B61 Sheppard Power Steering System Complete W/New Box

kbm6131957

Up For Sale I have a complete B61 Sheppard integral power steering system with a brand new not reman or rebuilt steering box. All of the parts needed to retrofit or replace Mack manual or power assist steering to Sheppard integral (power in the box no linkage). The box and pitman arm were purchased new from Sheppard, castings and all parts are brand new. The box has all the updates like fine spline input and output shafts. The generator and pump came from a running truck. The generator had been redone about one year before it was taken off and was from a yard tractor. The frame to steering box adapter was made from an original Mack drawing. Everything in the photographs is included in the sale. The box can be installed without unbolting or moving the engine. Easiest way is to remove the left inner panel and left fender. Shepard steering is a very nice option, along with much easier steering for a B61. I am located in Sarasota, Florida arrangements can be worked out for pick up, shipping or delivery. Price is $1500 for everything. I can be reached through this web site or KBM613@ LIVE.Com or 941-780-2254 Eastern time zone Thank You Kevin

post-4549-0-12423900-1391096791_thumb.jp

post-4549-0-54602400-1391096816_thumb.jp

post-4549-0-67951100-1391096854_thumb.jp

post-4549-0-30727700-1391096886_thumb.jp

Edited by kbm6131957

I'm just interested in how they hook the column back up? I guess there is a coupler(that little red Spicer box) you weld on the shaft once you cut it off the original box? Just curious.

I'd love to have some kind of steering assist, but I removed my generator many years ago.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I'm just interested in how they hook the column back up? I guess there is a coupler(that little red Spicer box) you weld on the shaft once you cut it off the original box? Just curious.

I'd love to have some kind of steering assist, but I removed my generator many years ago.

Maybe you need to cut a splined end a steering column's shaft and weld it up back shortening it. Not nice, maybe some different way.

The installation manual in the pic makes hopes for the best.

As far as I know there are steering columns of different lengthes (and angles?) depending on B's hood length. Or maybe this one is only for B61?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Hello Mack People, a couple different ways to put this box in a running truck. You can cut an original steering column from a manual box make a small stub shaft to fit the u joint and weld it to the existing column. Second way is to buy a B model power steering column and yes it uses a smaller spline steering wheel but also has a brush inside for the horn button. Last way is to find a steering column from a cabover it already has a u joint at the bottom of the column. I used one from a early seventies Pete to put a Sheppard box in a B61 it came with a smaller steering wheel also and the horn worked well just not original Mack. Some of the early Mack cabovers may have a similar column then the steering wheel will have the Mack Logo. Thank You

Hello Mr Maddog, Yes that is how Mack built B Models from the factory with Sheppard Steering. This box is a bolt replacement for that setup. The input steering shaft is the correct length and the only change would be one yoke of the u joint. This box is upgraded to the modern fine spline. Anyone out there interested in the two generators and one of the frame adapters, one gentleman would like to buy the steering box,one adapter,and one pitman arm only. I may split this up and sell the parts off separately any interest Please Contact Me Thank You Kevin

nice setup. I have about the same thing complete on a shelf. took it out of my B model as it didn't feel right in a single axle, you also have to add an extra shim under the spring pack when you add this setup. my box has the yolk closer to the box. I imagine this is just the difference in the column length. mine also has the Vickers style pump that drives off the back of the air compressor with a belt.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg