Snow Happens

farmer52

Excellent read. One problem in Atlanta, the day before was like 60 degrees-thus warm ground. When it started snowing the snow melted, then began to freeze as the cold moved in. THEN, everybody hit the roads and packed it in better. Too late to get ahead and salt/brine. Any snow service trucks were just sitting in the road with everyone else.

Yes the Mayor and Governor could have done a better job.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Before retirement, I drove 60 miles one-way (home to office) from Canton to Cleveland eastside. The drive was usually 60 minutes in early morning (no traffic) and drive home ~75 minutes (traffic). The weather in Canton could be completely different than in Cleveland (lake effect). Ice is worse than snow. My record for "longest time" was 5 hours. So I went to the office and home prepared for the worst. Also, PATIENCE was required along with COMMON SENSE. You would not believe the number of 4WD vehicles sitting in the ditch.

Personally I don't blame the Governor nor the Mayor. They aren't babysitters. Where were the highway managers/supervisors, etc.?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

There was plenty of warning. I was at my daughters in Newnan, GA, southwest of Atlanta, and kept watching the weather, since I was planning on leaving Tuesday morning. There was a watch then went to a warning with snow to begin anywhere from 10:00 am to 1:00 PM on Tuesday. We left at 8:00 am and were ahead of everything. I did not see any type of snow equipment pretreating or salting the roads going thru Atlanta.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

Almost no body from the top to bottom apparently posses any common sense.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I miss my salt/slush car: a 1967 VW Beetle with tall, skinny tires. As long as the snow wasn't so deep that the front couldn't push through, I had no problems.

I once left work early (10:30AM) in the middle of a major snowstorm. Four wheel drive vehicles all over the roads, usually spinning one wheel at each end.

After cresting a long. steep hill, I was met on the other side by a snowplow coming the other way.

That plow was the only moving vehicle I encountered during the remaining 12 mile trip home.

I don't drive in the snow now, if I don't absolutely need to, in spite of having four Blizzaks on my front-drive Jetta. FWD, traction control, ABS, don't do a think to help you stop when the road is slick.

• Like 1

Excellent read. One problem in Atlanta, the day before was like 60 degrees-thus warm ground. When it started snowing the snow melted, then began to freeze as the cold moved in. THEN, everybody hit the roads and packed it in better. Too late to get ahead and salt/brine. Any snow service trucks were just sitting in the road with everyone else.

Yes the Mayor and Governor could have done a better job.

Looks like it was the perfect storm. Glad don't have the deal with that in south florida.

• Like 1

since when is the governor or mayor a super hero? this is the reason this country is f uped ,until a smart phone app can remove ones head from their ass.the SHEEPLE will be scurrying like blind mice. planning for the worst and hoping for the best. is better than a lack of planning! ok I,m off the soap box

• Like 1