Shipping Wars? Love it or hate it?

JTFormula

I am sitting in my man chair watching Shipping Wars and as I ponder the show for its entertainment value I can't help think that people are watching this show saying "hey I can do that too" and a load of new wannabes are popping on UShip posing as legit trucking companies without a DOT or MC #. So a guy with an 86 Checy c30 and a homemade trailer competing with a guy with a tractor trailer with full insurance and a real business now going head to head with each other. I can't see how this is good for the industry.

Now I like the show just for the stupidity factor but you know it's all staged BS and the girl they have on the show is just a model hired for the show.

What are your thoughts?

Its a tipical TV show where money aint for nothing and get your chicks for free

let me put it to you this way

I had an empty trailer heading From Chicago to Long island NY. this was a company truck and we were just looking to pay for the fuel to NY becasuse we just haul our own stuff...... I went on U ship to look for a load. Found a few people shipping bob cats from Chicagoland to a ports in NJ and NY.

Figured I could haul 3 or 4 bob cats easy. I put in a starting bid of $2000 and within 2 days that bid was under cut to about $700. Now my math tells me it would cost about that much in fuel never mind the toll roads? I guess there are lots of people looking to run for beer money? Best part was I get a call 5 hrs after I had left for NY. the Shipper said He wanted to use me as the winning bidder did not know he had to haul more than 1 bob cat. The "trucker" showed up with a pickup truck and u haul trailer. thought he was bidding on moving one machine.

I

Like slpwlkr I watched one episode last year while I was in a motel and that show is effing retarded. Like that bimbo (albeit a cute bimbo) that couldnt figure out that if you turn the steering wheel to get you key to turn in her pickup. From what little I watched it makes me happy those morons arent driving in my neck of the woods. Like all reality shows, a bunch of made up drama and danger to a relatively simple job i.e. Axmen, American Loggers, Ice Road Truckers etc etc etc.

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Lamarck - its funny you said that. Our driver for our shop was in Iowa delivering one of the cars we sold, already dropped another one in Missouri. We had one car coming back to NJ so I was trying to get one on Central Dispatch. Our driver thought he would try UShip. Now our dealership sells classic cars so we have the right equipment and knowledge to properly do classics. There was a 68 Jaguar XKE coming to Bayonne for export. Our driver sent the guy a message with a price. The guy declined and said he had someone else to do it. A day later he contacted bobby and said the dude came with an Isuzu flatbed landscaping truck with a folddown tailgate. Good for lawn mowers, not $40,000 Jaguars. He told him he is SOL because he was already in Ohio and I found him another car to bring back.

The only TV I watch is the Weather Channel and I can't remember when I watched it last. There are a few hot dogs on TWC (Jim Cantore for one) and a few good lookin' babes. I just wish they would drop the special interest shows like How Weather Changed History, Ice Pilots, and other such CRAP!!!! Just give me the fricken weather!

The only other channel of interest is the one that has the old shows (Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, Beverly Hillbillys, etc.). Now that was GOOD TV! :twothumbsup:

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I agree,i for one don't really watch much tv,but these "reality" shows are really getting out of hand! whats next? 'tollbooth attendants"? "crossing guards"? "babysitter wars"? holy shit! enoughs enough! already. I watched this progarm one time,and i actually talked to the guy who drives the KW in a truckstop a few months ago,what a douche this guy is! thinks he's some kind of moviestar i guess!..............if these hollywood morons want reality,maybe they should go to Kentucky,find a guy that works in a coalmine at night,drives a truck during the day does odd jobs,to make ends meet and feed his family! but i guess theres no "entertainment" or" drama" envolved with real people!..................................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

The only TV I watch is the Weather Channel and I can't remember when I watched it last. There are a few hot dogs on TWC (Jim Cantore for one) and a few good lookin' babes. I just wish they would drop the special interest shows like How Weather Changed History, Ice Pilots, and other such CRAP!!!! Just give me the fricken weather!

The only other channel of interest is the one that has the old shows (Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, Beverly Hillbillys, etc.). Now that was GOOD TV! :twothumbsup:

Idk I kinda like that show when weather changed history. It's interesting. Other then that I think the rest of there shows got to go

I seen the show for about 5 minutes one time. The idiots were bidding on a load from New Orleans to Chicago. Some guy with a pickup and a goose neck got the load for $1.00/mile. I told the little woman he cant do it for a dollar a mile. I said how stupid and never watched it again. I rank it with that stupid Ice Road Truckers. I can only watch about 2 minutes at a time.

This is Mack country. On a quiet night you can hear a peterbilt rust away.