Batteries and Registration in CT

Ok i got the B75 2 days ago. i will take pics nd post them soon but i have a few questions. it has 4 6 volt group 4 batteries on it that are stone cold dead so i roll start it to get it running. Truth is i dont really want to buy $500 worth of batteries for it replacing them, A friend told me that i can replace them with 2 12 volt group 31 batteries. Do you guy know if i can do that? or what are your thoughts on it? Also for all of you guys in CT, how did you register your truck? Did you get early america plates for it or just register it normally? And you had to get it inspected then correct? not just a vin check.

I run two 12 volt in all my trucks. We don't have many mornings below 30 degrees. The local Mack and KW dealers have had 950 CCA for $79. If your truck still has a 24 volt starter, you will need to install one 12 on each side. That is basically what you have now with two sixes wired in series to make a twelve on each side.

Yes you can go from 4 6 volt batteries to 2 group 31 12 volt batteries a lot less money and easier to maintain I have done this on all three of my trucks

Is that a JD 630 or 720 in your profile pic? Iv got farmalls but iv had my eye on a JD 720, i dont really use the tractors for work that much, mow a field every once in a while, i mostly just use them for lawn orniments and doing tractor pulls at the fairs, thats why i bought the mack, so i could have something cool to pull the tractors to the fairs with

Regarding your registration, Early American plates can be put on from CTDMV. You'll need to have it insured first then you'll need a 30 day Temp. A commercial temp is all that's available as a passenger won't work. The vehicle will need a full inspection at a DMV office. Make sure you explain it's going to be registered as an antique and will not be used for commercial purposes. This precludes all the neccessary equipment (fire extiguisher, flares, triangles). I would have it equipped as if it is commercial though, just in case. For ownership documentation, a Bill of Sale will suffice as it is older than ten years. An original title, though, is always best. Make sure you can find the VIN on the right frame rail, aft of the rear spring perch and clean it so it can be easily read.

I would definately go through the truck prior to getting the Temp ( lights, leaks-air& oil, tires, rot, horns-elec. &air, brakes). When you think you're ready for inspection then get the temp and go for the inspection. If it does fail for some reason, you'll have more time to fix it before the temp runs out and you'll have to get another. Also Early American tags do not require a CDL in CT, if you don't have one. Ask your insurance carrier if they require it, though.

If you have patience, you can also call the DMV info line with all your questions. You could also seek out one of the DMV Inspectors at the site where you'll get it inspected, to see what exactly you'll need and what they'll look for in the inspection for the Early Tags. They can actually be helpful, at times.

Good Luck

I own a business in CT and one day took all my trucks to Whethersfield to have them inspected. The inspector told me they would do it this time but in the future take it to a commercial truck place for the inspection. So I paid a guy last year $320.00 to inspect one of our F550's. He used the form from JJ Keller and we now do our own Federal Inpections.

Best to get advice from the guys on this site. When we wwent through our FMCSA audit the inspector did not bat an eye at the yearly safety records. On your doors install not for hire.

When I went to DMV to register in Norwalk I brought the truck with me. They didn't inspect anything. I handed them the paperwork te requested handed me a set of plates. I was a bit baffled....

ok much appreciated, thank you. i may end up having to go commercial because i would like it to pull the tractors to the fairs but im not totally sure yet

My understanding is that if you have a antique trailer and are hauling for your own use like pulling your tractors you dont need commercial plates i have been pulling a 20 ton trailer with my R model and havent had problems yet

ya i always wondered what the not for hire on the door ment. i have my cdl so i am not worried about that but it seems like every different person at dmv has a different answer on what i need to do and how to register the truck. when i bought it someone told me that i didnt need to get it inspected if i got early america plates for it, turns out they were wrong and its my fault for not checking that out before buying it but its gunna take alot of electrical work and all new tires since they have cracks in them so its going to be a while before its on the road

There are differences in CT offices from site to site, that's why I would suggest visiting the site and talking to the Inspector before hand. Some sites have a full garage and some have only an outside lot. When I registered my B42, the inspector only ckecked all the lights, tires, vin, wipers, as if it was an antique car and not a commercial truck.

With regard to towed loads and Early American plates, if you own it and it's registered to you, you should be fine. Your insurance carrier would be the one to place any restrictions on towed loads. Tell the insurance agent your intentions, some carriers have restrictions on towed loads and some have no restrictions.

I also placard my truck on both sides with "Not For Hire" signs signifying no commercial use. Never had any issues running interstate over the years. One funny story though, in 2005 I was running out to The Rocky Mountain National Park with a Model T on the back and ran across an open scale house near my destination. Pulled in, the place was empty, just a few cruisers no trucks. I rolled onto the scales and stopped. I got out my paperwork and was wondering what this was going to cost. Now the scalehouse had mirrored windows so I can't see anyone inside or out. I'm sitting and sitting and no one comes out, so after a few minutes I talk into this intercom next to me and ask what they needed. A voice comes back and says "Nothing, we're just admiring your truck and car. Have a nice day." That was the only issue I've ever had.

• Like 2

ha wow you lucked out big time. ya see thats what i am looking for, info like that on if it is going to be a full inspection or is an early america one will be simplier. and that is good to know about the not for hire because anything i would tow would be my personal stuff. i will have to find an inspector at dmv when i am ready to get it registered and ask them what i will need