Mack: Is the Bulldog Becoming a Mutt?

I agree for the for the most part. The new Macks, despite thier Volvo tendencies, still have a better fit and finish to them as far air lines and wire harnesses than any other class 8 truck. Of coarse, that is my opinion, and we all know what they say abut those. -Brad

Bein' a mutt ain't so bad when most of the competition is mutts... Navistar is a disaster, Daimler don't get it, and Paccar would still be another assembled truck if DAF hadn't gifted them an engine.

I agree with most of your thoughts as well. However I wouldn't word it as such that DAF gifted Paccar an engine. Rather, Paccar brilliantly seized the moment to buy DAF for a very attractive price, and another reason being the package would give Paccar the chance to have their own engine range. What with the Swedes using Volvo engines in Macks, the Germans using Mercedes-Benz engines in Freightliner and Western Star product, and Navistar going with their own license-produced MAN D20 and D26 engines, Paccar realized the trend and made a smart move to enhance itself long-term engine-wise while at the same time making itself the first U.S. truckmaker since Mack Trucks in the 1970s to become a genuine global player..

I toured the Pete factory in Denton this past fall and the Paccar engine is not selling well. About 9 out of 10 coming down the line had a Cummins in it. Also, they paint everything on the frame, air line, electrical, components including the airbags. I thought the attention to detail and finish product was below average. Pete and KW is just like Volvo and Mack. the new cab is for both trucks and most all frame components now say Paccar on them as they are shared by both trucks. They still make the Pete fuel tanks right on site though!!

Here is a picture of my big Pete 390 with the Peterbilt model..........

I toured Denton last fall and was terribly impressed. Their cab painting system is state-of-the-art. I was pleased to see a U.S. truck plant that is so efficient. I noted a 50/50 mix of MX13s and Cummins power. The DAF-sourced MX13 will gain acceptance over time.

I don't care at all for the frontal appearance of the new Peterbilt 579 and the Kenworth T680. I don't mind the new cab, which was due. But personally, I feel the front ends with the droopy nose syndrome looks terrible.

I toured the Pete factory in Denton this past fall and the Paccar engine is not selling well. About 9 out of 10 coming down the line had a Cummins in it. Also, they paint everything on the frame, air line, electrical, components including the airbags. I thought the attention to detail and finish product was below average. Pete and KW is just like Volvo and Mack. the new cab is for both trucks and most all frame components now say Paccar on them as they are shared by both trucks. They still make the Pete fuel tanks right on site though!!

Here is a picture of my big Pete 390 with the Peterbilt model..........

Only gonna say this ONCE,even if it is a peterbilt,thats a damn "truckly" looking truck right there!.......................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.