First Super-Liner I ever seen 9/78

Sorry,Vin.U models came in by the dozen,and got shoved into fleet service right away!They usually weren't ordered for dealer stock around the Green Bay area,anyway.You can see a bunch of DM's in the lot also.These were either destined to be tri or quad axle dumps,logging trucks,or milk trucks.Most day cab tractors on the lot at the time were R's.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

i remember the good old days, well Renault owned Mack at the time, going to the Mack dealer as a kid with my grandfather. thats when the Hilands owned Utica Mack and they werent a bunch of assholes. R models on the lot, mixed with those other things pushed off as Macks. they talked to you, even gave you the pin off their shirt. now if you dont have a Vin number and arent buyin a part for a brand new truck, they dont wanna deal with you unless they can sell you a pair of Mack mudflaps that dont even face each other, ugh!. god forbid they have to look something up. some of the old parts guys didnt even need a computer, could show them a part, go in back room and pick it off the shelf. back in the 80's when R, DM's and RM's were on the lot here in New York State.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

i remember the good old days, well Renault owned Mack at the time, going to the Mack dealer as a kid with my grandfather. thats when the Hilands owned Utica Mack and they werent a bunch of assholes. R models on the lot, mixed with those other things pushed off as Macks. they talked to you, even gave you the pin off their shirt. now if you dont have a Vin number and arent buyin a part for a brand new truck, they dont wanna deal with you unless they can sell you a pair of Mack mudflaps that dont even face each other, ugh!. god forbid they have to look something up. some of the old parts guys didnt even need a computer, could show them a part, go in back room and pick it off the shelf. back in the 80's when R, DM's and RM's were on the lot here in New York State.
Oh yeah,Matt! Mack dealers such as the one where I took this picture,treated my cousin and I like gold! We would go in there,and start taking brochures out of the racks,when a salesman or even owner of the place would walk up to us and smile and ask how we were doing?Then proceed to give us a tour of the place,introduce us to all the employees there, and ask us questions to see if we were truly MACK people! It was a great time for a couple of 13 year olds!We would leave the dealership with enough reading material,novelties,and memories to last a lifetime.We both ended up owning & operating MACK trucks.Good investment for them,don't you think?
  • Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

The first time I went into Beam Mack in Watertown, I pulled in in the passenger seat of Doug Fetterly's B613. We both got out, I was prolly 6 or 7, I had my Mom or Nana's camera with me, and Doug and I strolled in there and LOADED my arms full of brouchers and everything on the racks! He even got the hard cover book, Mack Driven For a Century from a guy in his office! I ended up dropping the camera on the hard floor, but picked it up. I said doug can I go put all this stuff out in the truck, and he said yea. So here I am walking through the parking lot a buncha Mack's around me with my arms full of stuff. There was a couple guys standing around Doug's B checking it out.

Now, every time Papa and I go to the dealer for parts, they don't listen to you, they want the goddang serial number, so Papa looks at me and I tell em, U685ST11692. They can never find parts because they don't have Canada records and my truck was built in Oakville. I told the freaking guy, hey, it was built in Canada so nothing will come up. But no he won't listen to a 12 year old. All you hear are you sure thats the number? Or I can't find anything. Then We were looking for something for the cab, he was in the computer, after about 5 minutes, he flat out tells Papa I'm not going to go through a hundred freaking million U model cabs! I was think are you f-ing kidding me? I wanted to say, there was only 29,464 made man!!!!

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

The first time I went into Beam Mack in Watertown, I pulled in in the passenger seat of Doug Fetterly's B613. We both got out, I was prolly 6 or 7, I had my Mom or Nana's camera with me, and Doug and I strolled in there and LOADED my arms full of brouchers and everything on the racks! He even got the hard cover book, Mack Driven For a Century from a guy in his office! I ended up dropping the camera on the hard floor, but picked it up. I said doug can I go put all this stuff out in the truck, and he said yea. So here I am walking through the parking lot a buncha Mack's around me with my arms full of stuff. There was a couple guys standing around Doug's B checking it out.

Now, every time Papa and I go to the dealer for parts, they don't listen to you, they want the goddang serial number, so Papa looks at me and I tell em, U685ST11692. They can never find parts because they don't have Canada records and my truck was built in Oakville. I told the freaking guy, hey, it was built in Canada so nothing will come up. But no he won't listen to a 12 year old. All you hear are you sure thats the number? Or I can't find anything. Then We were looking for something for the cab, he was in the computer, after about 5 minutes, he flat out tells Papa I'm not going to go through a hundred freaking million U model cabs! I was think are you f-ing kidding me? I wanted to say, there was only 29,464 made man!!!!

I hear you,Vinny.It sounds like they started you off on the right foot,then dropped you like a bad habit.Bad business.All that old school way of doing business,is just about gone.Too bad for all involved!

This picture is of the first Super-Liner I saw up close after reading about it some 10 months earlier in OVERDRIVE magazine.It has the very same paint scheme as the truck on the cover of John Montville's book-MACK (the 2nd edition).The picture was taken at Green Bay Mack Sales (formally LaCombe Mack Sales),Green Bay,Wisc. in Sept of '78.Thought I'd put this one in for Superdog & all fans of the Super-Liner!attachicon.gifscan0009.jpg

This was the Brockway Huskeyliner that never came to be, this was gonna be the Huskey to hold the newer big motors like the Cummins KT and the new 3406 Cat as well as the V12 detroit. Thats why when you see a Mack inline6 in there, there's about 2' of space between #6 and the fire wall!

BULLHUSK

PS Brockway is still my # 1 Truck, always will be

I hear you Al ! Horner Mack Vineland,NJ was my families dealership "back in the day" when countermen knew (and had parts in stock) when my dad or grandads trucks needed service or repair,they always went over and above to get it right,and we NEVER bought a new truck from them at the time. All the salemen would save the "special" Mack stuff for me,brochures,spec. sheets,hats etc. i even still have the Mack Flag that flew under the American flag up front! those days are pretty much gone,i remember what a pain in the ass i musta been bugging the salesguys with questions,wanting to look at the new trucks etc. but they always made and effort to accomidate me as a kid,and i never forgot it. I bought my first brand new truck from Horner in 1988,sales guy even took the time to sit down with me and "spec.it out" just like i wanted it. (try that now) but as is the story with many longtime Mack dealers,they sold out to the Bergey group (assholes) and i ceased doing business with them,when i needed an "appointment" for a PM, had to order EVERYTHING,always took 2-3 days (Baltimore dist.center 60 miles away) just got tired of the BS! but have good memories of the "glory days" LOL!.................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I hear you Al ! Horner Mack Vineland,NJ was my families dealership "back in the day" when countermen knew (and had parts in stock) when my dad or grandads trucks needed service or repair,they always went over and above to get it right,and we NEVER bought a new truck from them at the time. All the salemen would save the "special" Mack stuff for me,brochures,spec. sheets,hats etc. i even still have the Mack Flag that flew under the American flag up front! those days are pretty much gone,i remember what a pain in the ass i musta been bugging the salesguys with questions,wanting to look at the new trucks etc. but they always made and effort to accomidate me as a kid,and i never forgot it. I bought my first brand new truck from Horner in 1988,sales guy even took the time to sit down with me and "spec.it out" just like i wanted it. (try that now) but as is the story with many longtime Mack dealers,they sold out to the Bergey group (assholes) and i ceased doing business with them,when i needed an "appointment" for a PM, had to order EVERYTHING,always took 2-3 days (Baltimore dist.center 60 miles away) just got tired of the BS! but have good memories of the "glory days" LOL!.................................Mark

Mark, Mack Truck in Newark NJ was like that years ago when I was a kid, hell my dad would go into ther shop and get bearnings pressd on at night! (they had a 4pm to 12 Midnight shift). If you said you wanted a new truck they would follow you around till they got you in a chair!! A lot of trucks came out of Nwk. Peter Rosellie & Son's the garbage guy would buy 50 at a time, LJ Kennedy, Charter Bulk, Houdale concrete (had the B83? Cummins engine) Colonial S&S. I think the bldg. is still there it has the bulldogs in the corners of the bldg.

BULLHUSK

Mark,Our local MACK dealer was sold to the The CTI Group.I haven't talked to anyone yet that had any problems as of yet.Maybe Storkmack can shed some light on them.The former owners son is the general manager for now,I guess.He is a definite MACK GUY all the way.He was working at the Grayslake,Ill. store since he could walk,I think.He would pull big fleet trucks out if I had a problem.Fix my truck,and kept reminding me that they were here for me!Try getting that out of one of these conglomerants!I hate to see the day they push him out.! Al

That's how a lot of the truck parts places are now even mack all they want is the serial number unless you get someone whos been there a while they know what your talking about otherwise you need the vin number even if there is only one style of the part they think you dont know what your talking about and need to look it up.

Matt

This was the Brockway Huskeyliner that never came to be, this was gonna be the Huskey to hold the newer big motors like the Cummins KT and the new 3406 Cat as well as the V12 detroit. Thats why when you see a Mack inline6 in there, there's about 2' of space between #6 and the fire wall!

BULLHUSK

PS Brockway is still my # 1 Truck, always will be

I hear you,BULLHUSK! Somewhere I have a letter from CUMMINS (Cross Logo letterhead) announcing the introduction of the KT-450('75).They listed all the manufacturers that were going to start offering the motor in their trucks.I remember MACK being one (Cruise-Liner) and I believe BROCKWAY was in there too(don't quote me on that)? I haven't seen that letter since Reagan was in office! Its around here somewhere!!

Mark,Our local MACK dealer was sold to the The CTI Group.I haven't talked to anyone yet that had any problems as of yet.Maybe Storkmack can shed some light on them.The former owners son is the general manager for now,I guess.He is a definite MACK GUY all the way.He was working at the Grayslake,Ill. store since he could walk,I think.He would pull big fleet trucks out if I had a problem.Fix my truck,and kept reminding me that they were here for me!Try getting that out of one of these conglomerants!I hate to see the day they push him out.! Al[/quote

So far it is one of those deals where they say that it will be a seamless transition and nothing will change, but then everything kinda changed. -Brad

• Like 1

As Bullhusk has said the Superliner was designed by Brockway for introduction in '78, BUT Mack never let Brockway get that far and kept the design to make into the Superliner.

Somewhere on the Brockway site discussion board and/or Huskidrive.com is a topic with several pictures taken in the Brockway shop during its development.

Brocky

Brocky

I remember Horner STOCKED new cabs on pallets,frame rails,fuel tanks,engines,trans.rears etc.and just about anything else that you might need. I was fortunate enough to be invited to the "attic" sale when Charlie Horner retired in the early nineties,an absoulute goldmine of "vintage" Mack parts,i only wish i had a bigger truck(and more money) at the time! New B-model doors,hoods,all the emblems,trim,grille shells etc. I did manage to save quite a few items,most of which i still have,my prizes being a set of stainless "rookie-poles" with the small gold dogs on top,a new in the box B-model grill emblem,a new in the box B-model steering wheel,numerous emblems badges etc. the only thing i wanted that i did'nt get was a new set of RL-700L emblems (wish i had them now) you could have literally built an F-model out of what was left,(National Freight Inc.) was one of their biggest customers Bernie Brown bought all his trucks from Horner,till they went with "Brand-X"................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Utica Mack kinda went to shit a little . kinda the same when the old Man is there but nothin like it use to be. i remember the lot being full of new r models when i was a kid. now you go by and on the New York thruway side, facing Rt90 is a F in Volvo under the Mack sign.theto use to have tons of stuff on hand. had a few trailer loads of new B models parts fenders, doors, bumpers into the late 80's. asked about them one time, guy said they scrapped alot of the NOS parts and sent a bunch back to Mack. makes you cry.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

This picture is of the first Super-Liner I saw up close after reading about it some 10 months earlier in OVERDRIVE magazine.It has the very same paint scheme as the truck on the cover of John Montville's book-MACK (the 2nd edition).The picture was taken at Green Bay Mack Sales (formally LaCombe Mack Sales),Green Bay,Wisc. in Sept of '78.Thought I'd put this one in for Superdog & all fans of the Super-Liner!attachicon.gif scan0009.jpg

thier was an outfit around boston,,,had a bunch of them,,around then...souza,s fuel transport,,they hauled BP gasoline to thier gas stations,,,they were lime green,,might be able to find old photos...under david faust collections...bob

Utica Mack kinda went to shit a little . kinda the same when the old Man is there but nothin like it use to be. i remember the lot being full of new r models when i was a kid. now you go by and on the New York thruway side, facing Rt90 is a F in Volvo under the Mack sign.theto use to have tons of stuff on hand. had a few trailer loads of new B models parts fenders, doors, bumpers into the late 80's. asked about them one time, guy said they scrapped alot of the NOS parts and sent a bunch back to Mack. makes you cry.

ya,,,thats never fun news,,,specially when you neen the parts they just recently tossed.bob