Rain Cap,good or bad?

bluebonnet

Depends. Lotta show trucks that like the angle cut exhaust use coffee cans to cap them(most have them covered in cloth to not scratch things). Have seen them with handles built in so you don't have to climb up to install them.

Personally, I have two gallon milk jugs I cut the top out and slip down over the pipes if I need to leave outside and chance of rain. I only do it to keep all the wet soot crap from blowing all over everything. Had to do that a few times over the years and on a white truck it makes a MESS!!!!!!

Actually I like the look of rain caps. Been contemplating getting a pair of chrome ones for mine. I hope it moves enough air not to just clank all the time!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Depends. Lotta show trucks that like the angle cut exhaust use coffee cans to cap them(most have them covered in cloth to not scratch things). Have seen them with handles built in so you don't have to climb up to install them.

Personally, I have two gallon milk jugs I cut the top out and slip down over the pipes if I need to leave outside and chance of rain. I only do it to keep all the wet soot crap from blowing all over everything. Had to do that a few times over the years and on a white truck it makes a MESS!!!!!!

Actually I like the look of rain caps. Been contemplating getting a pair of chrome ones for mine. I hope it moves enough air not to just clank all the time!

But thats what makes it classic.

The bullhorn style or good 'ol 90 degree

Oh, and if you decide to go with the bucket idea, remember to remove them before you start up.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Thanks for all the opinions. I was at a small auto-truck show the first weekend of August and while away from my B model there was heavy rainfall. After returning to my truck after the rain a spectator asked if I would let him hear the engine run and I did. I wont go into detail what hapened to the pickup parked on the passenger side of my B as you all have that figured out by now.I survived but wont ever let that happen again. While at Walcott last Friday I puchased a rain cap and will put it on tomorrow. I assume it should open towards the rear of the truck? When at home I keep it in my pole building. Thanks again

Victor

Thanks for all the opinions. I was at a small auto-truck show the first weekend of August and while away from my B model there was heavy rainfall. After returning to my truck after the rain a spectator asked if I would let him hear the engine run and I did. I wont go into detail what hapened to the pickup parked on the passenger side of my B as you all have that figured out by now.I survived but wont ever let that happen again. While at Walcott last Friday I puchased a rain cap and will put it on tomorrow. I assume it should open towards the rear of the truck? When at home I keep it in my pole building. Thanks again

Victor

most guys put the opening towards the curb side...bob

I have always liked the Arkansas Tachometers and install them on most of my trucks. I prefer the Cat style with the counterweight above the pivot bolt as they open 90 degrees. Also, I always turn them towards the side so that the wind doesn't affect the ability to be open all the way at full throttle.

I have curved-end stacks on my current truck,but when i had my MH i always did the "coffee-can" thing over the stack when i was home for a few days,just remember to take them off BEFORE starting the truck!................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

First Mack I drove had a straight stack with The rain cap with the big counter weight. I can still hear the clank,clank,clank in my sleep. Always thought trucks looked tuff with them. But they have to be on a straight pipe. Those mitered flappers look silly imo...as far as fitment....I installed them at 90 deg so at speed the exhaust flow was unabstructed.

Back when I still had the Mack long 90* turnout, I went to start the truck on the morning after stayng the weekend at the racetrack. Not thinking, my buddies mustang was right next to it with the window down> You can guess the results. I splattered the inside with black soot water(DOH!!!). I really like those Mack 90* turnouts with the miter cut on the end. Very retro. But I also like my straight 4" pipes. I'll likely get flappers for them, and turn them sideways so the wind doesn't hold them down.

newbumper3a.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Our DM has the flapper pointed toward the back, I always wondered if the wind would affect it. I actually took a 24" extension with curved end off another truck to add on to ours so I guess it won't matter once it is installed. Ours never made that clanging sound, I kinda like that sound. One of the guys mentioned that when he got his license years ago the boss told him "if you can't hear the flapper banging, the exhaust is leaking". Seems to be the opposite on this truck, then again he was learning on an old IH w/ 6-71 Detroit so their probably just a little different.

When I was a kid my father and I restored lots of 2-cyl John Deeres, with straight stacks. Always had an old coffee can on them, even had a collection of them painted flat black to match the stack. You wanna have some real fun start up one of them "popping johnny's" while the can is still on the stack, we used to have contests at the tractor shows to see who can blow it highest in the air - sometimes them things were about 100' into the stratosphere!!! Then make sure you got somebody on "punt receiver" detail to catch it on the way down (and hope that it doesn't land on your freshly painted hood, they WILL leave a mark!) :whistling:

Long story short, flappers are less work and coffee cans more fun!! :banana:

Thanks all for the good information. When I first bought this truck just over a year ago it had a straight four inch pipe and had no place to store it inside so I used a plastic bag on the pipe held on with a rubber band. good thing i did because when I didnt remember it would show up in my yard, no damage done. I now keep the B inside a pole building constucted for it. Thanks again I will attach the rain-cap sideways facing away from the truck and see how that works.

Victor