Rim width for 315/80 tires?

MACKS

I am in the process of having a 20000 lb steerable drop axle installed on my dump, thinking of going with 315/80-22.5 tires so looking around for a set of used aluminum 10 hole rims,will these tires fit on 8.25 or is 9 inch with a must.Thanks

You can get 9" wheels in several offsets, some are flat "float" style wheels while others are hard to tell from a std wheel, biggest difference is thickness and they all have small hand holes.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I have 315's on 9" wheels on my steerable lift axle. the truck originally had 11r22.5's on regular 8.25's but I happened to come across a set of used 9" wide ones at a junkyard so I bought them. however, when one of the wheels developed a crack and I needed a replacement, I couldn't find another used 9" wide wheel anywhere, I called junkyards all over. so I had to buy a new one, aluminum accuride. 8.25's are a dime a dozen but good luck finding a used 9"!

I've seen guys run 315's on 8.25's on their front axles before! on the tag that might be ok but I wouldn't do it on a steer axle.

oh my 9" wheels look just like regular 8.25 dual wheels, but they are much thicker. they do make 9" wide flat face wheels, they look more like a 11 or 12" wide wheel that a 385 or 425 would go on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

have parts off a 2016 freightliner rv chassis:

transmission, front suspension, jacks, hydrolic system for slide outs and jacks (HWH) aluminum rims and more call for price  786 256 0892

On 12/31/2014 at 9:50 AM, MACKS said:

I am in the process of having a 20000 lb steerable drop axle installed on my dump, thinking of going with 315/80-22.5 tires so looking around for a set of used aluminum 10 hole rims,will these tires fit on 8.25 or is 9 inch with a must.Thanks

Alan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...