How much torque....

JumperAndSon

can an Allison MT643 really handle? There's one for sale near me extremely cheap and I think if we get a chance we'll probably go pick it up. I was just wondering if you guys think it would be okay behind my 318 Detroit? My pickup truck will only end up weighing about 12,000 pounds when it's done so it won't have that much load on it. But if it can't handle the 8V71, we'll just put it behind the 4-71 in the B60. But I'd really like to use it in my pickup truck if I can, so tell me what you guys think.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Ben

They are only rated for 250 net HP, if the V8 is less than that it would be ok but it is rated at 318hp then it would be no, I would with a 6-71/ 6-53, it would be cool to have 13 speed in your pickup. I have always wanted to put a 6-71 and 9 or 13 speed in a one ton

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Ben

They are only rated for 250 net HP, if the V8 is less than that it would be ok but it is rated at 318hp then it would be no, I would with a 6-71/ 6-53, it would be cool to have 13 speed in your pickup. I have always wanted to put a 6-71 and 9 or 13 speed in a one ton

I can't imagine what a 6-71 would do to a one ton front end!

Get real guys.

Look on you tube theakerstwo, there are a lot of pickups with screamers in them. Hell one has a twin stick tranny to boot. So keep on Ben, you will get a detroit in a pick up and it will be awesome.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

<p>The Allison MT643 is a great transmission we have had them here for years in buses with 8.3 Cummins 210's and 250's, the torque on a 318 would kill it though. I would say the 4-71 with a 643 would be a great combo it would be well below the max inpu

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

oops my computer sucks, well below the max input torque and hp, just remember the killer for a 643 is heat keep thethans under 200 and change the filters ad oil regularly and it will last you a while. the 643 may be a pain to get in there, its almost as big as a 4-71 but its doable, I have put a 643 and a 545 in a pickup before the 643 was behind an 8.3 Cummins 250 that was cool, the 545 was behind a 5.9 and after I put on a turbo 150hp injectors and a few other odds and ends we killed the 545. I dont know if the trans comes with an external filter base and lines, if not get one it needs it , they have an internal filter in the pan but the external spin on helps a lot, you can change it when you change the engine oil and it extends the life quite a bit compared to the internal filter alone, and get a BIG cooler they use #8 JIC cooler lines as I recall I cant remmber could be a #6 but they are not your average 3/8" little clamp on line they have too much flow and pressure for that to last. Good luck keep us posted.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Look on you tube theakerstwo, there are a lot of pickups with screamers in them. Hell one has a twin stick tranny to boot. So keep on Ben, you will get a detroit in a pick up and it will be awesome.

That old 52 or 53 sounds really good when he gets it wound up. I always liked the way they sound but in Real World app just not enough ass for me

That old 52 or 53 sounds really good when he gets it wound up. I always liked the way they sound but in Real World app just not enough ass for me

Try a 6V53, I have been tinkering with the idea for a 6V53,9spd pickup for a while it may get done one of these days and they make pretty good power. Oh and they are cheap you can get one from the gov't liquidation website auction for a couple grand.

Well just so you guys know, my pickup is gonna be on a medium duty chassis (from and international 26 foot box truck, or a school bus) with cement mixer transfer case/axles with a custom crewcab and 9 foot bed. I'm definately putting the 8V71 in it for sure. The only thing that is still not a definate in my plan is what tranny I'm gonna use. I'd really like to have an allison, but if worse comes to worse, I know where I can get a cheap 13 speed roadranger. But the truck will be quite far from being a "one ton" for sure.

But on a different note, I think we'll end up using the MT643 behind the 4-71 and drop it in the B60 because my dad is starting to dislike the old scania motor. Oh and thanks guys for all your wise words :D

Ben

I saw this Chevrolet pickup in Winchester in '06 with a Detroit Diesel in it. I think it was a 3-53 though, like in the green forklift at the shop...the one they never use any more.

Yea, that's a 4-53 in that chevy. There's a lot of pickups with 53 series out there. When I build my sister's truck, it'll probably end up with the 3-53 I have and a GM TH400 behind it.

Ben

That ol Cheby is owned by Dan Renovetz, here in Ohio. Member of NEO chapter of ATHS. The truck just got a full body off restoration and is near back together, haven't seen it since last fall?

Not sure Dan comes on this site, but he floats around on other Diesel sites and is a well versed DD guy.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

That ol Cheby is owned by Dan Renovetz, here in Ohio. Member of NEO chapter of ATHS. The truck just got a full body off restoration and is near back together, haven't seen it since last fall?

Not sure Dan comes on this site, but he floats around on other Diesel sites and is a well versed DD guy.

Oh that's cool. Sounds like the kinda guy I'd like to meet.

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

Remember that driveline torque is limited automatically by weight on drive axle(s). If you don't put much weight on it, the tires just spin, limiting the torque. The other factor is the power which is simply the speed and loads on the driveline. Since the loads are light, so is the power, again limiting the transmission loading. So, no need to rate the transmission to the engine power, rather to the driveline power.

Remember that driveline torque is limited automatically by weight on drive axle(s). If you don't put much weight on it, the tires just spin, limiting the torque. The other factor is the power which is simply the speed and loads on the driveline. Since the loads are light, so is the power, again limiting the transmission loading. So, no need to rate the transmission to the engine power, rather to the driveline power.

That's kinda what I was thinking too. If the truck isn't that heavy, then it should be alright but I'm still kinda nervous about it. I would rather just get an AT745 and be safe.

Ben