Denver runaway ramp crash

lucerne tractor

I was climing one of the steep parts west bound, looked up the road and saw this truck going too fast, this was the results. Saw him upright , then up on the passanger side wheels then he went over. He slid a long ways. He stopped just below me. I was going to set up the video camera for the pull but didn't bother, wish I did. On the way down the back side I was geared down and doing 35, letting it rev to 1800 and then stab the brakes down to 1450 and let it go again. good old power leash engine brake,why can't they put a jake on Macks?. This left time for the brakes to cool. A Freightliner behind me had to pass, when he did the smoke was rolling off all his brakes steady. He had his foot on the brakes all the time I could see him. Guess he made it, didn.t see him in the woods. There were probably 3 semi's broke down and five cars just going over and down the big one in Denver. Made it to Aurora Utah, now sitting in Flagstaff, might head for Huston or Fortworth. No rgn loads out west. http://5280fire.com/?p=27400

• Like 1

I was climing one of the steep parts west bound, looked up the road and saw this truck going too fast, this was the results. Saw him upright , then up on the passanger side wheels then he went over. He slid a long ways. He stopped just below me. I was going to set up the video camera for the pull but didn't bother, wish I did. On the way down the back side I was geared down and doing 35, letting it rev to 1800 and then stab the brakes down to 1450 and let it go again. good old power leash engine brake,why can't they put a jake on Macks?. This left time for the brakes to cool. A Freightliner behind me had to pass, when he did the smoke was rolling off all his brakes steady. He had his foot on the brakes all the time I could see him. Guess he made it, didn.t see him in the woods. There were probably 3 semi's broke down and five cars just going over and down the big one in Denver. Made it to Aurora Utah, now sitting in Flagstaff, might head for Huston or Fortworth. No rgn loads out west. http://5280fire.com/?p=27400

Lucerne, I got educated on mountains when I was bout 20, in an R model with load of logs and no engine brake. I made it safely down, dint tear nothing up but my nerves, and is a moment of my life I will never forget. I really think my life was flashing fore my eyes when all that happened. It was actually more of a very long steep hill, bout a mile, and is famous for all the cement trucks it has claimed, turning over at turn at bottom. Road actually dead ends at bottom, you have to make a turn either right or left, or go through front gate of steel mill, prolly at a high rate of speed without security pass. After that, I went 4 miles further every day to avoid hill. I did just last year haul dozer down it in Killer B, dint seem to scare me as bad that time though, course it had been almost 40 years since last gamble,,,,randyp

That must be one hell of a scare for a driver to not only be out of control, but not knowing when or how it will end.

The Jake on my Sterling is pretty lame but I fortunately I don't run the steep hills every night. When necessary, I drop another gear to compensate for the lack of effectivness of the engine brake and go down slower than I would like. It can be frustrating, but the truck stays on the road, with the tires on the bottom.

• Like 1

Jim

That must be one hell of a scare for a driver to not only be out of control, but not knowing when or how it will end.

The Jake on my Sterling is pretty lame but I fortunately I don't run the steep hills every night. When necessary, I drop another gear to compensate for the lack of effectivness of the engine brake and go down slower than I would like. It can be frustrating, but the truck stays on the road, with the tires on the bottom.

Thats it go down slow all you want. you go over the side once

• Like 1

that's what I do, the engine brake on that PACCAR engine is pretty weak too. The speed limit is 45 on Sandstone mountain, but I drop an extra gear and go down it about 25 and don't even have to use my brakes. People have said "the speed limit's 45" and I say "yeah, but that doesn't mean you have to go 45".

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I've seen the video a few times, but never the post-crash photos. I hope the victim's families are okay with this being shown in training classes because it really drives home the point of why it's important to choose the proper gear and not rely solely on your brakes when descending long, steep hills.

I don't know if this was the case in this accident, but some compaines have trainers and trainees run as a team. How the hell can a trainer evaluate a student when one of them is sleeping most of the time?

Jim

I've seen the video a few times, but never the post-crash photos. I hope the victim's families are okay with this being shown in training classes because it really drives home the point of why it's important to choose the proper gear and not rely solely on your brakes when descending long, steep hills.

I don't know if this was the case in this accident, but some compaines have trainers and trainees run as a team. How the hell can a trainer evaluate a student when one of them is sleeping most of the time?

doesnt matter,,,cause half the trainers only have 3 months experiance,most of these gippo outfits,,thank god for jakes,,,i ran a lotta years without one,had them smoking pretty good a time or two,,not good.bob
  • Like 1

In my one and only scare, I dint know an R-model hood could vibrate like that, and I heard all kinda strange creepy sounds. Felt like I should hear sound barrier booming just any second. I had done pumped brakes till lil ole leg was wore out. I was not even gonna consider an even lower gear, per chance I may get it outta that gear and not be able to get back in any gear, then be going down hill in neutral. Felt like they prolly ought foam runway at steel mill and get hell outta way after scrambling firetrucks. I made turn at bottom, scattering bark, not sure how truck managed to keep her feet under her though. God definitely was with me that day,,,,randyp

In my one and only scare, I dint know an R-model hood could vibrate like that, and I heard all kinda strange creepy sounds. Felt like I should hear sound barrier booming just any second. I had done pumped brakes till lil ole leg was wore out. I was not even gonna consider an even lower gear, per chance I may get it outta that gear and not be able to get back in any gear, then be going down hill in neutral. Felt like they prolly ought foam runway at steel mill and get hell outta way after scrambling firetrucks. I made turn at bottom, scattering bark, not sure how truck managed to keep her feet under her though. God definitely was with me that day,,,,randyp

I'm not proud of every descent of a hill that I've done but like you, I survived them all and got to see first hand why you need to be in control BEFORE you start down. I may not be very bright, but I'm not as dumb as I used to be!

Jim

Check out this thread: Tri-Axle comes down an 8% grade (1+ mile long) to a T-intersection, plows an SUV straight into a fire station, sets the fire station on fire (kills the driver of the SUV) destroys the fire station and the three firetrucks inside. Happened here about a month ago.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/25280-tri-axle-crash-with-ensuing-fire-destroys-firehouse-video-of-an-old-cf-doin-the-deed/page__fromsearch__1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Thats it go down slow all you want. you go over the side once

How's that line from Dr. Bill video..................."you can go down the pass too slow many times, but you can only go down too fast once".

That mixer picture reminds me of Smokey and the Bandit when Buford tells his son to duck or you're gunno loose your head(as they go under that bridge span sitting across the road).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

My first trip across across Donner was the occasion when I realized, that although I already knew just about everything, I did not know how to drive in the mountains. Having survived, and realizing my lack of knowledge, I searched out someone who did know. Basically it is this, slow down before you need to. get in a gear that will actually retard your forward motion, even if it means going into the low side. If you do not have a working engine brake hold a light constant pressure on the brakes to keep from over speeding the engine. If you can't tighten up on the brakes and stop easily you are not in a low enough gear. DO NOT FAN THE BRAKES. A cushion of air between hot brake shoes, and hot drums, will only serve to expand the drums more. Ignore any moron who insists that you are going too slow, especially if he or she says you are making their brakes get hot. Good luck, I hope none of you have to learn the hard way.

:SMOKIE-RT:

Looks to me like the guy on the runaway truck ramp was already mostly overturned before he even reached the dirt. Panicked and jerked the wheel?

Speed :SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

My first trip across across Donner was the occasion when I realized, that although I already knew just about everything, I did not know how to drive in the mountains. Having survived, and realizing my lack of knowledge, I searched out someone who did know. Basically it is this, slow down before you need to. get in a gear that will actually retard your forward motion, even if it means going into the low side. If you do not have a working engine brake hold a light constant pressure on the brakes to keep from over speeding the engine. If you can't tighten up on the brakes and stop easily you are not in a low enough gear. DO NOT FAN THE BRAKES. A cushion of air between hot brake shoes, and hot drums, will only serve to expand the drums more. Ignore any moron who insists that you are going too slow, especially if he or she says you are making their brakes get hot. Good luck, I hope none of you have to learn the hard way.

heh,,,like the part about the morons,,,,they usually have a strong jake,,,and 15,000 pounds,.lol bob