I see the problem.

mack mhe9

Seems I remember a Freightliner condo being around 13' tall, wouldn't a 3' tall trailer get that closer to 16'? I won't comment on the weight distribution its been said.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The crack issue has affected thier ability to think logically.

Did this guy have a foreign accent? Sounds like the same outfit that picked up at my place a few weeks ago with an overloaded f350. I posted pictures in another thread.

The set up was licensed out of Cal. And it Said not for hire on the door. I tried to explain it was all wrong in all the ways as described above and then some but I don't think they understood my English accent. Yes they where at 14.6 high. When you leave Penn Diesel it's about a 9% hill up to the light. I think I did the right thing and called the state police they said they would send a car buy to check it out but there's nothing they could do.

• Like 1

My thought is they never made the scale house, about the time they hit 40 I would think that trailer would start whipping back and forth & they'd be lucky if they only ended up jack-knifed in the ditch...

My thought is they never made the scale house, about the time they hit 40 I would think that trailer would start whipping back and forth & they'd be lucky if they only ended up jack-knifed in the ditch...

Well that would be the way it would happen if this was an isolated incident just trying to get home, however those that do this every day seem to be immune from the law I see em all the time and they just seem to keep on going without consequence.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Too their defense, I don't think the weight is the real issue. What's the truck? 13K? 14K? Throw 2K for the trailer. Not really all that overweight to be pulled by the PSD. My race trailer is 14K and I'm light compared to some of the 45-50ft trailers out there(and I pulled it with '96, 00 and 2000 F350's). Look at some of the 5'r campers these guys are pulling with single wheel 3/4 ton trucks. They did put the motor back over the axles(smarter move), as the truck would not support that kind of pin weight. My trailer was 3K on the pin and handled perfect. It ran up Fancy gap in 6th gear just feathering the throttle.

Height? Ya, probably gunno get some power lines or maybe a brigde somewhere along the line.

Rob brought his R model home on a similar trailer with his crusty Dodge.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Yes I think gross would be fine, but 9000 steer axle sitting on the very back edge off the trailers going to wreak havoc with handling. And when they tow backward the air fights to get around the cab causing it to push side to side. It will be a handful.

Actually I think they are carrying more than just 9K behind the trailer axles when you take into consideration the slope of the trailer & the afore mentioned air pushing on the back side of that tractor.

I once loaded my Kawasaki Mule & Pop-up camper on a tandem axle open car trailer. I thought I had the camper axle close enough to the trailer axles but I didn't. I made it to the 60mph speed zone & was real close to being upside down in the median of US 30 only 6 miles from where we started. I reloaded by backing the camper onto the trailer then running the Mule up some ramps we had with us over the tongue of the camper moving 95% of the weight over the axles and onto the tongue. A much nicer ride for the other 494 miles. The below picture was after the reload.

post-45-0-09774700-1376070239_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Too their defense, I don't think the weight is the real issue. What's the truck? 13K? 14K? Throw 2K for the trailer. Not really all that overweight to be pulled by the PSD. My race trailer is 14K and I'm light compared to some of the 45-50ft trailers out there(and I pulled it with '96, 00 and 2000 F350's). Look at some of the 5'r campers these guys are pulling with single wheel 3/4 ton trucks. They did put the motor back over the axles(smarter move), as the truck would not support that kind of pin weight. My trailer was 3K on the pin and handled perfect. It ran up Fancy gap in 6th gear just feathering the throttle.

Height? Ya, probably gunno get some power lines or maybe a brigde somewhere along the line.

Very good point Larry.....Just wondering, but uh if the truck they are hauling has stacks behind the sleeper was they smart enough to tape the openings up? Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the air going into the exhaust mess the turbo up with the fin going backwards? I've always heard that but never knew...

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

If that trailer is a tandem dully- you're looking at 5 or 6k right there for the trailer. My day cab tractor is 16.5k . That is 21.5k conservatively with my truck! Behind a 10k truck?? Even if that is loaded properly it's quite a load.

if that Freightshaker has a 12L Detroit its gonna weigh about 16,000, add 5k for the trailer you get 21k that is probably good on that trailer maybe 1k over but not more than I have hauled. However loaded like it is they have more like 60% of the weight of the truck behind the axles and the added forces of the wind on the back of that sleeper with the side fairings keeping it in, then add the height of 14'6" and..........., seems if they died in a fiery crash on the trip we wouldnt be losing much, Im just sayin.

Oh the turbo thing is actually an issue of the turbo spinning with no lubrication, not spinning backwards, when the engine is off so is the turbos oil supply and most turos dont have bearings they have bushings and they actually float on a thin layer of oil that being why they need to be balanced properly, no oil means metal to metal contact.

• Like 1

If the exhausts pointed int the wind I tape them up. Like 84 said its spinning with no lubracation and a mile or two I wouldn't worry but after 600 miles at hwy speeds its turning an awful lot.

Thats what I thought...thank you

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Well you know the DOT... always around when you don't need them, and never around when you do.

Me personally, I very rarely need them around.

You meant......always around when you don't want them, and never around when you do.