Anyone ever use/buy aftermarket doors?

I found a place in Texas that handles aftermarket R model doors, they are $255 plus shipping to KC they quoted $100 either on a skid or double boxed with insurance.

The doors are made in Taiwan and they said no one has complained about fitment. I have looked at used doors and the least expensive is $400 and its stripped with dings and surface rust. My door I could fix with a patch panel but for the cost of the panel and labor to make it look like I didn't do it is about $450.

Suggestions, if I do go this route I will probably replace both doors as they will need to be painted on the inside of the cab side.

Here is the PDF for the door M0260B.146105127.pdf

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

JUNK! they may fit well but you may have to tap the outer edge in with a hammer so it doesn't rub and trust me, when you close them, you will know the difference. its like closing the door and hearing a piece of roofing tin rattle. cheap, thin, junky. totally not a solid door closing sound like a good old R model or B model door. not that the early R model latch was a prize cause it was a piece of junk compared to the B model latch also.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

It's funny you ask, I just talked to Renee at Dawson about a driver's door for my RD today. I bought one for my R model 4 or 5 years ago and other than a hollow clanging sound, it worked alot better than the busted up one I had. The price hasn't went up a nickel since then, either. I plan on putting Dynamat on the inside to quiet it down a little. I heard a door shell from Mack is close to a grand now. That's a tad much, if you ask me.

Jake

It's funny you ask, I just talked to Renee at Dawson about a driver's door for my RD today. I bought one for my R model 4 or 5 years ago and other than a hollow clanging sound, it worked alot better than the busted up one I had. The price hasn't went up a nickel since then, either. I plan on putting Dynamat on the inside to quiet it down a little. I heard a door shell from Mack is close to a grand now. That's a tad much, if you ask me.

I used one and the hole for the lock wasent in the door

I agree with Matt about the aftermarket doors being junk! friend of my runs an R-Model in jersey,his drivers side door had some rust "issues" and decided to have me re-paint-replace the door. Long story short,they are made cheaply,lousy job of spot-welding,a lot of crap inside that messes with the window regulator,no holes for the window/door handle,vent window did not want to fit either and they needed a ton of bodywork right out of the crate! personally i'd redo what I had as in my opinion they are more trouble then there worth.........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

That's right and when I spoke with Mack they said they only had one in the system. As far as the tin hollow sound its because of not being coated on the inside. My one of my B doors sound the same looked like some of the undercoating had been lost, I sprayed under coating on the inside of both doors and it sounds better. My R has tinny sound on the passenger side and the window rattles almost like the door is open. As far as the lock issue I only need one on the drivers side. When I redid the channel and stuff on my B H ad to drill some different holes for that.

Check with Mike Harbison (Superdog). He might have some good R/F/DM/U Model doors.

Terry we already talked about it.

I agree with Matt about the aftermarket doors being junk! friend of my runs an R-Model in jersey,his drivers side door had some rust "issues" and decided to have me re-paint-replace the door. Long story short,they are made cheaply,lousy job of spot-welding,a lot of crap inside that messes with the window regulator,no holes for the window/door handle,vent window did not want to fit either and they needed a ton of bodywork right out of the crate! personally i'd redo what I had as in my opinion they are more trouble then there worth.........................Mark

Mark where did that door come from? I know from working on Chevrolets that a autozone door and a LMC door are very different.

Robert

I don't remember the manfs. name,but they came from China,in a crate,very poor quality! and I have to agree,i have Goodmark LLC. doors and hood on my 70 C-10 pickup,and have nothing but good things to say about them (other than being dinged up when they arrived,but that's Roadways fault!)if I get a chance,i'll call my buddy and see if he remembers where he ordered them from...................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I'm having second thoughts on the Dawson doors after hearing all the bad things about them. I called a friend of mine in Memphis, and he has two OEM Mack DM doors in the crate for $300 each. They'll have to have the channel trimmed off the bottom, but I think I'm going to try to buy both of them. I only need one, if you want one, thomastractor.

Jake

The body guy I am working with is supposed to come on Monday, I will talk to him about the doors, if you had good luck 4 years ago why change? If the doors are made in Taiwan quality is different than China.

The lock issue is the doors are made for the new style doors where they changed the lock mech, it says that in the pdf

Robert

doors on both of our truck, the R and Dm at work are both Taiwan doors. what junk. locks didn't fit, latches didn't fit, tin sound when you close , IF they close. they flex so bad your lucky to get them closed and they are really our of shape. you would think a square shaped door would fit a square shaped cab, not so. id look for good used R models doors before id ever buy one of those junk China or Taiwan doors from Mack

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered this patch panel off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOWER-DOOR-SKIN-MACK-TRUCK-1965-82-R-R-3-MODELS-NEW-/400561312830?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4350943e&vxp=mtr my body guy said he could easily fix the door.

After a couple days, I got the patch panel and went to see how it matched as it was not stamped. Its was 1/2" to big so I sent the patch panel back, looked like the guy just banged it out in his basement. He refunded the money and shipping with no issues and I sent it back. I guess for way less I will just hammer and bang one out myself.

Robert

• 4 weeks later...