BIG Dump Trucks

In 2000 I with with a small convoy making our way to the ATHS Valley Forge show and we stopped at a little truck stop in Kentucky. With us was Jon Guss a member from Utah and he had a nice old Pete with transfer boxes. The tongue on the pull trailer was really long as well and I questioned him if it was even legal in the east as I had never seen one back there. Anyways we are at the fuel pumps and to R model triaxles pull in with the really big dump boxes. You could tell by the accent that these 2 were locals. they spent some time walking around the rig and finally asked Jon what the heck was the purpose of that setup. So Jon explained the transfer dump part and then said with the spread he could also be legal at 80k. They commented back and I believe it was something like near 100k with a special asphalt season permit on those short wheelbase triaxle Macks. That took everyone back as that was unheard of out west and especially on the back of a Peterbilt!

• Like 1

"unheardof.....Especially on the back of a Peterbilt" thats cause they cant haul it without breaking crossmembers, the one behind the cab mainly.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

How much are those tandem trucks allowed to haul on the road down in the TN/KY/WV area? Here in pa we can put 58400 on a tandem on regular roads, and 56000 on interstates..Nj you can put 70K on tandems, dont know about their interstate law thogh

here in wv were allowed 66k on road in a tandem. Triaxle im Not Sure on and the regular 80k on high way with tractors. But for coal hauls wv has certin routes (2 lane roads mostly) that are permitted roads and if you have your coal resource transportation permit you are good to haul 126k on tractors with a 3 down trailer, and I think tri axles are good to 80k I think but I might be wrong on their weight

what do you guys run 50k rear and a 22 front?

My poor u model dump was a tractor, its only 34k/12k axles, and i think the front springs are only 10.5s. It gets a little scary with 15 tons on it, its right around 51k at that point.

79 U

237 5 sp

what do you guys run 50k rear and a 22 front?

My poor u model dump was a tractor, its only 34k/12k axles, and i think the front springs are only 10.5s. It gets a little scary with 15 tons on it, its right around 51k at that point.

The standard spec for many years was 20 or 18 on the front and 55, 58 or 65 rears on big rubber. Now most tandems are 20 on the front and 52 rears with 12r24,5 rubber.

The standard spec for many years was 20 or 18 on the front and 55, 58 or 65 rears on big rubber. Now most tandems are 20 on the front and 52 rears with 12r24,5 rubber.

Its funny you say that most tandems have 52 rears and small rubber. We have always called them when we see them an "H&H Special". They always stocked and sold alot of them with that combo and bibeau bodies. Cambria and Trenton sold and stocked more trucks with 58's and 24" rubber and had stock truck with b-d body. Id say still 50/50 24.5-24" rubber mix in Central Jersey.

Its funny you say that most tandems have 52 rears and small rubber. We have always called them when we see them an "H&H Special". They always stocked and sold alot of them with that combo and bibeau bodies. Cambria and Trenton sold and stocked more trucks with 58's and 24" rubber and had stock truck with b-d body. Id say still 50/50 24.5-24" rubber mix in Central Jersey.

Good point Maxidyne. Years ago when H and H was Jerry Jones Mack they would spec a lot of their tandems with 11r22's tube type. Also Sanchez always provided the bodies for the stocked trucks so most of them had Brandons or Beu Rocs. When I worked at H and H there there was only an occasion when we would get a truck to go to Bristol Donald. My opinion 58's all the way. We never had any problems with them. Joe Gulino is always changing pads on the 52's.

TN most dumps are triaxles with 18-20k steer, 18-20k tag and 44-46k rears most with 385 or 425 floats on the steer, 11r22.5's on the tag and 11r24.5's on the drive and 16' bodies.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 3 weeks later...

Just need to mount her a seat on the front bumper-

attachicon.giffat-girl-with-hose.jpg

or maybe you'd need a two seater-

attachicon.giffat-girls-pickup-truckb.jpg

Good Lord one was bad enuff but you had to go ahead and post a picture of two of those beasts. The two of them together got to weigh half a ton . They don't have feet they have hoofs

Local 282 Union Service