350 4 valve to 350 2valve

keg1

Thanks . The 2 valve is in my Superliner only has 7000miles since rebuild. R model is at Mack garage for over a week and there not making much progress so I'm thinking about dragging it home and put Superliner motor in it and get back to work. I will then fix 4 valve and put in Superliner. After all the work and money I've put in the Superliner I thought the 4 valve would be better in it. A lot of work to switch motors but I'm tired of garages charging so much and taking forever to do anything. They told me Friday I'm at $2000.00 already and they don't have it tore down yet.

Hi,I understand why you're considering this. I've switched 2 valves for 4 valves and visa versa. The only thing that may be a slight problem is the front mount as you stated. Your RWS will have the circular trunnion mount with the 2 piece half moon rubber insulators. Depending on the year your 4 valve in the R model will have either a steel timing cover like your Superliner or a cast aluminun cover. If it is the steel cover the mount will bolt on your 2 valve engine. The mounting holes have to be drilled out and tapped to 7/16 from the 3/8 they now are to accept the bolts that are in the R model mount. If the R model 4 valve has a cast alum timing cover you will need to find another mount as they are slightly different. Should be no problem finding one. You can't swap timong covers cause the one with the alum. cover would have captive thrust washers on the camshaft ans accessory drive, while the 2 valve has thrust buttons with hex heads and lock nuts. Hope this helps and doesn't sound too confusing. Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for the help. When I get the R model back here I'll check it out. I just put a front main seal in it and I think it was a steel cover but my memory sucks so I'll have to wait and check it out. I found another 4 valve engine but I hate to spend the money and not know what im getting.

• Like 1

I had the truck towed home Wednesday and pulled the engine out. Of course the 4 valve had the cast timing cover. I decided against pulling the motor out of the Superliner. I went to Canton, Oh. to get another 4 valve engine, but it had a lot of things that were different so I took mine to get rebuilt. I figured while it was down I would replace the cab lights and of course the screws were rusted in the cab so now I have everything off and getting roof ready to paint

post-4354-0-58311900-1419028300_thumb.jp

Im pretty sure Dynatard stuck, bent pushrods, took lobe off cam, not sure what else. I had problem with it about a year ago. The guy that worked on it was supposed to put a jake on it some weekend so I didn't have to be down again and time went by and I kind of forgot about it. This brought it to my attention though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...