M Drive Issues

Mack Doctor Jr.

Has anyone ever had any issues with the M Drive? He is my situation, we bought 2 2013's off of Iron Planet. We drove to Georgia to pick them up and only brought one back.

U could build air, push the yellow button in and while holding the brake put it in gear and move the truck. The next time u make a complete stop the truck would not move at all. U could mess with it buy building air and tapping the brake pedal and eventually get it to move and it would shift and fun perfect till u make a complete stop.

It seemed to me there was a connection between holding the brake pedal down to let the trans shift in at a complete stop. Im not sure if there is an airline that goes from the foot valve to the trans that was causing this issue. The air app. gauge was showing it was holding air somehow and not releasing to let the truck move. the truck would go in gear but the brakes would lock the truck down like u were holding the brakes as tight as u can.

The reason I ask about the trans is cause it only did this when u stop and make a gear selection and or just make a stop period. Trans shifts but the brakes are locked.

It rained in Atlanta for 3 hrs straight and when it quit the guys closed the doors to go home.

Maybe you have a problem with the hill assist staying on. I THINK there is a brake switch and a sensor inside the TECU that determines the degree of hill the truck in on while hill assist is activated. Maybe the hill assist is staying active due to a bad brake switch. That could explain why pumping the brakes gets you moving. Take it to a dealer.

The brake switch would be behind the drivers lower dash panels in the air manifold (atleast I think so). I dont think this will be something you can repair in the yard. In fact, I dont think there is anything that can be repaired or replaced on the M Drive/ I Shift outside of a dealer.

On a side note, we have 3 IShifts (mdrive) on the ground being replaced.

Y are the being replaced? I thought these were good transmissions?

Usually around 200,000-300,000 miles they need replaced. The only replaceable parts were the TECU, top cover, and of course the entire trans. So ANY kind of internal damage resulted in replacing the entire trans. The input shaft bearing has a end play reading of 0". So any play in the input shaft resulted in trans replacement. 7 out of 10 trans were replaced from this. Im no engineer, but having a single countershaft and an input bearing with 0 endplay sounds like trouble.

Volvo just came out with partial rebuilds.

1 complete rebuild

2 main case and rear case rebuild. This one doesnt come with a top cover or TECU. You would use the ones off the old trans.

3 only main case rebuild. You would have to use your old rear case, top cover and TECU.

I wouldnt say its a bad trans, just the fact that you cant replace 2 gears and a sliding clutch makes it different.

I just couldnt do it, the whole reason I like a Mack trans is the triple countershaft design, an eaton double countershaft is fragile enough and now they are going to put big torque thru a single counttershaft transmission with 0 tolerance, Im out! I hear they drive great and for an owner operator that really takes care of their truck they may last but just the fact that you HAVE to go to the dealer for a clutch job makes it a no go for me, I cant see Mack being cheap on a clutch job and "calibration" and the fact the Mack has been told by Volvo that they will not support products over 15 years old means it will HAVE to be replaced by then or you will be on your own for parts and everything.

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Has anyone ever had any issues with the M Drive? He is my situation, we bought 2 2013's off of Iron Planet. We drove to Georgia to pick them up and only brought one back.

U could build air, push the yellow button in and while holding the brake put it in gear and move the truck. The next time u make a complete stop the truck would not move at all. U could mess with it buy building air and tapping the brake pedal and eventually get it to move and it would shift and fun perfect till u make a complete stop.

It seemed to me there was a connection between holding the brake pedal down to let the trans shift in at a complete stop. Im not sure if there is an airline that goes from the foot valve to the trans that was causing this issue. The air app. gauge was showing it was holding air somehow and not releasing to let the truck move. the truck would go in gear but the brakes would lock the truck down like u were holding the brakes as tight as u can.

The reason I ask about the trans is cause it only did this when u stop and make a gear selection and or just make a stop period. Trans shifts but the brakes are locked.

It rained in Atlanta for 3 hrs straight and when it quit the guys closed the doors to go home.

Under the shift selector inside the cab, disconnect the harness going to the shifter for 5 min. This will reset the TECU, but prior to that disconnect the positive and negative battery cables ((completely from the unit)) for 30 min, as this will reset/reboot the VECU and then do the shifter harness for 5 min. If there is a communication issue through the canbus line with these ECUs this processes should clear up the issues, if not head in to dealer for repair.

• 2 weeks later...

i know volvo cars are a different company than volvo trucks but my aunt had a volvo cross country wagon that she bought used with about 150k miles on it and the automatic transmission went bad on it shortly after that , come to find out you cant rebuild the transmission you cant even open it up to look at whats wrong its a sealed unit . reminds me of the m drive, volvo garage told her she would have to buy a used tranny or a brand new one. she couldnt find a used one because all the cross countrys in the junk yards were because of blown transmissions. dont make sense to me why you would design something like that,

I was talkin to a Q/C driver yesterday and he was drivin one of there new ones, he said when there grossed out at 80,000 an pullin hard the trans runs hot on a hard pull and a single shaft trany it would make sense! They are new and look good but 309 Mack has a shit load of them over in there yard with or without sleepers that Q/C is not taken! And there priced right from what I'm told!

BULLHUSK

• 7 years later...
On 10/10/2013 at 8:18 AM, Mack Doctor Jr. said:

Well they found a mud dobber bug in one of the air valves. It had to do with the braking system that let's tells the transmission braking to let the truck move.

Do you know which valve having the same problem

1 hour ago, Ngrace24 said:

Do you know which valve having the same problem

You do realise you've revived a Seven & a Half year old Thread...????

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -