Truck crash on Long Island..

MACKS

Looks like another black eye for the trucking industry,according to the preliminary reports this truck crashed into cars that were stopped or slowed down for construction work on the LIE,over 36 cars involved one dead and many hurt some badly.

post-598-0-73717600-1355962184_thumb.jpg

Truck driver got out of the burning cab with minor injuries from running through the flames. The drive in the car to the left of the truck in the flames, is apparently dead.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

If they ban trucks does that mean I can retire?

Nope! we'll all go to work for the railroad,no safety,drugs,hours of service,or accidents there! PLUS according to the latest TV commercial i've seen, a freight train can move 700,000 pounds of freight 500 miles on a GALLON of fuel! pretty sweet!..............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I can't tell from the pic...but I'd almost be willing to bet one or more of 3 conditions exist:

1) Driver was on e-logs.

2) Truck is governed at or below 65 mph.

3) Company pays a low per-mile rate.

The more of the 3 that exist, seems like the greater the likelihood of a driver racing through a work zone or blasting through town. E-logs means the driver can't "hide" the time he spends stuck in traffic...which he feels he needs to do because he's got to get 4000 miles per week if he wants a decent paycheck because the pay rate sucks....but that is tough to do when the truck won't go faster than 63 mph, so he just floors the throttle and holds it there for 11 hours at a time no matter what the speed limit, traffic, or weather conditions happen to be.

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I don't drive long haul or eighteen wheelers for that mater but I think he just wasn't paying attention when the traffic stooped in front of him,they said he hit 38 cars before the truck came to a stop,also it looked liked he was hauling mulch from one of the pictures I saw,that would mean he was a local trucker,see what they say tomorrow!

Just because he might be local doesn't mean he's not on e-logs or governed....or even that he's well paid for that matter. Maybe it was a case of just not paying attention...but how far up your ass does your head need to be before you fail to realize that you are traveling considerably faster than the traffic around you which has seemingly slowed down for whatever reason?

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Truck driver got out of the burning cab with minor injuries from running through the flames. The drive in the car to the left of the truck in the flames, is apparently dead.

I see this happened pretty close to you. I'm going with the distracted while driving theory.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/19/long-island-expressway-sh_n_2333008.html

Jim

I don't drive long haul or eighteen wheelers for that mater but I think he just wasn't paying attention when the traffic stooped in front of him,they said he hit 38 cars before the truck came to a stop,also it looked liked he was hauling mulch from one of the pictures I saw,that would mean he was a local trucker,see what they say tomorrow!

New England area, Vermont I think.

Yeah GG it was about 2 miles or so North of me. That exit is a bad area even in the best times. 2 lanes wide and goes to a college to the south and Brookhaven Nat.Lab to the north. People cut in the last minute, literally stop in the slow lane to cut in to the exit to force their way in. We NEVER use it at all.

What is interesting is the 68 /69 year old woman killed was coming home from a mall which it east of where the accident was. If that is correct she was going against traffic. The wreck photo shows the burned car in front of the truck with only front end damage. Possibly everyone stopped for her going the wrong way and the truck couldn't?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Just found out this truck was working for FEMA hauling some kind of clean up debris,looked like mulch or maybe shredded wood to me,these guys are working 7 days a week not sure how many hours a day,also was told they are exempt from dot regs while in NYS doing storm work,not sure if thats true or not!!

Just found out this truck was working for FEMA hauling some kind of clean up debris,looked like mulch or maybe shredded wood to me,these guys are working 7 days a week not sure how many hours a day,also was told they are exempt from dot regs while in NYS doing storm work,not sure if thats true or not!!

Thats pretty much normal for the first few months. Prolly 7 days and 14 hrs, or more. No weight restrictions, no cover needed.

They usually go back to DOT regs. after 4 months. Oh yeah, temp registration to work in NY too

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

New England area, Vermont I think.

Yeah GG it was about 2 miles or so North of me. That exit is a bad area even in the best times. 2 lanes wide and goes to a college to the south and Brookhaven Nat.Lab to the north. People cut in the last minute, literally stop in the slow lane to cut in to the exit to force their way in. We NEVER use it at all.

What is interesting is the 68 /69 year old woman killed was coming home from a mall which it east of where the accident was. If that is correct she was going against traffic. The wreck photo shows the burned car in front of the truck with only front end damage. Possibly everyone stopped for her going the wrong way and the truck couldn't?

When I lived out there I thought the Exit 68 interchange was a bit elaborate for the amount of traffic that used it. Most of the crazys had exited at 64 or earlier.

There are exemptions under certain conditions so it's possible. Propane haulers are exempt (also under certain conditions) in the winter. It's not safe for me to drag an empty van home if I've already driven 11 hours, yet a propane hauler is not seen as a potential safety hazard when exceeding his/her HOS.

Jim

Nope! we'll all go to work for the railroad,no safety,drugs,hours of service,or accidents there! PLUS according to the latest TV commercial i've seen, a freight train can move 700,000 pounds of freight 500 miles on a GALLON of fuel! pretty sweet!..............Mark

Get your facts straight I work for CSX and I have to deal with hours of service, random drug screens, dot physicals, hearing tests, safety audits on my work truck, log book audits , pre trip book audits, not to mention our own pre trip to go along with the federal pre trip book, job briefing forms for each job ( including driving) PPE including safety vest or shirt, hard hat, gloves and safety glasses we even have to wear safety glasses in a company vehicle if the windows are open(some moron went to the hospital for a bug in the eye) and much much more, I think in a givien day I spend 3 hours on paperwork and 5 hours working.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

GG now its 49 rte 110, 52/53 combined exit for Sunken Meadow Pkwy and Commack Road exits 55 to 57 , 61 Nicholes Rd, and 68 East. 68 is now where it all thins out until the nice months when its over run with the Hamptons crowds from exit 66 til the end at 71. In Nassau it seems to be every exit til the Tunnel

I roll in the right lane flat out at 62 MPH and get cut off by people getting ahead to the exit, passed on the right for no reason other than convenience even tail gated by some skate who is on their phone and has no idea I'm there...

P.T.CHESHIRE

I learned how to drive in that madness and thought it was normal. Now 32 years later I cruise the right lane of the L.I.E. with white knuckles.

Not much has changed except more cars, more lanes, more speed and no curtsey... course you get used to it. When we go to our place in Virginia it takes almost to Richmond to get back to being polite to others.

Typical LIE Driver

post-3242-0-28714500-1356115266.jpg

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

yup, waste of money i think. local cheapskate truck owner Tom Logan (Ron Allen Trucking) was braggin he has 7 trucks runnin from New York and Nj, runnin shedded stuff to rochester Ny. only haulin about 4-10 tons on the trailers and makin 15 grand a week per truck. of course im sure he is payin his driver 10 bucks an hour and was braggin they can work 7 days a week and 17 hrs a day but he cuts his drivers off at 14 hrs. says they dont have to pay the tolls on the truway and arent subject to DOT inspections because they are working for FEMA during a ''Tragedy'' go figure. so its ok for gov'ment to say a truck can do that workin for THEM but Joe Blow on his own with a semi bad tire gets a red flag?

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

The LIE isn't as bad as the BQE. That shithole has potholes with their own zipcodes. I've gone 4 wheeling on smoother dirt roads. Everyone wants to go around a trailer because they don't want to be stuck behind one. They will do anything to cut your ass off and then give you the finger. My customers ask why it's so expensive to go to Long Island. They say "it's only 90 miles or 120 miles from the shop". Except those 100 or so miles take an entire day to get out there and $100 in tolls. If they don't like the surcharge call a towing company and see what they charge then get back to me.