When Scania trucks roamed North America

kscarbel

92 was the last of the scanias into USA Paul.

there a still quite a few scania tandem dump trucks running the road here in central New Jersey, including 3 V-8's that i know of pulling low boy trailers. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I have only seen a few Scania trucks 20+ years ago in Maine.. I thought they were Midliners on steroids..  Seems to me that Volvo and Renault, had their hands in Mack trucks for a long time.  Is that true?  I know nothing about Scania's... jojo

On 9/15/2022 at 10:09 PM, Joey Mack said:

I have only seen a few Scania trucks 20+ years ago in Maine.. I thought they were Midliners on steroids..  Seems to me that Volvo and Renault, had their hands in Mack trucks for a long time.  Is that true?  I know nothing about Scania's... jojo

Scania and Mack go way back. Mack's first direct injection diesel was coached along by Scania. Also it's no coincidence Scania V8s and the mighty E9 share the same displacement.  Some B models even could be bought with a little Scania diesel engine ( and I think early Rs ) last I knew the Scania V8S was at 732 HP.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

But the Scania V8 was a lot better motor than any Mack V8

Paul

Scania and the E9 were pretty close when they came out . European designs seem to like a single head per cylinder . I guess maybe it has it's advantages ??  You guys put them through way harder service than the majority of V8s saw her (some worked hard)  Last I read the Scania was using unit pumps and all that good stuff. 732 HP is pretty hard to ignore .

• Like 1

They were prone to dropping valves amongst other problems, but that was the main issue as far as I'm aware

That been said they were a very good motor but not a million mile motor, yes some did but they were the exception 

The E6 and E7 are million mile motors with out a doubt and probably some of the best motors of their time 

Paul  

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 7:52 PM, LeonardoFVR said:

82821934_3427797533960264_1940382605614514176_n.jpg

Anybody know what that thing on the roof that looks like a tiny Michelin Man is ?   I see them on trucks from time to time. Some even light up.  I'm guessing there's some story that goes along with them.

Edited by Mark T
spelling