So I have to replace some bearings

hatcity

Had tire issues yesterday. as I'm checking things, I notice the axle end play is about 1/2 inch. OK, I have bearings and seal at the yard. get there this morning and A) replacement tire is flat B) 1/2 inch air hose for the impact has a hole. Get new hose and proceed to start taking everything apart. Lots of metal shavings as soon as the axle breaks the seal. Lots more when I get bearings out.

Decide to change the other side, but don't have another set. Monday will be a parts run first thing.

Several questions-the spindle has a metal ring that was for a different seal than what was original.

how can I remove this? or just get the same seal that just came off? Also, how would I flush the rear end? Drain plug is out and will let it drip.

Lucky I have several days off to get this all done

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

The best way to get the wear ring off is to carefully hit it with a small ball pien hammer.This will stretch it and it will come right off. Don't ever use a chisel or you can ruin the spindle.I would flush the rear with diesel fuel and use a rag on a broom handle or such to clean out the housing after the axle shafts are out.Enjoy the weekend. Steve

• Like 1

Was thinking diesel, but was wondering about residue thinning gear lube. Maybe such a small amount would not hurt. understand about the wear ring.

Thank You

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Ya know David, it may be possible. I watched everything after that for about 2 weeks. Had heard all kinds of stories from others, but never saw anything. That happened over a year ago. I thought things would show up sooner. The truck does a lot of tight turning, back and forth stuff, so it may have just been time.

Ya know David, it may be possible. I watched everything after that for about 2 weeks. Had heard all kinds of stories from others, but never saw anything. That happened over a year ago. I thought things would show up sooner. The truck does a lot of tight turning, back and forth stuff, so it may have just been time.

I remember seeing the picture of the "shock treatment". If it wasn't a Mack it would have been a lot worse ;) Good luck Ed with the bearing.

• Like 1

Y'all gonna start dragging my history back up?

No problem-I effed up big. I admit it. Change in procedures and double check/triple check before I move

thinking this year to replace all the wheel bearings on the rear and lift axle myself. Might do the trailer to as I get some odd wear sometimes.

Had tire issues yesterday. as I'm checking things, I notice the axle end play is about 1/2 inch. OK, I have bearings and seal at the yard. get there this morning and A) replacement tire is flat B) 1/2 inch air hose for the impact has a hole. Get new hose and proceed to start taking everything apart. Lots of metal shavings as soon as the axle breaks the seal. Lots more when I get bearings out.

Decide to change the other side, but don't have another set. Monday will be a parts run first thing.

Several questions-the spindle has a metal ring that was for a different seal than what was original.

how can I remove this? or just get the same seal that just came off? Also, how would I flush the rear end? Drain plug is out and will let it drip.

Lucky I have several days off to get this all done

if its got a wear ring,,,it probably needs it,,,the parts house should carry those,,,its a commen item...good luck.bob

Are those lines behind the truck too?

In the first pic? no. That is a catch fence at the landfill.

Please appreciate the flat tires. All 10 on the ground were shot

Cut the neutral, got caught by the 7000 line

Y'all gonna start dragging my history back up?

No problem-I effed up big. I admit it. Change in procedures and double check/triple check before I move

First,everyone screws up, big or small, noticed or not, shit happens, part of the game

Second, not trying to hijack your post, just started typing....

Hooking hydro lines is one of my fears. I once pulled a cable tv line down, not hazardous, but frightening when all I saw in the mirror was cable whipping around behind me. That was the last time I took someone else's advice on directions. I make a point to have a good look around on sites for overhead anything, may look kinda dumb, me stopping and standing on the steps of the truck staring at what appears to be nothing, but that's a chance I don't wanna take. We had a guy (a "hotshot" to be polite) last summer driving the old bitch when we went to a house the owner of the company I work for rents to university students. We went over to clean it out on a rain day, and the driveway was tight for a 30yd can, but it would fit. Well, captain rammy neglected to heed my advice about the hydro lines coming from a neighbouring house and hooked the insulated part of the wire and started to pull them out before he saw THREE of us waving and yelling that he was caught....Had he dropped in 2' further back,like I suggested, he could have set it down and not come near them. But hotshot oil patch heavy hauler "knew what he was doing". Point is, he didn't learn, and that's my definition of stupid.

A mistake made, and learned from, is a lesson.

Sorry again for the irrelevant post to the wheel bearings

• Like 1

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Not irrelevant at all.

we in the garbage bizz are in every neighborhood at some point in time.

And roll-off is worse as you are in the driveways.

As I approach a pile of debris, I start looking all around. sometimes I have to move 2 feet for better clearance.

OR, write up for smaller truck.

Yep, doo-doo happens. Just hope its only truck damage not bodily damage

Not irrelevant at all.

we in the garbage bizz are in every neighborhood at some point in time.

And roll-off is worse as you are in the driveways.

As I approach a pile of debris, I start looking all around. sometimes I have to move 2 feet for better clearance.

OR, write up for smaller truck.

Yep, doo-doo happens. Just hope its only truck damage not bodily damage

That's where I luck out, we do mostly (but not exclusively) commercial and industrial flat roofs. Not to too bad most of the time. But the most recent pics I uploaded were downtown Guelph, and the tightest spot I have ever had to wiggle into. Should have taken some pics of the overhead wires strung all over, and the ridiculous placement of poles to the buildings....... The odd church or school in residential areas, but, that's part of the fun.....hahaha...yea, fun.........

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....