Seems like there aren't a lot of photos online, considering how long this truck was around. And you seldom see restored examples. I've been looking at Hanks a lot lately and even there it seems like I see more pics of trucks with F cabs (like Hayes... which, ironically, were probably a lot less common than Fs) than actual Mack Fs. I'm particularly interested in seeing the light weight versions, the california-built trucks.

I tried to search the archives for this information but it won't accept a one-letter search term ("f"). It makes it pretty hard to search for F Model Macks without using "F" as a search term. Plus, many of the photos in old posts are likely dead by now anyway.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there's pics of a 68 FS785 on oldmacks.com in the Fore Sale section, although his pics for that truck are kinda small.

Here's a 73 that's for sale not far from me.

http://www.donovansusedcars.com/vehicle_pa...209405110.shtml

Yer right, there's not a whole lot of F model pics out there, there are a few in the gallery here, but not as many as I had thought when I first looked thru the gallery.

Don't know if you like Australian trucks but here is one impressive F model pulling a livestock road train:

mackf700roadtrainsmall.jpg

That grille was only available on V8 powered F models in Australia and New Zealand. I also have pictures of a few 6x6 and a 4x4 F models from down under as well.

Also of note the now defunct Australian truck maker Leader used the F cab on one of their trucks. They were used as twin steer 8x4 dump trucks and had CAT 3208 boat anchors and a fuller 13 speed behind it.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Superdog, we're those pictured F model daycabs former Metz Baking or REA Express trucks? Metz used a red like that.

The red one did belong to a bakery,but I don't think it was Metz.If I remember right,the horn button is stamped "Custom built for Trask Bakeries".I'll double check though,I may be wrong.It has a 290 Cummins and a 6 speed Spicer trans.

The red one did belong to a bakery,but I don't think it was Metz.If I remember right,the horn button is stamped "Custom built for Trask Bakeries".I'll double check though,I may be wrong.It has a 290 Cummins and a 6 speed Spicer trans.

IIRC, Traask (not sure of the spelling) was one of the bakeries Metz bought out in the 70s and 80s to build their chain. Here in Minnesota Master Baking had an F model also before Metz bought them up. I believe that one was an ex-REA tractor that they got when REA went belly up. Metz seemed quite impressed with the Macks, standardizing the fleet on Fs and later MHs until they switched to the cheaper International 2300 tractors.

You have been approved as a member. That is necessary to keep the spammers out of the group. The photo area is listed on the left column. Check it out.

Doug

Thank you,I've been approved and signed on the dotted line,and looked at the pictures :D

I do keep a can or two of spam in the truck,in case I get snowbounded or something-hope they don't find out and kick me out. At least i've already looked at the pictures! ;)

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I just bought an ELP cd last week,and this tour picture was inside,taken sometime in the '70s i'd guess. Looks like some F-models,some Fords,a Peterbilt,and ?

Truck's still in the shop,and as you might have guessed,i'm at home with little to do.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Don't know if you like Australian trucks but here is one impressive F model pulling a livestock road train:

mackf700roadtrainsmall.jpg

That grille was only available on V8 powered F models in Australia and New Zealand. I also have pictures of a few 6x6 and a 4x4 F models from down under as well.

Also of note the now defunct Australian truck maker Leader used the F cab on one of their trucks. They were used as twin steer 8x4 dump trucks and had CAT 3208 boat anchors and a fuller 13 speed behind it.

How are ya Thad? Those grilles were available on all F models with the fibreglass cab, 6 or 8 cylinder. They were made by a crowd in Melbourne called Reinforced plastics, who also made the cabs for the 3800 series Atkinsons. Notice on that F model in your picture the extra long grab handle? they were only available on the plastic cabs. As for Leaders, they were designed by the bloke who brought Macks into the country, Cyril Anderson. He wanted a cheap, light truck for short haul work and Mack wouldnt make him one so he built one. Were available with 3208, 3306 and 3406 Cat engines, and the last had 692 GMs in them. I should have a couple of F models in my gallery, an FR686 and an F785. Cheers mate, Skip

How are ya Thad? Those grilles were available on all F models with the fibreglass cab, 6 or 8 cylinder. They were made by a crowd in Melbourne called Reinforced plastics, who also made the cabs for the 3800 series Atkinsons. Notice on that F model in your picture the extra long grab handle? they were only available on the plastic cabs. As for Leaders, they were designed by the bloke who brought Macks into the country, Cyril Anderson. He wanted a cheap, light truck for short haul work and Mack wouldnt make him one so he built one. Were available with 3208, 3306 and 3406 Cat engines, and the last had 692 GMs in them. I should have a couple of F models in my gallery, an FR686 and an F785. Cheers mate, Skip

Thanks for that info Skip! Wow the same company that made the plastic Atkinson 3800 (my fav Australian truck) also made the fiberglass F cab. Very interesting. I assume the front and side body panela are fiberglass? I wish trucks down under werent so expensive otherwise I would love to import an old fiberglass F Model (along with a Plastic Atki 3800!).

I love the F model and there were quite a few interesting options or changes made that were never offered here in the USA or was very limited in release. Those include:

Air ride cab (Europe only?)

Axle back (Europe and Down under, called the FM I believe)

High rise Aerodyne sleeper option (only a hand full in the US, only saw one restored. plenty of pics of them from down under)

Fiberglass cab (Down under for better cooling in the Outback)

If anyone can clarify this please let me know.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!