Guys I need some opinions. My '56 B-61X has the original dump hoist on it. No clue as to brand but I have top believe it was installed when chassis was new. A couple of years ago I installed a new 6/8 yard galion but kept the hoist.

As you can see it is old school with no separate oil reservoir-everything is contained in the hoist cylinder. Problem is it leaks. I have tried tightening that big packing nut on end but that doesn't seem to help. Someone has suggested there is probably a big gasket on that end plate.

Any thoughts?

post-1625-0-58479100-1412388343_thumb.jp

post-1625-0-03295600-1412388377_thumb.jp

post-1625-0-39053100-1412388412_thumb.jp

given the age and style of that unit I will bet that it uses leather cup seals or leather chevron packing. The rod seals I'd bet are chevron and could be replaced with out removal of the rod assembly. you should be able to block the box up then release hyd.pressure then back off the packing nut measure the shaft and bore dia. then get some chevron or pump packing install into bore and tighten the nut until leak quits

Guys- thx for your comments- I hate the thought of pulling that heavy unit out. I assume those big lugs on that end cover are used for spinning off?

Gearhead- you saying just the packing nut? Or the end cover too.

EJ- Let me tell you about Galion/Godwin. As I was going to utilize the old hoist, I contacted them and asked for a drawing of the box. When the body was delivered I get under it (its at my pal's shop sitting on a heavy 4 wheel platform cart about 3' off ground- perfect) Drawing does not come close to "as built". In any case after a lot of measuring I come up with what needs to be done to modify and we do it and success-it goes up and comes down-flat!

most bigger hydraulic shop have a big vise type thing to mount the cylinder in and all sorts of adapters for the end caps to spin them off. I know at work we have had many rebuilt on cat and John deere loaders. have done them ourselves to but most of the threads for the packin nuts have really really good locktight on them that has to be heated with a rosebud to take it loose. the big shops usually have a machine to mount and spin the end cap off with. usually like they said a wiper seal or a series of O rings.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

just the packing nut no need to remove the big plate , if the oil leak is from around the shaft this should fix it .if chevron packing cut the packing at a 45 then install into the bore then cut the next piece rotate cut lines 180 from the first one then re install packing nut

just the packing nut no need to remove the big plate , if the oil leak is from around the shaft this should fix it .if chevron packing cut the packing at a 45 then install into the bore then cut the next piece rotate cut lines 180 from the first one then re install packing nut

So these packings are available as a "generic" product-just spec rod diameter?

Bob it look like they still use the same Pistons today according to their website. Check price of new vs rebuilt. In our case it wS cheaper to buy new

Matt, I don't think anyone uses a tankless system today..correct me if I'm wrong-and like I said originally- think this hoist is of 1956 vintage. No clue as to who made it

• Like 1

most of the vintage stuff is pretty generic the question is will it be a cup seal or chevron ? if a cup you will have to remove the end cap as well to access the seal. as I said before raise and securely block the bed/hoist then remove hyd. pressure by moving the raise / lower lever with the pto disengaged several times once this is done the cyl. rod should be loose on the mounting pins , then loosen the packing nut and remove then with a seal pick and flash lite gently dig at the seal. if it is chevron it should move without too much effort (depending how much rust is present in the bore) if there is a significant amount of thread on the packing nut would also make me think its a packing gland (like chevron or pump packing) if less than a 1 in. of thread most likely a cup seal style and the end cap most likely will have to be removed to fix the leak.

most of the vintage stuff is pretty generic the question is will it be a cup seal or chevron ? if a cup you will have to remove the end cap as well to access the seal. as I said before raise and securely block the bed/hoist then remove hyd. pressure by moving the raise / lower lever with the pto disengaged several times once this is done the cyl. rod should be loose on the mounting pins , then loosen the packing nut and remove then with a seal pick and flash lite gently dig at the seal. if it is chevron it should move without too much effort (depending how much rust is present in the bore) if there is a significant amount of thread on the packing nut would also make me think its a packing gland (like chevron or pump packing) if less than a 1 in. of thread most likely a cup seal style and the end cap most likely will have to be removed to fix the leak.

Thx I guess I should start by cleaning the cylinder to confirm weep is on the rod vs end cap.