I seen a few of these things on trucks at the Mack days show. Every one I have seen so far been behind a cummins engine. Are these setups hard to find and can they be set up behind a quadbox ? I just thought I would ask before I go looking from somthing I won't find. Thanks

Rudy

post-11429-0-57321200-1366787580_thumb.j

I have one on a LJX,far as I know it was for use on an aux.trans. only.

when I went to the Mack days show I seen 2 b87's both with the cummins engine and that b87 on eBay so I was figuring that the pier tower was only working with what ever trans set up those trucks came with. Thanks for your reply Superdog.

Rudy

I seen a few of these things on trucks at the Mack days show. Every one I have seen so far been behind a cummins engine. Are these setups hard to find and can they be set up behind a quadbox ? I just thought I would ask before I go looking from somthing I won't find. Thanks

Rudy

Rudy,

When I started working at Colonial Sand & Stone in 1971 I drove an International with a Rex horizontal mixer, mechanical drive. To shake down your load to get 12 yds in, you would have to put your 4 speed OD aux. (camel back trans.) in neutral and our 5 speed OD in third gear. Now when you put your hatch covers on and got to the job site you would again put your aux. in (N) and your main in 4th gear and mixed your load. Before you did any of this, there was a lever to engage the gears on top of your aux trans., I think it had 2 speeds

BULLHUSK

Rudy, When I started working at Colonial Sand & Stone in 1971 I drove an International with a Rex horizontal mixer, mechanical drive. To shake down your load to get 12 yds in, you would have to put your 4 speed OD aux. (camel back trans.) in neutral and our 5 speed OD in third gear. Now when you put your hatch covers on and got to the job site you would again put your aux. in (N) and your main in 4th gear and mixed your load. Before you did any of this, there was a lever to engage the gears on top of your aux trans., I think it had 2 speedsBULLHUSK

That's interesting how that setup works. I did see internationals for sale that said they had power towers on them. Where these things mounted right to the back of thr trans or was there a short jack shaft between it. I forgot to look at that when I took that picture that day.

Rudy

That's interesting how that setup works. I did see internationals for sale that said they had power towers on them. Where these things mounted right to the back of thr trans or was there a short jack shaft between it. I forgot to look at that when I took that picture that day.

Rudy

They were bolted to the top of the aux trans. With a drive shaft to the mixer trans.

Rudy,I have one on my B87 thats on top of the aux.trans.What 2 B87 did you see at the Mack Days.I was there and didn't see any,are you sure they werem't B81's.Thanks Mike Durkin

this one is the truck that the picture from my original post came from. I thought this truck was a b87 or it could be a b83. The truck with the silver bumper is a b87 almost sure.

post-11429-0-17608400-1366933808_thumb.j

post-11429-0-03256600-1366933862_thumb.j

post-11429-0-36384000-1366933993.jpg

A power tower is mounted on top of a aux. transmission on place of the top cover and shifting forks most have two speeds one direction and one the other they were popular around here on winch trucks so you could have multi speeds on the winch for example a five speed main and a aux. with power tower you would ten foward and five reverse speeds on your winch

The unit in the above picture apperes to be mounted on that small cast iron cross member and to the cross member that the rear of the cab is mounted to, if you look.close in the pic you can see the mount. Looking at my b81 the rear of my trans is about even with the back of the cab so I guessing that box in the above pic is mounted to the rear of the trans.