re-building cat engine

bulldogrider

Yellow, the color of scared sissy engines everywhere!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I have a buddy that always say's it ain't a truck unless it is big ugly and yellow under the hood, i aways say what about beige and ugly!! he gets pissed when i say that, or black with a red top!! Jumperand son you are detriot crazy i guess, but pick one over a cat, man you must really like them, or maybe you haven't got the chance to crusie one down the road with a heavy wagon hooked to it, you would like them then, or maybe you like picken at everone just to keep things interesting!! We all like the old detriot a little bit we are just ashamed to admit it, like a hobby truck with a big loud v8 and a 13 speed 4.11 ratio, and lots of smoke, without a wagon to drive around town on the weekends, that would be a little fun and you would for sure make the people next door mad.

Purrin' kitty cats and barking dogs! I spent many days at the Cat house running endurance, emissions, and performance tests on the original 3406DITA and the 3408DITA engines. Love the exhaust sound of the 3408!

Id love to have one of those original 3408's you were playing with back then, they are neat engines, but I just like big engines pretty much however they come. Oh jumper just so a know an 8V92 doesnt really qualify as a big engine its just shy of 750 ci, the E9 is 998 ci and the 3408 is 1098 I think I remember cause one is 998 the other 1098. A 12V71 is somewhere in the 850 range ( I am too lazy to multiply right now).

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

That was fucking OUTSTANDING!!!! Now I have to clean off the computer screen!!!!

Hmm, I have a sick mind........... thats gross............I need to clean the filth out of my head, would you use a head cleaner for that?

Id love to have one of those original 3408's you were playing with back then, they are neat engines, but I just like big engines pretty much however they come. Oh jumper just so a know an 8V92 doesnt really qualify as a big engine its just shy of 750 ci, the E9 is 998 ci and the 3408 is 1098 I think I remember cause one is 998 the other 1098. A 12V71 is somewhere in the 850 range ( I am too lazy to multiply right now).

Yea, and a 738 CID 8V92TA is making the same horsepower as the 998 CID E9. Now what's that tell ya?????

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Yea, and a 738 CID 8V92TA is making the same horsepower as the 998 CID E9. Now what's that tell ya?????

Ben

E9's are rated low, my last one put over 500 to the wheels dont know about this one yet, oh the last one was rated 440 this one is rated 450, Ill guess 550 to the wheels(lots more to come) Im looking for about 750 or so to the ground so Ill have to do a turbo and injectors and set the pump, thats it. Oh and the 550hp 8V92TA was rated 550 hp at 2100rpm with 1250 tq at 1300 rpm. The E9 400 made 1500 tq at 1200 rpm 400 hp at 1700, the 500 rating made 1610 tq at 1350 rpm and 500hp at 1900 rpm,the Australian E9 made 610hp and 2050tq. I dont know about you but I see a difference in those numbers! I know a few guys that have had some Hot Detroits and they run good but they just dont hold on a long hill like an E9, remember theres no replacement for displacement! I would love to have an 8V92 in an old GMC General or old KW W900 A model they are great sounding engines.
  • Like 1

Ben

Ben,

I don't know about the 8-92 up against the E-9 V8 Mack, and I am a die hard Detroit man, but with that being said, i think the V-12-71-TTA would be a better choice to go up against th Big Mack for torque and hp you have two inline 6's turning one crank!! and when you start puttin fuel to those 8-92's you better wrap

em tight!!

BULLHUSK

E9's are rated low, my last one put over 500 to the wheels dont know about this one yet, oh the last one was rated 440 this one is rated 450, Ill guess 550 to the wheels(lots more to come) Im looking for about 750 or so to the ground so Ill have to do a turbo and injectors and set the pump, thats it. Oh and the 550hp 8V92TA was rated 550 hp at 2100rpm with 1250 tq at 1300 rpm. The E9 400 made 1500 tq at 1200 rpm 400 hp at 1700, the 500 rating made 1610 tq at 1350 rpm and 500hp at 1900 rpm,the Australian E9 made 610hp and 2050tq. I dont know about you but I see a difference in those numbers! I know a few guys that have had some Hot Detroits and they run good but they just dont hold on a long hill like an E9, remember theres no replacement for displacement! I would love to have an 8V92 in an old GMC General or old KW W900 A model they are great sounding engines.

Yea, but look at weight. An 8V92TA weighs at least 1000 pounds less than an E9, which sounds like a benifit to me.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Yea, but look at weight. An 8V92TA weighs at least 1000 pounds less than an E9, which sounds like a benifit to me.

Ben

You need the weight to keep the front wheels on the ground with all that torque!

Ben,

I don't know about the 8-92 up against the E-9 V8 Mack, and I am a die hard Detroit man, but with that being said, i think the V-12-71-TTA would be a better choice to go up against th Big Mack for torque and hp you have two inline 6's turning one crank!! and when you start puttin fuel to those 8-92's you better wrap

em tight!!

BULLHUSK

There just happens to be a Pete race truck with a 12V71 that was balanced and blueprinted about 5 miles from my house, that thing is pretty awesome, look up the pete called the buzzin dozen it was in the beginning of the smokey and the bandit movie on the race track, its yellow with buzzin dozen on the side of the hood.

I'm buying a truck has a c-15 cat engine 475hp with 1 million kms, i'm planning to put a gravel box on it, my question is how long this truck will run before i have to re-build it? or since the construction season is almost over should i re-build it in the winter and get it ready for another million kms? i live on the other side of montana border in canada and the mechanics here a so greedy and i was told on the USA side it is way cheaper to re-build the engine. tell me what you guys think and what do you suggest?

thank

Where abouts are ya at? I am about 35-40 miles from the Canadian border. Whitlash is the closest port to me. Good luck.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

• 2 years later...

Hey GearJammer,

I got a quote from a place in Pharr, Tx for ~5500USD for a Cat Gold kit inframe, it's about 40hrs labor, I think 3-6 mo warranty. In your case, I would measure blowby and definitely do main bearings. Like 84Superdog said, unless it's doing something weird, don't mess with it. 600K miles isn't a lot.

BUT, after you check blowby, do the mains and if you have the extra 500 rods, then go to JBalle electronics in Vancouver BC, they can flash the ECM for 1K - you keep the software, they do it remote - you will gain 1MPG. Talk with Eric, nice guy who didn't mind the questions.

www.jballelectronics.com/

k

When I went to college we tore down and rebuilt a 3406B. When we were all done we hooked it up to a dyno. I don't remember any of the numbers, but man was that a great experiance. That engine had been gone through twice a year for probably 10 years. My dads highschool freind has a couple of Pete's with 550 e models and 18 speeds, those things will flat pull!

And this is for you Ben, we also set the rack travel on a 12v71 and then fired it up and loaded it up in college. The classes in the rest of the building would complain every time we ran it. They are definetly a great sounding engine. We had to have the janitor there with a mop to keep the the oil from pooling under it. :banana:

Ben

They may leak but show me a 3406 anything that doesn't leak too

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!