Junk yard in Hagerstown

smorse54

I dunno im not a CH fan but the driven for a century truck needs to be saved and that light blue gray B model cab appears to be pristine

I agree! sorry I didn't get to meet you at Macungie,but I did give your B-Model a good looking over,and I gotta tell you,that is a really sharp truck! one of the best looking "old school" trucks there in my opinion,looks just right,not goobered up with too much B.S. just the way a B was supposed to look. were I to ever restore one,prolly look a lot like yours!.......................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Wish I lived closer Id like to see those in person for myself .

kinda reminds me of a place 30 miles north of me http://baskintrucksales.com/default.htm. The only thing is ya gotta watch lil Don Baskin he screw ya w/o any KY Jelly if ya let him . But I still like going up there seeing what he has on the lot to this day.

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

kinda reminds me of a place 30 miles north of me http://baskintrucksales.com/default.htm. The only thing is ya gotta watch lil Don Baskin he screw ya w/o any KY Jelly if ya let him . But I still like going up there seeing what he has on the lot to this day.

Good ol Baskin, had some friends drive from Murfreesboro to his lot to look at dump trucks, I told em not to waste the trip but they found out the hard way. Baskin gets some neat ol Mack's but he's a high priced junk merchant fur sure.
  • Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

BE CAREFUL! I am friends with Farmer52 and the owner of the towing company, both are great people. I am not sure what has affected Ken's opinion and that is not important to each one of us making our own determinations.

If you do go to visit I urge you to go with a purpose as there has been an issue with vandalism and theft. Remember, trespassing is illegal and just not the right way to go about things.

We all have an appreciation of old trucks, especially Macks.

guys try to remember the guys at the towing company are very busy and are very good people to deal with

I did call, they dont look really enthusiast with visitors and they dont want to sell any of the ex mack truck mack..

So from the looks of those pics if they arent going to sell any of them they are just planning to let them rust to the ground, gee that makes much more sense than to let someone that will take care of the trucks and either use them or show them have at em. I dont know the guys there and I have no real basis, but people that let things rot like that or scrap them as opposed to selling them to someone that wants them make me mad, thats where most of our Icons went in this country, the scrap pile!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

So from the looks of those pics if they arent going to sell any of them they are just planning to let them rust to the ground, gee that makes much more sense than to let someone that will take care of the trucks and either use them or show them have at em. I dont know the guys there and I have no real basis, but people that let things rot like that or scrap them as opposed to selling them to someone that wants them make me mad, thats where most of our Icons went in this country, the scrap pile!

don't mean to sound like an asshole but but if the man is still running trucks like these .witch he is don't you think it would be a parts source for him and if restored macks for people witch he does they may be good for that also and if the mack experts really knew what they were looking at they would know why those trucks are still there guys sometimes if you don't know something its far better to keep your mouth shut

don't mean to sound like an asshole but but if the man is still running trucks like these .witch he is don't you think it would be a parts source for him and if restored macks for people witch he does they may be good for that also and if the mack experts really knew what they were looking at they would know why those trucks are still there guys sometimes if you don't know something its far better to keep your mouth shut

Go back and read again I said I had no real basis, but it was said these were sitting in a junkyard not a trucking companys back lot for parts, and even if he were using them for parts it seems 5 MH's might be a little much maybe someone else might like to save one of them from rusting into the grass there, why not sell it. Also I said "people that let things rot like that or scrap them as opposed to selling them to someone that wants them make me mad" is the owner of that lots name included in the above? or was it a generalized statement about letting things rust versus saving them? I never said, "seeing those pics makes those guys assholes" I actually stated I dont know them then there was a comma and the rest of my statement. I wasnt knocking your friends, I was knocking the practice of letting rare vehicles rot to the ground, if they are using them for restorations good for them, then they are not letting them rot to the ground just because they dont want to sell them they actually serve a purpose and I am ok with them serving to get other trucks back running. The End.

Go back and read again I said I had no real basis, but it was said these were sitting in a junkyard not a trucking companys back lot for parts, and even if he were using them for parts it seems 5 MH's might be a little much maybe someone else might like to save one of them from rusting into the grass there, why not sell it. Also I said "people that let things rot like that or scrap them as opposed to selling them to someone that wants them make me mad" is the owner of that lots name included in the above? or was it a generalized statement about letting things rust versus saving them? I never said, "seeing those pics makes those guys assholes" I actually stated I dont know them then there was a comma and the rest of my statement. I wasnt knocking your friends, I was knocking the practice of letting rare vehicles rot to the ground, if they are using them for restorations good for them, then they are not letting them rot to the ground just because they dont want to sell them they actually serve a purpose and I am ok with them serving to get other trucks back running. The End.

like I said look at the trucks were do you think they came from the end.

Good ol Baskin, had some friends drive from Murfreesboro to his lot to look at dump trucks, I told em not to waste the trip but they found out the hard way. Baskin gets some neat ol Mack's but he's a high priced junk merchant fur sure.

When I was pulling FEMA Frames from 1 gulf stream plant to another (ELKHART, IN to Montevideo, MN) After Katrina I jaw jacked on the radio a lot in the T300 KW I was driving & I got asked by a driver where I was from cause o my southern accent somewhere around Eau Clarie, Wi . I told him Millington, TN he said oh home of the Navy Base & only bout 30 miles from HOOK EM & CROOK EM BASKIN . I Laughed I said yup I know Big Don & lil don both . told him my back ground in Farming & excavation & my family only does business w/ them as needed . . found out he was originally from Hernado,Ms & lived in N.Ill & drove regional .

It never ceases to amaze me no matter where I go someone knows about either Millington cause it was a training base before it was a personal base & then the owner operators that know about Baskin in Covington,Tn cause of how they have been hooked & crooked by them . Ive seen a bus pull up & 30 drivers get off the bus & Baskin sell 30 trucks to a fella & those 30 drivers he bused in drove out w/ a road tractor a piece . They definitely sell the trucks up there in Tipton County but I don't trust them far as I could throw a loaded tri axle DM Mack w/ 25 tons of CR610 Limestone .

We had a brake spider bust on a 77 DM Tandem dump we had . Tri State in Memphis told us a week due to a back up in the warehouse in ATL, Ga . Nobody else in Memphis had one . Pop Called Baskin they said oh yeah we got it . Regardless of me not wanting to go up there pop threatened me within an inch of my life so I went up there waited all day to get the damn part . Came back home to the shop behind the house went to put it on & the bolt holes where the wrong size . TOLD POP: HE WAS PISSED I WAS PISSED, THE DRIVER (Who also help me turn wrenches )was pissed , & he was really pissed when I told him so . ;) he told me don't remind me . ;)

Called TRI STATE Told em order the part & id be down there that day or 1st thing the next moring to pay fer it.

went back up there to get my $ back the counter man told me no cash returned I went told big Don Baskin what was up . he told me ok son I normally don't do this but I knew your dad I know your granddad & your just like them both you wont take no for an answer . he went to the cashier(his daughter) told her give my $ back that I had to pay fer the part @ Tri State . she started to protest . he told her to do it or else she was fired . Im only 1 of a few that I know of that ever got their money back from them .

Went to Tri State in Memphis the next day payed for the part had to wait 5 days & we was down to 1 dump truck for a few days (& lowboy tractor had to pull double duty tween lowboy & dump trailers) but finally got the RIGHT Part & got ole red back up & running again. After that & fight w/ pop on what should had been done in the 1st place he never went back to Baskin to buy even for the smallest thing . we would go up there & window shop @ trucks but never buy even a Coke from them . When it came to buying a used truck pop & myself went else where anywhere but there .

Yeah, they still have that old RS700L v8 truck that's been under water about 4 times down on the river advertised for $5500. I called and offered em $4500 and the guy on the phone said they wouldn't let it go for under $6000. I made a trip down there years ago to look at s couple RD Tri axles and after that waste of a day of my life and $100 in fuel I haven't been back.

I agree 100%! I've always been afraid to buy anything from him, but he comes up with some interesting stuff!

Jake

We West Coasters miss out on all the fun!

ya,,,the only place I know of out here,,with decent prices is speedway wrecking,in Fernley,,and norm taunton in galt California,,but last I heard norm had just about sold out to some one and just kept what he thought he was gonna need...but they did open a small mack dealer,,here in reno,a few years ago,,,haven't been in there yet...bob

Ya 84 Superdog & Jake : They had a tandem B61 Oilfield Winchtruck up there . but he wasnted $15k for it & wasn't worth $15k more like $4500 to $5000.00

& I Know the mack your talking about w/ the v8 I tried to buy it awhile back too but he wouldn't take my offer either . they are proud of their JUNK !

Hi Jake, You make any kind of deal on the B81 winch truck? Paul

Not yet, Mr. Paul... right now necessity is messing with my hobbies. I had to buy a trackhoe the other day so it will be a little while before I can do anything on it. If any of you are interested, though, I'd be glad to give out the guy's info. I'd much rather see one of you guys get it than let it rot waiting on my broke ass.

Jake

Are y'all talking about the V8, two stick six speed '74 model?

Yup, white truck with about a foot of dust in the cab.