2007 Mack Engines

the new engine will be a hybrid volvo/mack. called the mp7, mp8 and mp10. the mp7 will be a 11L & available from 325 to 405HP, the mp8 will be a 13L & available from 405hp to 485, the mp10 will be a 16L & from 485 and greater. this engine will be only available in the new fusion cab that is coming. the mp7 production will be 1st quarter of 2006, mp8 will be 3rd quarter of 2006 and the mp10 will be 2007. all of these engines will cooled egr.

• 4 weeks later...
the new engine will be a hybrid volvo/mack. called the mp7, mp8 and mp10. the mp7 will be a 11L & available from 325 to 405HP, the mp8 will be a 13L & available from 405hp to 485, the mp10 will be a 16L & from 485 and greater. this engine will be only available in the new fusion cab that is coming. the mp7 production will be 1st quarter of 2006, mp8 will be 3rd quarter of 2006 and the mp10 will be 2007. all of these engines will cooled egr.

Is it just me or is Mack replacing everything that is Mack with Volvo? If I wanted a Volvo engine and a Volvo looking cab I would go and buy a Volvo.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Volvo sold there automobile company to ford. Volvos main focus was to compete in the truck market and off road construction machines. If im not mistaken they are almost as big as Cat if you consider the truck division

I heard this is one of the big reasons they bought mack. knowing its a good vocational truck maker.

times change faster than I change my work shirt so who knows if all this is still true

i can only speak for myself. being around MACK since birth its a hard pill to swallow. but i do understand supply/demand and the cost of two(2) engineering dept. running in two(2) different directions trying to meet epa reqs., also the cost of meeting epa demands are very difficult, and the year 2010 is going to more expensive. i believe when volvo sold the automotive division to ford it gave volvo good cash flow and i believe that MACK has the best dealer organization in the USA and has a very good loyal customer base and a brand name and mascot that is very well respected in transportation field. volvo NEEDED that.

time changes. lets not be too critical at the start. give them a chance. everyone cried when the B model was cut from production(1965) and introduced the R and when the R was cut(1990) we cried again, but the world kept on turning. lets look forward, but lets not forget the old days. if it wasnt for the B,R and the rest of the models that have since died we wouldnt be where we are today.

as soon as barry or i have a pic of the fusion cab we will post it.

:mack1: wat we heard at the factory last time when we were visiting mack was that they develept together whit volvo a new engine based on the d12 and d16 block of volvo but for every brand they have other specifications only the block was the same everything else was new and different for MACK,renault and volvo and even volvo dont make the block by there selfs it comes from a suplier. the hole plan is to reduce the developing costs. you take it or you die as a manufacterer. :mack1:

Is it just me or is Mack replacing everything that is Mack with Volvo? If I wanted a Volvo engine and a Volvo looking cab I would go and buy a Volvo.

Fusion is much more then a new cab based on the Mack cab, not Volvo. They are new models that were designed to be more comfortable, and productive. The new engines are shared with Mack, Volvo, and Renault, but the US engine was developed and manufactured at Hagerstown which is now Volvo North America's powertrain facility, formerly Mack plant. Each truck brand has specific needs and requirements that its own engines will meet. The new trucks will be unveiled soon.

Volvo, VTNA, Mack, and Renault (aka Volvo Global Trucks) share parts just as Peterbuilt, DAF, and Kenworth (aka Paccar), or Freightliner, Mercedes-Benz, Sterling, and Western Star (aka DaimlerChrysler). Volvo has replaced some of their parts with Mack and Renault just as Mack is using Renault and Volvo and so on. Most of these common parts consist of hardware. To compete and survive in this global truck market is necessary to be part of a larger group. It is known by Volvo that someone who buys a Mack is unlikely to purchase a Volvo as their next truck just as a Volvo customer is unlikely to by a Mack. That is why the products will remain different and distinct yet sharing parts for greater buying power. We may not like all the decisions Volvo makes but we are still around.

I am not and unable to give any new info, just trying to clear up concerns and misinformation.

It will be a sad day when we see the Mack name gone altogether!

I'm sure glad I was around to enjoy what I'd say were best years of trucking - 60's :SMOKIE-LFT: , 70's, up to mid 80's... :thumb:

The Europeans will eventually screw everything, take a look at their vehicles - you'll be driving bonneted versions of these like the Volvo VT-800/880 :unsure: with sewing machine engines - God help us! :wacko::wacko:

It will be a sad day when we see the Mack name gone altogether!

I'm sure glad I was around to enjoy what I'd say were best years of trucking - 60's :SMOKIE-LFT: , 70's, up to mid 80's... :thumb:

The Europeans will eventually screw everything, take a look at their vehicles - you'll be driving bonneted versions of these like the Volvo VT-800/880 :unsure: with sewing machine engines  - God help us! :wacko:  :wacko:

I agree

Given the small volumes in class 8 truck production it makes economic sense for Volvo and Mack to share basic engine castings. However, it makes no sense to have 11, 12, and 16 litre engines each with their own parts when they could have developed a "modular" 2 litre/cylinder engine. That would have given them a 10 liter 5, 12 litre 6, and a glorious 16 liter V8!

• 3 weeks later...

They have said what it weighs yet, but with over 400 horsepower in Maxidyne tune the 13 liter sounds like a winner. Wonder if I could order one in an RB conventional?... Mack's webpage still lists that model. Heck,I'd even tolerate that big Granite cab to get a 400+ horse Maxidayne and put those Cats, Cummins, and Detroits in their place!

it is sad that volvo bought them out the thing is guys, the MP7 and MP8 engines are both Mack built, they are both manufactured at hagerstown, and volvo is putting there name on one and mack on the other, so its technically a mack, the MP10 is forged in sweden but i believe it is assembled if i am correct in the states and i believe at hagerstown also, i would have been much happier if Deere owned mack just imagine a new deere 13 liter 650 horse in a mack, hmmm that would be beautiful

honda cars and others build in usa does that make them american?

This is a good point. I think what bothers most of us is that Volvo appears to favor using their designs over Mack designs. That is a bit insulting as why are their designs better then Macks? It is sort of giving us an inferiority complex. We can start worrying when they do to Mack what they did to Autocar.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

One has to remember the economic realities of truck building though- the market is increasingly price competitive like the car market, and you need at least 200,000 units a year of a model in that business to be profitable. IIRC, Mack has never sold anywhere near 100,000 trucks a year, and that volume has traditionally been split between several models. Only by sharing a lot of basic parts like engine blocks, cabs, etc. can Volvo get near the 6 figure annual volumes needed to be competitive.

Thusly we can assume that Mack and Volvo will share engines for years to come, the next generation Volvo cabs will be shared with Mack, and we may see Maxitorque transmissions as an option on Volvo trucks. Keep in mind that this isn't really anything new- legend has it that the MR cab was originally designed for Diamond Reo and is reputedly built by a tractor cab manufacturer in the Quad Cities, the chassis and most of the axles on most CHs were built by Dana Spicer, the MH cab was built by the same vendor that did White's fiberglass cab, and the N model shared a Budd built cab with the Ford C series. Then note that the B model cab bears a susupicious resemblence to a contemporary Reo cab, and who built the early Mack pickups?

• 2 years later...
One has to remember the economic realities of truck building though- the market is increasingly price competitive like the car market, and you need at least 200,000 units a year of a model in that business to be profitable. IIRC, Mack has never sold anywhere near 100,000 trucks a year, and that volume has traditionally been split between several models. Only by sharing a lot of basic parts like engine blocks, cabs, etc. can Volvo get near the 6 figure annual volumes needed to be competitive.

Thusly we can assume that Mack and Volvo will share engines for years to come, the next generation Volvo cabs will be shared with Mack, and we may see Maxitorque transmissions as an option on Volvo trucks. Keep in mind that this isn't really anything new- legend has it that the MR cab was originally designed for Diamond Reo and is reputedly built by a tractor cab manufacturer in the Quad Cities, the chassis and most of the axles on most CHs were built by Dana Spicer, the MH cab was built by the same vendor that did White's fiberglass cab, and the N model shared a Budd built cab with the Ford C series. Then note that the B model cab bears a susupicious resemblence to a contemporary Reo cab, and who built the early Mack pickups?

well said