Big excavation job in town

refusegetter

http://www.thewesterlysun.com/news/latestnews/4020107-129/contract-awarded-for-restoration-of-state-beach.html

The above link has details of a new project about to begin here in westerly,ri. Basically the army corps of engineers has hired a company to move 84000 cubic yards of sand roughly 18 miles, then they will use that sand to "rejuvenate" 3300 linear feet of coastline. I'm excited to see this happen, not that I think it's money well spent but because I want to check out the equipment. Oh, and it's all going to get done in a 7 week time period.

I'm not a dirt guy so I don't really know. What's a yard of sand weigh? I'm guessing a 40yd trailer would be quite heavy. Another thing in the 35 working days they also have to apply the sand to the beach. I don't think they want to be hauling the last load in on the last day.

Hummmmm. lets see 60+ trucks hauling sand, thru sand empty and loaded trucks on each end of a sand job.

the only way the contractor will see any money is if he buys an axle and rear end business!!

maybe you guys run on mats?

• Like 1

Hell we moved over a million and a half yds of burnt trash out of Philly to the landfills of NJ.We had 30 of our own trucks and about 200 plus or minus independent truckers.We did this in less then a year.They will mostly use triaxles dumps.The most you will be getting on the trucks will be 15-18 yds a load.At 15 yds a load it will take 5600 loads.Now if the sand is wet which in all likely hood it is you may only be getting 12 yds a load.Once the local cop get wind of it and start to weigh and do spot check on the trucks their production will go way down.We got any where from 15-25 over weight tickets everyday,except on Saturday the state police weigh team didn't work.So guess what we did on that day.The 20 r models we had brought new with Benson trailers were not allowed to leave the job under 90,000.The independents did the same.I think I took the heavest load out on a Saturday that weighed in at 112,000.If they only have 35 days to do it it's going to be tough.That will amount to 160 loads a day.Not a whole lot.We hauled in over 1200 loads of sand from NJ to the Philly airport and that was well over 20 miles one way.Will the loading site or dumping site allow for that many trucks aday? Good Luck.

If its the corps of engineers they may get a waiver to haul more and with certain hauls they may get left alone by the cops, happened a lot in LA after Katrina I had some friends there working.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 1 month later...

Here is a cell phone pic of a trailer that will no longer be hauling sand. I think his 5th wheel broke from the tractor because the truck looked fine. Oh this was also taken a few miles from the dump site, so this guy thought it was a good idea to "fix" it on site and then drive down the road like this.post-13371-0-07303300-1398732202_thumb.j

• Like 2

Looks like it was laid over while dumping, I don't think it is uncommon for a dump trailer to roll over on uneven and soft ground, such as sand.

I would have thought they did it like this with an off shore dredge pumping sand up pipes onto the beach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PM0R53SOOE

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Those drone cameras are damn cool! I liked enjoyed the video.

The sand project here in town has the sand trucked in from a different location and dumped in a parking lot(staging area) then it'll get reloaded in site trucks then applied to the actual beach. So this trailer flopped over in a flat parking lot.

Well we are still trying to fill in the beach but the 3&4 foot waves is working harder. Tilcon lost one of their barges from Branford CT and landed on beach in Milford CT with a load of stone. The coast guard is looking in to it.

Ed