NYFD purchases?

41chevy

Has anyone ever tried to purchase a scrap or abandoned fire truck from NYFD or the MTA?

Keep thinking about the burned out 4 door Mack pumper at the old Flushing airport. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

41 Chevy you spelled "FDNY" wrong.

I have seen a rather detailed list of bidding instructions on an official NYCDCAS webpage before, just cannot remember exactly where. There is a truck junkyard in Cooperburg Pa on Route 309 that buys ex-FDNY apparatus from the city pretty regularly. You do not deal with FDNY at all, it's all NYCDCAS.

And no offense, I really seriously hope you are not trying to get that thing at Flushing airport- it has been rotting there for years and years, has been submerged several times, has had water frozen in all of the nooks and crannies- the thing is absolutely and literally JUNK. Any day now it will desintegrate and turn into dust. Lets not even mention the fact that no offical city records probably even exist for the thing anymore.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

41 Chevy you spelled "FDNY" wrong.

I have seen a rather detailed list of bidding instructions on an official NYCDCAS webpage before, just cannot remember exactly where. There is a truck junkyard in Cooperburg Pa on Route 309 that buys ex-FDNY apparatus from the city pretty regularly. You do not deal with FDNY at all, it's all NYCDCAS.

And no offense, I really seriously hope you are not trying to get that thing at Flushing airport- it has been rotting there for years and years, has been submerged several times, has had water frozen in all of the nooks and crannies- the thing is absolutely and literally JUNK. Any day now it will desintegrate and turn into dust. Lets not even mention the fact that no offical city records probably even exist for the thing anymore.

F.D.N.Y ... F.D.N.Y. ... F.D.N.Y. I've been filing paperwork with the NYPD so much that anytime I put anything on paper for NYC it's starts with N.Y. oops!

I've looked at it a few times when I bid on Flushing Airport clean up. My reason is for patterns of the cab mounts and other specific parts of the crew cab.

It's my understanding that this unit was supposed to have been scrapped many years ago but was bypassed and forgotten. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

New York City has partnered with Property Room Inc. and Copart which from their site now makes thing more difficult to get info. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul, I have no idea how you would get the truck but it would be nice to have. Like you said to see the cabmounts and stuff like that.Not sure what kind of metalworker you are but, you could build one or try to restore this one.....any which way you go i wish you the best of luck on it buddy

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

bet if you went down there and hauled it off,nobody would miss it,and if they did notice it gone,you might even get a medal for hauling it away.

Thought about that. I asked my "godfather" in the NYPD head quarters about it, so we wait and see.

I don't know how to fabricate with an English wheel or power hammer, but if its chassis or panel I can make it, fix it and weld it. I was a Navy Certified welder doing F-14 center wing box sections, tail hook mounts and general Air frame welding and fabrication. I can do MIG, TIG, EB weld, Stick and gas weld steels and aluminum. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

yup, something tells me if you pulled up with a Landoll and winched it on in broad daylight, no one would notice or say a word...

Coming out of NYC, with a burned out, graffitied, FDNY firetruck on a trailer pulled by a black and silver Marmon is definatly something that blends in. LOL :)

P.T.CHESHIRE

The R Model Macks were an order of 5 during the part of the FDNY called "The War Years". With the civil unrest, the FDNY saw the NYC DOT using the R Macks and tried them out. Wasnt a success, and they were disposed of. As for the one in question, the hangars have been gone awhile, and about 3 or more years ago I inquired about it and was told it was gone. Scroll down and see that the front was missing, cab was torched, and just basically beat to crap.

http://forgotten-ny.com/2001/02/return-to-the-weedy-green-yonder-flushing-airport-part-2/

But good luck otherwise.

If it ain't a Mack, it ain't Jack!!!!!! :)

I have asked about other cabs from that order and from what I can find they were the only 5 crew cab R's ever built by Mack and after that they never stamped another wall or roof panel out, they only made enough parts to make the 5 then kept the dies on ice until they were told there would not be another order by fdny. I wonder where the stamping dies went for the panels, you never know they may be in a warehouse in PA somehwere collecting dust waiting to be discovered like so many GM dies have been over the years.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I have asked about other cabs from that order and from what I can find they were the only 5 crew cab R's ever built by Mack and after that they never stamped another wall or roof panel out, they only made enough parts to make the 5 then kept the dies on ice until they were told there would not be another order by fdny. I wonder where the stamping dies went for the panels, you never know they may be in a warehouse in PA somehwere collecting dust waiting to be discovered like so many GM dies have been over the years.

These were the only 4 door R Models that I know of for FIRE apparatus. NYC DOT had dozens, if not hundreds of 4 door R Model cabs that were used by road repair crews over many years. Finding them may be a challenge if you can ever find that Flushing R. Replace the cab with one of them and you're good to go. But it seems NO ONE knows where that rig is.

And FWIW, there are only a handful of CF's left in service. Most, if not all, are MP88's converted to 1,000 gallon foam tenders. These may go up for auction as the shops modifies Seagraves. No word yet, though.

Edited by fdnymackcf

The R Model Macks were an order of 5 during the part of the FDNY called "The War Years". With the civil unrest, the FDNY saw the NYC DOT using the R Macks and tried them out. Wasnt a success, and they were disposed of. As for the one in question, the hangars have been gone awhile, and about 3 or more years ago I inquired about it and was told it was gone. Scroll down and see that the front was missing, cab was torched, and just basically beat to crap.

http://forgotten-ny.com/2001/02/return-to-the-weedy-green-yonder-flushing-airport-part-2/

But good luck otherwise.

Most the Macks remains are sitting in a building off 130th street. Rear body is gone as is the rear 1/2 of the chassis. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

we definately need pics of that.

Won't be back at the yard there til the middle of October with some more lattice boom sections for him.

I do have the feeling they "liberated" the truck before the clean up. Reason is, when I asked if they owned it they said its a city truck...?

P.T.CHESHIRE

Is it really worth restoring if they cut up the chassis?

I just want to measure and copy the FDNY spec'ed mounts and associated cab bracing and parts. If I had it here, I would copy them direct with my Gordon Profiler. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

I just want to measure and copy the FDNY spec'ed mounts and associated cab bracing and parts. If I had it here, I would copy them direct with my Gordon Profiler. Paul

Paul, as much as I love cars and trucks, I can barely change my oil. Did you contact the Mack Museum for the blueprints?

Jimmy.

Paul, as much as I love cars and trucks, I can barely change my oil. Did you contact the Mack Museum for the blueprints?

Jimmy.

The prints are /were in possession of NYC. I've recieved information from Mr Shuemacher (spelling ?) at the museum that a lot the chassis mounts, cross members and even cab bracing was FDNY specific. At one time every vehicle used by NYC was built to their specifications. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

The prints are /were in possession of NYC. I've recieved information from Mr Shuemacher (spelling ?) at the museum that a lot the chassis mounts, cross members and even cab bracing was FDNY specific. At one time every vehicle used by NYC was built to their specifications. Paul

Ok, I have the blueprints for my CF from the Museum, and FDNY was specific on some things on a CF, so i'm perplexed that the museum did not have the blueprints.. If you would like, I have connections at the shop and library at the academy and could see if they have them. Or you can drop a pm to fdnytrucks.com, for Mike has a direct line to the library. Jimmy.

Edited by fdnymackcf

Ok, I have the blueprints for my CF from the Museum, and FDNY was specific on some things on a CF, so i'm perplexed that the museum did not have the blueprints.. If you would like, I have connections at the shop and library at the academy and could see if they have them. Or you can drop a pm to fdnytrucks.com, for Mike has a direct line to the library. Jimmy.

If you could do that it would be great!

1969 Mack R Original Truck # E-305. We did an overlay with images from Peter Lund on the Youngstown site. It appears to be the only one of the lot with the small hose reel on the pumper body, although all the basic units are the same I assume. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Sounds like someone know Mister Lerch!!! LOL He's a great guy.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS