I'm I reading this wrong ??? last statement was  a REAR MOUNT   PTO. thought whole purpose of rear mount was to eliminate  the trans gear position? a 6 speed dump could operate spreading  etc in a gear suited for operation.  side mount needed a gear selection  == main in gear for pto speed and aux in neutral . original post from yrs back was for a question of gear position. last one was rear mount .

1 minute ago, mechohaulic said:

I'm I reading this wrong ??? last statement was  a REAR MOUNT   PTO. thought whole purpose of rear mount was to eliminate  the trans gear position? a 6 speed dump could operate spreading  etc in a gear suited for operation.  side mount needed a gear selection  == main in gear for pto speed and aux in neutral . original post from yrs back was for a question of gear position. last one was rear mount .

Good point.

• Thanks 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Very interesting guys.    Ya the one I have is a mechanical shift PTO.   I have not engaged the PTO on that truck yet as it's just getting back together....but I will play with it both ways, main in N and aux in N.    Im always a less confident with that aux box being in N position as they seem/feel less assuring as there isn't much wiggle room on the stick....so I always release the clutch real slow JUST IN CASE it's not actually in N

• Like 1

I am just sitting here thinking wait a minute if the main box is not in gear, the  auxiliary gears are not going to turn  at all. Ha ha as I mentioned, I haven’t use my PTO and over 25 years. My DM used to be a dump truck took the body off years ago. 

27 minutes ago, Full Floater said:

Very interesting guys.    Ya the one I have is a mechanical shift PTO.   I have not engaged the PTO on that truck yet as it's just getting back together....but I will play with it both ways, main in N and aux in N.    Im always a less confident with that aux box being in N position as they seem/feel less assuring as there isn't much wiggle room on the stick....so I always release the clutch real slow JUST IN CASE it's not actually in N

I'm sure you'll figure it out as soon as you engage it.

Just let us know what all you learn!

Just now, mowerman said:

I am just sitting here thinking wait a minute if the main box is not in gear, the  auxiliary gears are not going to turn  at all. Ha ha as I mentioned, I haven’t use my PTO and over 25 years. My DM used to be a dump truck took the body off years ago. 

That's why I am so interested in what TJC said!  I'd really like to know how that setup he mentioned worked.

1 minute ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

That's why I am so interested in what TJC said!  I'd really like to know how that setup he mentioned worked.

Yes, mine had to be in gear main box auxiliary in neutral then there was a third lever for the PTO operation

This is what we had...

If you wanted to sit still and raise the bed, put the compound in neutral and the main in gear.  If you wanted to move wile raising it, put the compound in gear and pick the main gear that suited the situation.

image.png.d95e7f7322a248465c22e7f9b2049661.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

This is what we had...

If you wanted to sit still and raise the bed, put the compound in neutral and the main in gear.  If you wanted to move wile raising it, put the compound in gear and pick the main gear that suited the situation.

image.png.d95e7f7322a248465c22e7f9b2049661.png

so are we talking about a SIDE  mount or REAR mount  PTO ??  problem with the side mount on 6 speed was to be in a suitable gear for body raise (3 or 4 ) , couldn't take off and move . 1st gear take off was tooo slow for body up. been there done that. try and pull a asphalt spreader = I know pulling the spreader was the dinosaur days (my time slot ). todays world spreaders push the truck. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mowerman said:

Yes, mine had to be in gear main box auxiliary in neutral then there was a third lever for the PTO operation

must have been manual engage PTO instead of air operated. would account for third lever. I built a system  for customer that had 4 lever system. pain in ass job. ford single axle dump  with a flink chip spreader for oiling roads. trans had two PTO's  plus up/down body lever also on/off flink spreader. challenge to find pto that was left side mount and ran proper rotation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Yeah, I may have spoken out of ignorance!  I'm thinking back to a particular truck I remember.  It had a 2-stick Maxitorque "Extended Range 6-Speed".  On that one, if the mainshaft wasn't turning, there was nothing happening in the rear box either.  Not sure where the PTO was mounted on it, though.  That one required the front box to be in gear to spin the PTO.  But, you had a selection of PTO speeds to choose from, which was useful sometimes.

But, since the countershafts are powered even when the front box is in neutral, I suppose you could power the PTO off of one of them, albeit at a constant ratio.

TJC, you've got me curious.  What box did you have where there was power coming off the auxiliary when the main was not turning?  That's an interesting setup.  I'd like to see how they routed the power through that one.  Sure would like to know more about that one!

I'll go with trans was rear mount pto  ' constant speed . POSSIBLY  aux was left in gear force of habit ; easier to move truck when only one stick had to be  moved?  same as a duplex/ tri/ or quad box. to have a neutral position only one stick needed to be moved ???? 

So, if a PTO is driven off a main box countershaft, it would be live any time the clutch was out. Speed would be constant. 
If it’s driven off a shaft in the compound, the main box gear selection would determine the speed, and would have to be in gear to rotate the compound input shaft. 
So, I guess there would be several ways to set that up. 
Very interesting stuff. Great discussion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Ok.. rear mount uses the bottom counter shaft. I believe side mount does too. Therefore the same countershaft is turning, but PTO position is different

for discussion ONLY 😇; not to object ' memory serves correctly  the tri-countershaft transmissions use TOP right counter shaft ???  looking at the trans a side mount bolts higher up and is angled due to trans shape ???  to mount a LEFT  side PTO ;which uses the lower countershaft;; a large adapter plate bolts on trans  to which has the smaller standard pto bolt pattern. above statement validated cause I just looked at my 1/25th scale mack 6 speed !! LOL

5 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

so are we talking about a SIDE  mount or REAR mount  PTO ??  problem with the side mount on 6 speed was to be in a suitable gear for body raise (3 or 4 ) , couldn't take off and move . 1st gear take off was tooo slow for body up. been there done that. try and pull a asphalt spreader = I know pulling the spreader was the dinosaur days (my time slot ). todays world spreaders push the truck. 

And there slowly doing away with pushing the trucks,they dump into a transfer machine that conveys the asphalt to the spreader,nothing touches the spreader and it never has to stop in-between loads,end result super smooth roads..

1 minute ago, MACKS said:

And there slowly doing away with pushing the trucks,they dump into a transfer machine that conveys the asphalt to the spreader,nothing touches the spreader and it never has to stop in-between loads,end result super smooth roads..

modern technology . in the day a spreader box couldn't hold a full load of asphalt either. looking at shape of CT roads, they don't use them here. NO SMOOTH ROADS HERE.

9 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

modern technology . in the day a spreader box couldn't hold a full load of asphalt either. looking at shape of CT roads, they don't use them here. NO SMOOTH ROADS HERE.

Same here in Ny in fact there still bumpy after they re surface them..lol