Interchangeable R model Hoods?

I know the superliner hood is not a direct fit to the R model cab and requires a ton of work to make it fit.

However, if i have a 95 RD mack with the square headlights and turn signals, can i get a Western style R model hood with the bubble headlights and turn signals to fit? How much work is involved? i like the look of the western style but im determined to have the nicest looking RD style around my area. I know they make a nice style grill for the RD to make it stand out. But could someone answer my original question and let me know if its a waste of time or possibly post a nice picture of an RD for me? im about to put pictures of mine up.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Yeah i want that challenge. I like to make mine clean looking with a few touches. Brad i saw yours and I'm not at that caliber yet but i welcome any opinions for help. Heck i still need to swap out the daytons for some aluminums

Yeah i want that challenge. I like to make mine clean looking with a few touches. Brad i saw yours and I'm not at that caliber yet but i welcome any opinions for help. Heck i still need to swap out the daytons for some aluminums

Your Dayton hubs can look just as cool as far as I am concerned. White rims, black hubs, silver wedges, chrome nut covers and hub caps. Just touch up the paint once in a while. -Brad

• Like 1

Looks like you're running 22.5's, am I right? I may be in the market for a set of 24.5 spokes in the near future. If I do, I'll have a set of budd hubs to trade.

Jake

Your Dayton hubs can look just as cool as far as I am concerned. White rims, black hubs, silver wedges, chrome nut covers and hub caps. Just touch up the paint once in a while. -Brad

An r or dm just doesn't look right without daytons. I catch alot of criticism for that preference for some reason down here.
  • Like 1

Jake

The amount of work required to make a different hood fit that 95 isnt worth it, you could find an older R and just swap in your drivetrain and be in better shape, I think the 95 looks fine and with a few touches it can look great.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I think the Value Liner hood is the same as a western R Model Hood. My friend had 4 Value Liners that he bought new. If the lenght of the hoods are the same they should all fit. If you want to put a Super Liner hood on a R Model....FOR GET ABOUT IT !! MIKEY MACK owner of MACK Trucks for 40 years. And before me my grandfather had MACKS forever.

I think the Value Liner hood is the same as a western R Model Hood. My friend had 4 Value Liners that he bought new. If the lenght of the hoods are the same they should all fit. If you want to put a Super Liner hood on a R Model....FOR GET ABOUT IT !! MIKEY MACK owner of MACK Trucks for 40 years. And before me my grandfather had MACKS forever.

The length may be the same but the height is different. Thus the raised cab.

You guys are great Well, the reason i want aluminum is because i am in the dump business and if i got aluminum its 40 pounds difference on each wheel so just doing the truck is 8 x40 = 320 15 percent of a ton. i guess it would add up. and if i did the trailer another 320 pounds but i hear its a ton of work to change out the hubs and do you think its all worth it? I currently do paint my wheels. I use the aluminum bright paint on the wheel and the hub i paint black and i use a cardboard cutout to cover up painting the tires silver, yeah ive done that on accident before lol i never thought of painting the wedges though. why not just paint the whole entire thing silver? or would that look bad? i currently have the chrome nut covers on order and the hub caps. They were impossible to find so my mechanic ordered them for me. Isn't it 7.5 inches for the hub and i forgot the size of the nut covers.

Your cowl on the rd will be similar to a super liner,

a r model is a completely different cowl because of hood lines.

Western and value line hoods should interchange,

Western,value liner hoods might share the same cowl lines as a east coast r model. Just that the western,valuliner cabs sit up higher.

Hood latch of the cowl area vary as well from each model, year, air ride cab etc...

You guys are great Well, the reason i want aluminum is because i am in the dump business and if i got aluminum its 40 pounds difference on each wheel so just doing the truck is 8 x40 = 320 15 percent of a ton. i guess it would add up. and if i did the trailer another 320 pounds but i hear its a ton of work to change out the hubs and do you think its all worth it? I currently do paint my wheels. I use the aluminum bright paint on the wheel and the hub i paint black and i use a cardboard cutout to cover up painting the tires silver, yeah ive done that on accident before lol i never thought of painting the wedges though. why not just paint the whole entire thing silver? or would that look bad? i currently have the chrome nut covers on order and the hub caps. They were impossible to find so my mechanic ordered them for me. Isn't it 7.5 inches for the hub and i forgot the size of the nut covers.

Dont paint the spokes a different color than the frame they are supposed to match, the wheels I always painted gray or white, gray is easier to keep clean silver isnt bad but not kentucky chrome silver more like medium silver mettalic car paint would be ok. as far as RB, you need length for bridge law to get your payload on the interstate, you have to have 51 feet from the center of your steer to the center of the rear axle to make 80,000 on 5 axles it takes 41 feet to make 73,500 so using a setback axle tractor kills your profit. I know there are some guys here that have 26' aluminum dumps and daycab T800's, they were trying to get more payload and decided to add two tag axles to their trailers to get to 80,000 but everybody told them the weight of the axles would cancel it out just haul 73 and be done with it. I am sure you see where this is going, they added two steer tags to each trailer and aluminum wheels and tires and guess what, they could gross 80,000 but they added 5,000 lbs to their trucks so now they haul half a ton more and run at 80,000 instead of running at 73 and getting better fuel mileage and being easier on the trucks, oh well live and learn. heres a bridge law chart use it wisely......

post-5240-0-99501400-1356369278_thumb.jp

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Its a little differnt here in illinois. You can leagally haul 72000 on a short tractor/trailer combination. You could add axles to your tractor or trailer and it will not make a damn bit of difference. You also need a SHV sticker from the state to do it, otherwise they take you down to the federal bridge formula which would only give you 66K or 68K (dont have the Illinois chart here). This would be why you need your truck to as light as it can be with out it working against you. 500# every load on a tonnage run really adds up. -Brad

The bridge law formula above is federal its for any federal highway,in tn on secondary roads we can run 74000 on a Tri axle dump and 80000 on a quad or dump trailer regardless of length. The r model above was legal for 56500 on federal highways but 74000 everywhere else. I know 500 adds up I've been around dump trucks for 18 years, sometimes the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost, if you found a truck with all the parts needed to swap for cheap its not that bad but when you get into, hubs,bearings,races,brake shoes,drums,wheels,etc, it gets expensive.

Very good advice guys. I guess its just cheaper to buy a truck that already has it done then. I know that saving another 300 pounds would make you about 1500-2000 extra per year but you don't think its really worth it given all the headaches involved to get to that point? I see what you mean about painting the wheels to look meaner. What do you think about just putting the whole setup that aluminum color ( kinda a greyish silver) but point it all) the wedges the 5 star hub, the inside of the wheel and then get chrome nut covers and a hub cover? Would this look good? Does anyone have a picture of that?

Personally, I like the contrast between a black hub and a white or grey wheel. I've never went as far as to paint the wedges but that would look good too. I always just kinda figure a junk dealer did a spray-on sherwin williams overhaul when I see the hub and wheel all the same color. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 1

Jake

Personally, I like the contrast between a black hub and a white or grey wheel. I've never went as far as to paint the wedges but that would look good too. I always just kinda figure a junk dealer did a spray-on sherwin williams overhaul when I see the hub and wheel all the same color. Just my 2 cents worth.
my thoughts exactly, if its all one color it looks cheap and hurried like you didn't care enough to take the time to do it right.

I get upset when I see lug nuts, hubs, and wheels (and other parts) repainted on trucks for sale. I get the same answer "everyone does it and it is the norm when reconditioning/reselling trucks". BS...you are just too lazy to remove the lug nuts and wheel. Then paint the hubs and wheels separately. When I had the rims and hubs repainted on my truck, my friend pulled the rims off and painted everything separately. Before I bought my MH I seriously considered a Ryder CH612, I told them I wanted a truck that was not repainted, etc...no dice! "We can't sell it unless the paint is touched up."

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I know the superliner hood is not a direct fit to the R model cab and requires a ton of work to make it fit.

However, if i have a 95 RD mack with the square headlights and turn signals, can i get a Western style R model hood with the bubble headlights and turn signals to fit? How much work is involved? i like the look of the western style but im determined to have the nicest looking RD style around my area. I know they make a nice style grill for the RD to make it stand out. But could someone answer my original question and let me know if its a waste of time or possibly post a nice picture of an RD for me? im about to put pictures of mine up.

Here are some pics of an older R converted to a sort of a mini Super-Liner.I like to call it a R C RWS (in B C R fashion):post-510-0-53783600-1356797040.jpgpost-510-0-04769600-1356797079.jpgpost-510-0-37302300-1356797113.jpg Different strokes,for different folks!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA