get rid of the 24" tires or buy a set of new 12.00R24 tires?

I have a 1999 RD688 tri axle dump truck,it has 11R24.5s on the drive axles and on the pusher axle and 12.00R24s up front,my question is should I buy some 24.5 spokes,rims and tires or try to find some 24s ? and if anyone knows where I can find a set of 24s in the NJ PA area for a reasonable price let me know.....thanks....fred

post-17218-0-35561700-1391311231_thumb.j

someone just told me I can change the rims and tires to 24.5 without changing the hubs! is this true? that would be awesome.

I was doing research on this and you will need to find new hubs my b81 is set up the same way for some reason. Find the member kcam on here he had some 24 inch rubber for sale

I have a 1999 RD688 tri axle dump truck,it has 11R24.5s on the drive axles and on the pusher axle and 12.00R24s up front,my question is should I buy some 24.5 spokes,rims and tires or try to find some 24s ? and if anyone knows where I can find a set of 24s in the NJ PA area for a reasonable price let me know.....thanks....fred

This is an old Intercounty Paving truck. Same specs as the old MT. Hope trucks. When I worked for H and H, Victor(can't remember his last name) was the fleet manager for Mt, Hope. He told me that combination with the 12r24.5 rears and the tube type 12r24's front was the best combination they found. I'm not sure what they based it on but all of the tandems and tri axles came through like that. Good luck trying to find big tube rubber. Everybody is having trouble.

Rob

This is an old Intercounty Paving truck. Same specs as the old MT. Hope trucks. When I worked for H and H, Victor(can't remember his last name) was the fleet manager for Mt, Hope. He told me that combination with the 12r24.5 rears and the tube type 12r24's front was the best combination they found. I'm not sure what they based it on but all of the tandems and tri axles came through like that. Good luck trying to find big tube rubber. Everybody is having trouble.

Rob

Most likely they were using the 24's up front for weight reasons.Still lots of guys running 24 rubber on Long Island never heard anyone having trouble buying them,last time I was there Barnwell tires had plenty in stock..

I would swap it out to hub piloted front wheels and run either 385 or 425 floats if it was me, even running 12R24.5's would be better because its so much nicer to just pull the wheel to do a brake job.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Those Intercounty trucks originally had 12r24.5 on the rears. Maybe somebody swapped them out already. As far as trouble with getting tube type big rubber it just told to me in Jersey guys were having some issues. Maybe on the Island there are still more heavy tandems running around. Not so much in Jersey as the norm is 12r24,5's.

Rob

It will be cheaper for you to stay with the 24's on the front by the time you get done swapping out the spokes.

For this tire swap but it really depends on how long he is gonna keep the truck. If you buy tires a few more times and keep the heavier front hubs then it might not. If you were to swap to a hub pilot hub the price for brakes jobs drops by half, the weight drops by half so more payload which means more on your net profit and cheaper tires since you can then use anything in the 22.5 or 24.5 tire and wheel catalog. Just the way I look at things, I tend to do long term math and look for the payoff after a couple years. Again yes it would be cheaper to just suck it up and pay for the expensive tires this time, but not if your gonna keep the truck, especially when you count the reduced weight and cost of brake and wheel seal jobs. Don't forget about the better ride quality from a hub pilot and tubeless tire too.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Intercounty paving used EOLUS tires HN08 tires,so I called there main office in texas and that guy had me call the Mass.office and that guy put me in touch with a place 20 mins. from me, he had them in stock with new tubes and new liners it was over $1000 but im good for some time. so im happy. thanks for all the input guys.

• 9 years later...