Brockway Mack argument

A wildcat labor strike actually killed Brockway .... Mack told them they would close the plant but the union thought it was a bluff ..... Mack closed the plant and liquidated it with in a month ..... plus Brockway was having a hard time getting engines and other components.... Brockway had an order to fill for Iran so they shipped all the parts to Miami for final assembly

post-14937-0-14417000-1369066952_thumb.j

If you have or seen the Dec 1977issue of Overdrive mag, they did a roadtest/evaluation of the Superliner (preproduction) and said "Actually, the new Super-Liner cab incorporates many of the features of the late, great Brockway, the division of mack killed by corporate manipulation early this year; so for those brockway lovers, perhaps you can still get your thrills admiring and driving the spiritual brother of "the most rugged truck in the world."

Also the lo pro coe in Australia uses or used the Huskiteer (550) series cab for production there also.....

But one word for that blue truck from Australia- what a beautiful truck!! Love to have a hood like to convert my Cromwell 761 into a tile like that!!!

Clay

We've discussed the 1978 Brockway 760 Super-Liner prototype and the Mack (New Zealand) RB before (Only NZ had this model).

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/19327-interesting-new-trucks/page-9

Mack Trucks had provided Brockway with a modified R-model cab (altered front firewall and front side panels).

The wildcat strike killed Brockway. Mack's acquisition of Brockway gave the small truckmakers a second chance. They didn't have the money to design much-needed new cabs and Mack could provide. But in the end, with the wildcat strike, the death was self-inflicted.

Mack used that modified R-model cab as the basis for the RWL/RWS Super-Liner. But of course, the RWL/RWS had an entirely different lightweight west coast chassis. Every component from the hood on was completely different.

I'm fond of Brockway, but the only common part between the 1978 Brockway 760 Super-Liner prototype and the RWL/RWS Super-Liner was the Mack-sourced modified R-model CA49 cab.

2stack,

yes it is from Cromwell Concrete.Have had it since Aug 2002. The 761 in my avatar pic was owned by Bob "Oakey" Oakliff of Portland, Ct, (who found the Cromwell 761 for me), and is what it looked like when my brother drove it for 2 years for him back in the early 80's. it is what it will look like when she is done.......

I do have a regualr tilt nose which i want to install on the Cromwell along with a factory sleeper off another tilt nose....(40 in sit in)

Clay......

Oooops, my mistake I couldn't post the pic of Oakey's 761, so i used the Cromwell, just noticed that , duh!!!

Sorry for the confusion...

Anyway I bought his truck back in Nov 2011, after a friend of mine Mike Doucette of Glastonbury found it in Farmington back in 2007, 25 years after Oakey sold it..........

Actually the cabs for Brockway and Mack were proced by Shellar Globe

Yes, the Mack-designed R-U-DM cabs were produced under contract by Sheller-Globe.

CA36 (pre 1973 R-model)

CA361 (pre 1973 U-DM)

CA363 (post 73-81 U-model)

CA49 (post 73 R/RD/RS/RL - fiberglass and steel hood)

CA491 (post 73 DM - fiberglass hood / 81' on U-model)

CA492 (post 73 DM - steel hood)

CA494 (RWI600/700 Super-Liner)

I have an article on the development of the Brockway's Superliner, which I can not locate at this time. It has to do with Brockway getting into the O/O market, with its engineering and design concepts , pictures and renderings of many styles of Brockway's Superliner and what Mack did with them. I will find it someday.

FW

And now all the Macks are lookin like VOLVOS!! I guess there is a Brockway curse after all! Oh yah by the way,what kscarbel did not tell you in his post about the self-inflicted stuff is that the strike was called by there union rep and not voted on by the membership! Also the Brockway men were going back to work under a deal that they made with Mack I think it was April 29 or 30th but after the deal to sell Brock fell through mack walked away from there deal with the Brockway men! Also does anybody know who put the last batch of Brocks together tn Florida??????? ...... It was the loyal to the end Brockway guys! Yes the same ones that mack stuck it to!! Let the truth be told there Mr kscarbel it wasn't he union (and I have no love for unions) it was the fact that Brockway was starting to pass mack in the sales end and mack threw them to the curb and that my friends is why Brockway is no-more.......... Now lets see what Volvo has in store for mack?????....

BULLHUSK

Volvo killed Autocar and now they have killed Mack in my book..... not everyone needs an over the road looking truck ..... even the MR is all plastic inside .... the new trucks are built like a volvo not bulit like a Mack truck!!!! And boy oh boy do I miss my Brockway

post-14937-0-14417000-1369066952_thumb.j