Interesting New Trucks

What is the theory behind a tri drive? Why not just a tri axle with a lift? Wish business was better so we could pick up a tri axle Titan rawhide with a 605 in it. Would be sweet as hell!

Traction! a tandem with a tag limits traction on slick/soft ground, a tridem makes more traction and still distributes weight like a tandem with a tag. If loaded light a tridem will be squirrely too, there isnt much tractive effort when the weight of an empty truck is divided over 14 wheels so most tridems built are heavy chassis that will have something heavy mounted on them or will pull a dedicated trailer almost all of the time to keep the weight needed for traction, most are sold in Canada where the ground gets spongy and soft as it thaws(for the two warm months!).

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Like 84 Superdog said tractive force. But some people are going to them because you got states like Ga,Mo, and a few others that do not want controls inside and give you a ticket,take permits the whole nine yards. So if the axle has got to be down full time loaded might as well make it live. I have been toying with the idea of the next truck or taking my lift off and adding a live axle. Now out of the 2 or 3 times I have gotten stuck would a tridrive have helped. Idk but it couldn't of hurt.

With three axles down and live, I wonder how much does tire scuff increase in doing turns and in tight areas?
a lot, avoid tight areas with a tri drive, if your loaded youll push the steer tires in loose ground before it turns. I have been looking into a different option for a friends truck. I am balancing weight distribution with traction, I am going to pull his front drive out, put the rear on the front air suspension and mount a trailer axle on the rear air suspension, then move the leveling valve to the front and add a dump valve to the rear air bags operated from a second dash switch. If my engineering works out, it will get single axle fuel mileage, distribute his weight right loaded and when he needs traction he can dump the air on the rear putting all the weight on his drive aiding traction. I think I have the parts I need I have a remote air valve from a tag axle that when activated will block the air to the rear bags from the leveling valve and dump the pressure in the rear bags at the same time(Watson and chalin valve).

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

a lot, avoid tight areas with a tri drive, if your loaded youll push the steer tires in loose ground before it turns. I have been looking into a different option for a friends truck. I am balancing weight distribution with traction, I am going to pull his front drive out, put the rear on the front air suspension and mount a trailer axle on the rear air suspension, then move the leveling valve to the front and add a dump valve to the rear air bags operated from a second dash switch. If my engineering works out, it will get single axle fuel mileage, distribute his weight right loaded and when he needs traction he can dump the air on the rear putting all the weight on his drive aiding traction. I think I have the parts I need I have a remote air valve from a tag axle that when activated will block the air to the rear bags from the leveling valve and dump the pressure in the rear bags at the same time(Watson and chalin valve).

You do something like that, with pics and working, I will put your name up for the coveted "Redneck Engineering" award.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

You know I am not sure about that. Being mine is liftable but I leave it down most of the time esp in turns I really never have problems turning. With enough weight on the steer you can drag the rest of the truck anywhere you point the steer. Only 3 times I've slid. mostly when I was under 14k on the steer. You do want to avoid tight spots but it will turn. just hear more popping sounds

You do something like that, with pics and working, I will put your name up for the coveted "Redneck Engineering" award.

its in the works, just got to finalize and get the truck parked long enough.

You know I am not sure about that. Being mine is liftable but I leave it down most of the time esp in turns I really never have problems turning. With enough weight on the steer you can drag the rest of the truck anywhere you point the steer. Only 3 times I've slid. mostly when I was under 14k on the steer. You do want to avoid tight spots but it will turn. just hear more popping sounds

I've been running Tri axles and quads a long time too, most with tandem drives and air lift tags. The Tri drive pushes a lot more than a tag axle does, like I said in"soft or loose" ground they will push when light on the steer its worse going uphill where weight transfers to the rear. I try to avoid those popping sounds they are normally not good, you can use a Tri drive but in tight spots you have to work at it, and that steer will drag the rest around is normally peeling rubber off those steer tires.

Alot of my popping has been lack of grease. I hate climbing under this. Getting to the point of to fat to fit. Started taking it to Speedco and get the whole combo greased after every load and no more then 2 loads barring time constraints. Best 47 dollars I have spent.

I've been running Tri axles and quads a long time too, most with tandem drives and air lift tags. The Tri drive pushes a lot more than a tag axle does, like I said in"soft or loose" ground they will push when light on the steer its worse going uphill where weight transfers to the rear. I try to avoid those popping sounds they are normally not good, you can use a Tri drive but in tight spots you have to work at it, and that steer will drag the rest around is normally peeling rubber off those steer tires.

Yeah I average 1.5 to 2 years a pair of floats. Not for the fact of center tread but the inside/outside wear. From turning with the axle down just pulls the tires down. I hate it but cheaper then a ticket

CT gives you a certain amount of time to have your lift axle up while going around corners

Fl does to but Oh and some states do not. Also Oh will stop you and ask where the controls are. La will. Got asked in the scale one day empty and guy came out asking where the controls are. told him under the sleeper he looked didn't see it and I dropped it. Now had it been inside would I have gotten a ticket being empty

In states like that you need an 18k steer tag with 315/65r22.5's on it, you leave it down and your legal and no extra tire wear.

• 3 weeks later...

In the western Canadian provinces, a lift axle isn't allowed, so a tri-drive is needed for the weight they carry. And the added traction is a must for some off road work.

I have heard horror storys of lost steering when the tri-drive is all locked up, and under power on a turn,curve or bend on snowy or muddy roads.

With all 3 axles driving, and cross locks on and chained up, there is just too much force pushing the truck straight.

In New York any truck newer than 06 has to have a steerable lift axle on it and the pressure regulating valve has to be on the outside of the truck. Not allowed to lift on turns. If you get caught they weigh you as a tandem. We used to just hit the valve just to let some pressure off and hit it right away again so it really didn't look like it was coming up. Leaving a non steering axle down puts tons of stress on the axle and frame.

Cheers, Rob

Jeep ? ! That's a laugh, Chrysler is now owned by Fiat ! Not that I give 2 shits about Jeep since october 1987 ! If it wasn't built by American Motors its no true "Jeep" ! !

Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth-Ram/Mopar/Jeep all property of Fiat-USA !

Though Chrysler continued to use American Motors engines 11/87-9/06 ! ! I still ain't convinced the vehicle is of the same high quality ! ! !

Now Jeep being property of Fix It Again Tony doesn't exactly restore my confidence Jeep is back into the good yet.

Ok Fiat/Chrysler rant off ;o)

Volvo at least let's Mack trucks inc run as a separated entity along with Mack Defense LLC so they can adjust and operate as normal and as needed to compete. Volvo is wise in this because they don't have to worry about the 2 brands competing each other, Because those who buy Mack simply won't buy volvo and vice versa.

Wished Fiat/Chrysler would realize this as well and allow Jeep to build pickup trucks again ! ! !

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

Mack Showcases Natural Gas-Powered MACK® Pinnacle™ Built for UPS at MATS

Truck Displayed in Mack Booth #30245

LOUISVILLE, KY (March 21, 2013) – Mack Trucks today unveiled its highly anticipated 12-liter natural gas-powered MACK® Pinnacle™ Axle Back model during the 2013 Mid-America Trucking Show.

The natural gas-powered Mack Pinnacle, offering a liquefied natural gas (LNG) solution for on-highway applications, was built for UPS (NYSE: UPS).

The addition of the natural gas-powered Pinnacle expands Mack’s natural gas line-up to the highway segment. Mack already offers natural gas-powered MACK® TerraPro™ Low Entry and MACK® TerraPro™ Cabover refuse models, and later this year, plans to introduce a natural gas-powered version of the MACK® Granite® model.

“Mack began offering natural gas as an option as soon as it was clear the solution made sense for the refuse market,” said Kevin Flaherty, president, Mack Trucks North American Sales & Marketing. “The introduction of the natural gas-powered Mack Pinnacle expands our experience and expertise into another market segment, and serves as an example of our commitment to developing solutions meeting the needs of customers like UPS.”

“By expanding the UPS natural gas fleet, we have an opportunity to take advantage of a domestic resource, a domestic product and continue our sustainability efforts,” said Mike Britt, director of alternative fuel vehicle engineering at UPS. “Supporting the overall growth of LNG infrastructure ultimately benefits our customers and community by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.”

Ideal for regional haul and LTL, the Mack Pinnacle is equipped with the Cummins Westport ISX12 G engine and available for order with either an LNG or compressed natural gas (CNG) fuel system. The maintenance-free aftertreatment, requiring only a three-way catalyst to meet EPA 2010 and CARB emissions standards, combined with low-cost natural gas, reduces vehicle lifecycle costs and thereby improves customers’ return on investment.
post-334-0-74446300-1363967339.jpg
We buill this CXU632 the beginning of February. I understand we have some orders from another customer.
  • Like 1