Trunnion Bushs

r600

can anyone help?i am doing rear trunnion bush's 34,000 backend its got the red bushes when i did them up the lower trunnion half cap broke.i have been told the red bushs are no good to hard?help

can anyone help?i am doing rear trunnion bush's 34,000 backend its got the red bushes when i did them up the lower trunnion half cap broke.i have been told the red bushs are no good to hard?help

I've seen several of the polyurethane bushings break the lower caps upon tightening up the bolts and nuts. This is usually the result when an impact wrench is set on high torque, and the fasteners are not drawn down evenly.

I usually tighten in a four step torque process using an "X" pattern. Ultimately, these fasteners need about 1250-1400 ft. lbs. applied. It is easy to get "over zealous" to get the job done quickly. Also, be sure to lube up the exterior, and interior of the bushings before installation. This will allow them to move a bit as they compress.

Good Luck.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob i was told not to grease up the bushings as it helps push them out faster? i wonder what others think?

My opinion is that they should have some lube to help them wiggle on tight turns but thats just my .02

As for the caps i have seen them snap as well (on my truck) i just bought new ones as mine were worn from old age

I have read the proceedure to installed these bushings in the manual for my truck. It said to use dishwashing soap to lube the bushings, I would say greese or oil would have softened to natural rubber ones used in the old days, the soap would just dry up I guess.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

Rob i was told not to grease up the bushings as it helps push them out faster? i wonder what others think?

My opinion is that they should have some lube to help them wiggle on tight turns but thats just my .02

As for the caps i have seen them snap as well (on my truck) i just bought new ones as mine were worn from old age

While true of natural rubber, or to an extent, Neoprene, oil/grease will soften and attack rubber where polyurethane, (of which the conversation speaks of) is impervious to attack from petroleum products.

I actually use silicone grease, (dielectric compound such as used on spark plug boots) for lubrication of urethane parts. It keeps the speaking to a minimum long term.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

While true of natural rubber, or to an extent, Neoprene, oil/grease will soften and attack rubber where polyurethane, (of which the conversation speaks of) is impervious to attack from petroleum products.

I actually use silicone grease, (dielectric compound such as used on spark plug boots) for lubrication of urethane parts. It keeps the speaking to a minimum long term.

Rob

thanks for all your comments.i have got new trunnion caps on the way and think i will change the red bush's to rubber. my parts man has told me the bush's only come in 8 1/4 or 6 5/8 but my red bush's are 7 1/2???can anyone help with the right bush maybe a part number . thanks again

• 3 months later...

Heres my 2 cents for what its worth. I have no ideal about the part numbers or the size they have always worked when i bought them and never really checked the size of them. But i do know that the Red bushings will outlast the rubber bushings by a long shot. The rubber ones always seemed to wear too quick for me. I eventually changed the stands and springs over too 44,000 with the brass bushings on a 74 R-600 that orignally had 38,000 I got alot more service out of it after the swap but it really does depend on how your using the truck before you convert it over to the brass bushing type

thanks for all your comments.i have got new trunnion caps on the way and think i will change the red bush's to rubber. my parts man has told me the bush's only come in 8 1/4 or 6 5/8 but my red bush's are 7 1/2???can anyone help with the right bush maybe a part number . thanks again

The secret to making the brass trunion last is to jack the truck off the ground (all the weight off the wheels) let em hang! then grease em!

Grease will always take the path of least resistance and that being the up side of the trunion when the weight is on the wheels ,the bottom side while hanging

this way your putting the grease where it needs to be!on the bottom.

That is the best way to do them fjh except most ppl don't go to the trouble of it and i am guilty of that myself. Grease is the key to the bronze bushings. they actually need a grease fitting on the bottom side also. Even if they are not jacked up its best to at least hit them once a day with a squirt of grease.

:mack1: Just take the 8 1/4 long one and cut it off to the right lenght. terry

Back in the late 80's while at the Mack school they told us to use " edible beef tallo" (exact words) to lube the rubber bushings. When I asked the instructor what this was he said cow fat. While writing this reply I looked in my old Mack service manual for a MB685 printed in 1973 says to " coat rubber insulators with liquidsoap. do not use grease or oil."

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Old thread I know...But I'm replacing y worn rubber trunnions to urethane. My thoughts are that the grease would help the urethane move on the trunnion shaft. I understand the theory behind protecting the rubber style from harm, but clearly the urethane is impervious grease. Thoughts?? I did manage to snag some 30wt non-detergent oil...but I don't tyhink I'll use that now. My Mack TS442 books spec 'edible mutton tallow or 20 Wt non-detergent'.

'

Glad I saw this thread before I started torqing the u-bolts...

Thanks,

Artt