Engine removal

eddeere

Had planed to stop disassembly at this point to clean and paint frame. The truck was used to pull an asphalt tanker and spread it. It has asphalt and gravel almost every where. Had about 2" on the springs which I got off . The inside of the frame is packed in places. I plan to change motor mounts. Thought about pulling the engine and trans as a unit to clean. Can this be done or would it be better to split. Where and are best places to lift from ?

post-9172-0-37697700-1418495206_thumb.jp

post-9172-0-26026000-1418495233_thumb.jp

post-9172-0-21244200-1418495269_thumb.jp

Personally, you have gone this far. What's a little more dissassembly going to do to the schedule or budget? I dont know if splitting them will make it easier to remove from the chassis, but personally if I were in your shoes I would split them just for the sake of making a good visual inspection of the flywheel and clutch.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I would split to if nothen else but to replace the pilot brg.I am glad your smart enough to cover the intake with tape.I have for 40 years worked with grown men getting paid to work on trucks that will not and have never and never will cover a open intake.Most of them say they ant going to drop nothen.

• Like 1

glenn akers

Guess it depends on your equipment. If you have a heavy duty trans jack, block the motor up and split the trans off and remove. Then remove the motor.

If using your backhoe, I would remove as a unit. Properly rated 3,000 lbs. lifting sling should work.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Thanks everyone for the advise. It makes sense to pull the engine and trans at this point. The size of this is somewhat overwhelming. I think I will split it and pull as two separate units. I have some concerns on line up on reassembly but will deal with that when the time comes.