Army heavy hauler

Those things are like 58k how it sits. Forgot the hp range but thinking I was told around 800hp. 5 speed auto maybe a 6 speed.

The HET in the photos are early US DOD spec, 500 hp DDC 8V-92TTA, with a Allison 6 speed CLT-754

The current production (both US DOD & UK-HET) have the 750 hp Cat C-18. These are easy so spot with the longer & rounded hood.

Rick

Richard Mark

Owner / Master Model Maker

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

Got to drive one of these when I was a Firefighter at Aberdeen Proving Ground. Oshkosh had a field office there for their people who were assigned to APG TECOM (test and evaluation command) and being into trucks naturally I got friendly with the guys there. Let me take one of these around the test course for a couple of laps- WOW. Can't see a damn thing from them, but who cares, if you hit someone or something you aren't going to feel it.........

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Got to drive one of these when I was a Firefighter at Aberdeen Proving Ground. Oshkosh had a field office there for their people who were assigned to APG TECOM (test and evaluation command) and being into trucks naturally I got friendly with the guys there. Let me take one of these around the test course for a couple of laps- WOW. Can't see a damn thing from them, but who cares, if you hit someone or something you aren't going to feel it.........

Made me laugh over this one :clap: Thanks!

My last combat tour was with a HET company, we had alot of problems with them the computers could not take the heat and they would run with a crap load of faults and in limp mode as with most things nowadays they make them overly complicated and in combat enviroment if it was a mechanical engine it would have been so much better.

During previous combat tours I operated the m911 and other mechanical engine trucks and never had many problems, on the older military trucks m900series 5 tons or the m915/016 and my favorate was a m920 were voltage/battery issues once you got the truck slaved off you knew it would stay running and not leave you stranded on the side of the road.

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

The HET in the photos are early US DOD spec, 500 hp DDC 8V-92TTA, with a Allison 6 speed CLT-754

The current production (both US DOD & UK-HET) have the 750 hp Cat C-18. These are easy so spot with the longer & rounded hood.

Rick

I wouldn't be to quick to sell those Detroit powered trucks just yet.................. Not when your new trucks have Cat A-Cert's God help Us!!!

BULLHUSK

My last combat tour was with a HET company, we had alot of problems with them the computers could not take the heat and they would run with a crap load of faults and in limp mode as with most things nowadays they make them overly complicated and in combat enviroment if it was a mechanical engine it would have been so much better.

During previous combat tours I operated the m911 and other mechanical engine trucks and never had many problems, on the older military trucks m900series 5 tons or the m915/016 and my favorate was a m920 were voltage/battery issues once you got the truck slaved off you knew it would stay running and not leave you stranded on the side of the road.

i think thats funny, when i was in the corp. we had m35 and m800 ser, they were just starting to get m900's and humvee'swhen i got out, me still had the m151's

I wouldn't be to quick to sell those Detroit powered trucks just yet.................. Not when your new trucks have Cat A-Cert's God help Us!!!

BULLHUSK

Most of the units that are being sold off really are surplus, they have been re-manned at least once. This week there is a steady stream of HEMMT's, rolling thru the Oshkosh plant getting a full reman & the old reliable 8V-92T are re-manned as well & going right back in.

post-10334-0-96489700-1363617919_thumb.j

post-10334-0-37458500-1363617936_thumb.j

post-10334-0-10871300-1363617947_thumb.j

Rick

• Like 2

Richard Mark

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

The 1st HET as pictured in the beginning of this thread was powered by the ever dependable 8V-92T, when Penske took over DDC & the 4 stroke joke Series 60 was introduced as a replacement for the 2 strokes, the HET was re-designed to accommodate the much longer engine with out change or compromise to the existing cab design. So the rad was pushed out & this was the result.

post-10334-0-69296600-1363618379_thumb.j

post-10334-0-38320500-1363618997_thumb.j

Shortly after the introduction with the Series 60 power plant, OTC began the next re-design to meet the needs of the British Royal Army, and the result was the UK-HET, which has become the global standard production HET. This newest version features the C-18 Cat engine (and yes sadly too much computer crap) and is available in both the 8x8 & 6x6 versions. All are manufactured at the Oshkosh plant in Wisconsin, where both left hand & right hand drive units follow each other down the line. Here is a shot of 2 current production HET's outside the plant in 2012.

post-10334-0-09571000-1363619019_thumb.j

Rick

• Like 2

Richard Mark

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

The 1st HET as pictured in the beginning of this thread was powered by the ever dependable 8V-92T, when Penske took over DDC & the 4 stroke joke Series 60 was introduced as a replacement for the 2 strokes, the HET was re-designed to accommodate the much longer engine with out change or compromise to the existing cab design. So the rad was pushed out & this was the result.

attachicon.gifHET.jpg

attachicon.giftip30.jpg

Shortly after the introduction with the Series 60 power plant, OTC began the next re-design to meet the needs of the British Royal Army, and the result was the UK-HET, which has become the global standard production HET. This newest version features the C-18 Cat engine (and yes sadly too much computer crap) and is available in both the 8x8 & 6x6 versions. All are manufactured at the Oshkosh plant in Wisconsin, where both left hand & right hand drive units follow each other down the line. Here is a shot of 2 current production HET's outside the plant in 2012.

attachicon.gifHET new 2012.JPG

Rick

Great info Rick, I always liked the older Detroit power.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm impressed they didn't switch to CAT's sooner with all of the MTVR's being CAT powered. Maybe even Cummins to match in with all the AM Generals still in operation.

I wonder why the Detroit's are getting rebuilt ? ! Normally a reman'd unit is updated to modern specs.

Like the 1950s M35's got the 331 gasser's replaced by turbo charged multifuels and later on the baby CAT diesel for the a3 series . . . Must be cheaper ? ! Or won't the CAT's fit the old rigs ? !

Well either way 500hp Detroit or 750hp CAT its a 45mph beast of a truck ;o)

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

i think thats funny, when i was in the corp. we had m35 and m800 ser, they were just starting to get m900's and humvee'swhen i got out, me still had the m151's

Love the M151A2's!! Our motor pool was full of new HUMVEE's in Feb.,1986 when I got out.But,that old shit always ran!!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I ran HET's in Iraq, they are harder to see out of with the up armor package for sure and the under hood a/c dont to squat, it was 140+ degrees in those trucks all the a/c did was piss you off. The std cab configuration had decent a/c on the roof, and was a lot easir to see out of. It takes some time to get used to your trailer swinging around corners I wanted to swing out and had to stop myself and turn it like a straight truck and let the trailer do its thing. The CTIS on em works ok but its slow to recover those big Michelins after you drop the pressure, the speed ratings for the pressure settings are the same as the turn angles on the trailer axles thats how I remembered em. The one thing you have going for you in a HET is you are the biggest thing on the road not the fastest around 48-50mph and they are very survivable, the tanks got destroyed a lot al they had for armor was a kevlar blanket but the cab has two layers of armor plate all around. I drove a HEMMTT once and promised I would never do that again and my back thanks me every day, walking beam front suspension will actually beat you to death on rough roads. anyhow heres some pics from the sandbox.

post-5240-0-11890200-1366475438_thumb.jp

post-5240-0-46910200-1366475451_thumb.jp

post-5240-0-44154400-1366475487_thumb.jp

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I ran HET's in Iraq, they are harder to see out of with the up armor package for sure and the under hood a/c dont to squat, it was 140+ degrees in those trucks all the a/c did was piss you off. The std cab configuration had decent a/c on the roof, and was a lot easir to see out of. It takes some time to get used to your trailer swinging around corners I wanted to swing out and had to stop myself and turn it like a straight truck and let the trailer do its thing. The CTIS on em works ok but its slow to recover those big Michelins after you drop the pressure, the speed ratings for the pressure settings are the same as the turn angles on the trailer axles thats how I remembered em. The one thing you have going for you in a HET is you are the biggest thing on the road not the fastest around 48-50mph and they are very survivable, the tanks got destroyed a lot al they had for armor was a kevlar blanket but the cab has two layers of armor plate all around. I drove a HEMMTT once and promised I would never do that again and my back thanks me every day, walking beam front suspension will actually beat you to death on rough roads. anyhow heres some pics from the sandbox.

That's some sandbox.

The rear ends in these are smaller then my Macks, couldn't believe it. I like how the rears are individual though, they crawl over anything. You can put the rear axle on the rear deck of a lowboy and the next two axles are still sitting on the lower deck.

I got to a base to pick up a new hum V with a generator on board and a trailer loaded on behind. Dropped the gooseneck and said drive her on. The officer said don't we need blocks to get up on the ramp? I laughed and said drive it on, when he got it on the main deck, I said, put the front wheel on the rear deck, he freaked, he did it and was amazed. When I delivered it, a civilian contractor was unloading it, he said back up to the dock and I'll drive it up over the rear deck, trailer and all. Didn't want to bang up the trailer, I dropped the trailer and he backed it off.

Ran the M123 when I was in the USMC. We hauled tanks, amtracs, tracked artillery and construction equipment. Not very fast, but would pull anything you hooked to them. Trucks had Cummins V8 engines, 5 speeds with 2 speed transfer cases and were 6x6. Mine had dual 45,000 winches on the back as well. The 14:00 x 24 tires on budd split rims were a load to change and fix! I think the tractor itself weighed nearly 40,000. Put nearly 10,000 miles on one in Okinawa. .