Making New Exhaust Pipes

I guess I'd better make a new pipe to go between the flex-pipe (coming from the engine compartment) and the stack. I'm not a huge fan of flex, but it works, and the piece is in excellent condition. The elbow is burned out, and the hanger, which uses a pipe clamp, is cutting through the old rusty pipe.

I'm going to try and use "standard" bits and pieces (see image, below), and try to avoid having to cobble too much. I'll get all relative dimensions this weekend, and try to sketch up something workable. And, hopefully, it'll even fit!

Hopefully, I'll have a picture or two of the results in a few days.

Kent

post-11199-0-13574000-1351883861_thumb.j

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Good luck with that haha. When we did the exhaust on the international we just went to Watts Mack, told them what we needed and went back a couple days later and got all the neccesary bends and straights and my dad cut them to size and welded it up and we're good to go :twothumbsup:

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Got the new pipe made to go from the underside of the cab up to the stack. Bought a commercial 90, and a commercial 60. Cut a short piece off the end of the 90, and spliced it in between the 2 pieces. Fabricated a simple hanger to better support the bottom end of the 90.

Don't have a MIG welder, so it was welded up with 1/16" 7014 rod, at about 40 amps, on "electrode negative" (straight) polarity. Scuffed the aluminizing off at the joints. Welded in about 3/8" long "stitches". Sprayed a little hi-temp paint on the welds to slow down old man rust.

Nice to have the noise go out the top again!

Kent

post-11199-0-48043800-1352580127_thumb.j

post-11199-0-43726600-1352580133_thumb.j

• Like 1

Cool! Why am I not surprised that you posted the first reply, Vinny! I look forward to seeing yours, too. I'm trying to keep this thing on a budget, & making my own parts goes a long way. I hope seeing these posts will help somebody else who's in the same boat.

Kent

Cool! Why am I not surprised that you posted the first reply, Vinny! I look forward to seeing yours, too. I'm trying to keep this thing on a budget, & making my own parts goes a long way. I hope seeing these posts will help somebody else who's in the same boat.

Kent

That looks good Kent, I should do mine like that, that section of exhaust on mine is all pieced and patched together now.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

That looks good Kent, I should do mine like that, that section of exhaust on mine is all pieced and patched together now.

It was pretty easy. Even the bracket was not too hard. Good luck. And let me know if I can offer any info.

Kent

Looks like that will work good, I am waiting on an adapter for my B from 3.5 to 4 inch, I bought some flex to run down the rail but after looking at yours I think I will pick up another elbow and do some thing like you it looks factory and clean.

Yeah, I just tied in to the flex somebody had already run from the down pipe to the back of the cab. It was in perfect shape, so I didn't figure there was any point in replacing it.

The little hanger I made makes this mounting very solid. I don't know if the bracket may need re-inforced to keep from straightening out or not. If it does, I'll pull it off and add a "spine" to it. But, like I said, it seems very solid now.

Best of luck on yours,

Kent

All looks good, I need to do the same thing as you did to your truck. My exhaust currently exits down below so I ordered 4" exhaust elbows & clamps from Summit Racing last night (reasonable prices and low-priced shipping) and a 4" x 70" long stack off of Ebay last night too (I dont need a stack that long, but I will cut-off a portion to use down below). Everything I ordered is 409 stainless steel (except for some of the clamps). I will need to fabricate mounts for the stack, one that mounts to the horizontal bar by the fuel tank and one near the top of the cab.

All looks good, I need to do the same thing as you did to your truck. My exhaust currently exits down below so I ordered 4" exhaust elbows & clamps from Summit Racing last night (reasonable prices and low-priced shipping) and a 4" x 70" long stack off of Ebay last night too (I dont need a stack that long, but I will cut-off a portion to use down below). Everything I ordered is 409 stainless steel (except for some of the clamps). I will need to fabricate mounts for the stack, one that mounts to the horizontal bar by the fuel tank and one near the top of the cab.

Sounds like a plan. Love to see the results.

Kent