Heading to Houghton, MI Thursday Morning!

tkobes43

Nice pics and thanks for posting. Lots of diverse scenery along the way. Glad you made it home safely. I recognize many of the scenes along the OH turnpike and I-80 in PA.

Be glad you did not go thru Canada.

Oh, how come no female hitchhikers? OD always sees at least one!

P.S. Let me know if you venture into central IL, I need a garden cart hauled to central PA.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Thanks for the pictures, sounds like that was a good experience for you. I figured out a long time ago when the road is that slick it's not worth taking a chance on tearing something up, or possibly getting hurt- there's too many crazies out there who refuse to believe the road gets slick, until they're in the ditch.

I've loaded coils right over behind that Chevy plant a couple of times.

One more thing you should have- a Rand McNally motor carriers road atlas. It shows truck routes and weigh stations, has a list of low underpasses for each state, requirements and regulations, etc. They won't steer you wrong.

I think I mentioned the guy a while back- I was headed west on 460,coming from Petersburg. A guy in front of me asked me on the radio if I knew where this sawmill was where he was going to load lumber.I told him "yeah, first Blackstone exit,left off the ramp,it's on the left". About the time I finished telling him he said "oh,my gps says to turn here''. So he did. It was a little road to nowhere,barely wide enough for a car. We were still 15 miles from Blackstone,where the mill was.That was a few weeks ago, he might still be up in there trying to get turned around!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

He didn't see any hitchhikers, but he did see this homeless girl near Youngstown. She was on her way to the scrapyard to steal scrapmetal, pushing a stolen Wal-Mart cart. I know it came from Wal-Mart, it had a bad pull to the right.

post-1374-0-24170400-1354457573_thumb.jp

Must be something about Youngstown...I was "contacted" by a "lady" needing gas money in the Quaker Steak and Lube parking lot! BTW, they were REAL! naughty.gif

I know, TMI!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Nice story, I just feeled by my back how you drove the ice road.

Shure it's better to find out a pissing guy then a leak from anywhere the truck.

Thank you, and for the pictures.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I was "contacted" by a "lady" needing gas money in the Quaker Steak and Lube parking lot!

I got something similar at the Comfort Inn in Dillon SC. I was on my way back from the Barrett Jackson Auction in West Palm Beach FL with our shop truck and a borrowed enclosed trailer. 6:30 am someone is knocking on the door. I just got out of the shower so I wasn't going to open the door. I looked through the peeper and there was some 20 something chick standing there. I asked here what she wanted. She said she needed gas. I told her this is a hotel not a gas station and to leave before I call the police. I called the front desk and I was one of many calls about this. The hotel already called the cops on her. When I got out of the room and headed to breakfast (free!) I didn't see her any more. A couple people were talking about it but no one knew if the police found her or she took off.

I left the hotel and hit the fuel station next door to fill up. The guy in the truck at the pump on the other side asked if I had someone knocking on my door at 6am? He recognized the truck and trailer from the hotel. Yes, I did. He got the same thing but she wouldn't take no for an answer. This is what she asked him:

Do you have gas? - NO

Can I borrow money for gas? - NO

Can I use your phone? NO

Then he gave her a warning, leave or you might be a victim of lead poisoning.

He wasn't going to open to door so her accomplice can smack him over the head and rob him. Scary shit, you have to watch your ass on the road!

The truck and trailer at SotB

post-11944-0-66360900-1354465227_thumb.j

The car I had to bring to the auction - 1969 Camaro Z/28 Crossram 302 - Sold for over $100,000.

post-11944-0-49990900-1354465392_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yes! It was very scary driving through those conditions, I definitely learned something driving through this trip. Trust me i wanted to find the closet hotel and get off that road. But when you're in the northern frontier of Michigan each exit is maybe 20-30 miles apart and some don't have hotels! Definitely one trip i won't forget, but glad i made it through with our lives and truck still intact! Thats another thing, my truck did awesome through this trip, we had temp changes from 60 degrees in ohio, to 14* in northern MI. I drove through every single weather condition, Rain, Snow, Fog, Sun, Wind and the truck never complained once! Logged in over 2650 miles i think round trip. The truck did Awesome!!

Tom

• Like 2

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"