Tri-Axle crash with ensuing fire destroys firehouse- video of an old CF 'doin the deed.

1958 F.W.D.

Video:

http://statter911.co...roys-firehouse/

Today, at approx. 1250pm, a tri-axle dump truck fully loaded with asphalt crashed through the front of the Leithsville Fire Company (Northampton County, Lower Saucon Township, Pa.) and triggered a massive fire that destroyed the fire station and 5 pieces of apparatus. The station, which is located at 1995 Leithsville Road (Route 412, in between 611 and I-78) is at the intersection with Flint Hill Road. If you google the address (use zip code 18055) you will see that it appears the driver of the dump came down Flint Hill Road (which is an 8% grade for over 1 mile) lost the brakes somehow and probably swerved to avoid the apartment building immediately at the bottom, choosing to plow the firehouse instead. The driver of the dump was transported to St. Lukes Hospital in Bethlehem, with severe burns. No one was in the fire station at the time. In the video, the two bays of the fire station on the right appear to be vacant- the dump truck pushed the engine company and the heavy rescue back into the back of the firehouse. The heavy rescue was probably totalled even before it stopped moving.

At 2:16 you can what is left of the new (less than a year old) Harvester/Fouts Brothers 3000 gallon tank truck- you can make out the front bumper and the federal Q mechanical siren,

These guys are second due to my home- they are a good bunch, keep them in your thoughts.

Posted the video because I thought everyone would enjoy Lower Saucon Fire Co's CF Telesqurt 'doin the deed. The maxidyne sounds pretty despite the circumstances.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

That's a terrible story. Hopefully, other departments pitch in and help get them back on their feet soon. It's always a shame when a fire station

burns down due to a lack of an alarm system or sprinklers. Those should not be luxury items but with many departments short on cash they

often get left out. Of course, in this case all the alarm systems and sprinkler systems in the world wouldn't have helped.

bulldogboy

Unfortunately this situation has turned fatal. Looks like the dumptruck plowed a car across the intersection and into the firehouse. They didnt even find it until an hour or two ago, well into overhaul. Google map 1995 Leithsville Road in zip 18055. Thats the address for the firehouse which will have the pin. The truck came down Flint Hill Road, which is an 8% grade for... 1+ mile. Rumor has it that he was saying he turned into the firehouse to avoid the residential structure, which you can see directly across the intersection, next to the firehouse (exposure D.)

Mike, I dont know about the B. I know they had another CF pumper which went upstate somewhere, and now a friend of mine owns it.

Bulldog- I agree. Dont think sprinklers would have helped. It should be mentioned that this company and the Se-Wy-Co fire company (Northampton County Company 18) are almost completely merged.

Little off topic but talking about accidents Where i loaded in Swisher,Ia well trying to load was in the shop this morning talking to them as they where haveing problems when the gm came out and told them one of the mechanics had gotten into an accident and died. I know it is somewhere around Des Moines this morning

thinks i saw an old R model tandelm axle in that video somewhere. must be nice to run some of that old equipment. up her in New York State they must think we are made of money and they wont let you run and antique firetruck thats over 20 years old. Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

thinks i saw an old R model tandelm axle in that video somewhere. must be nice to run some of that old equipment. up her in New York State they must think we are made of money and they wont let you run and antique firetruck thats over 20 years old. Matt

Matt if your department follows NFPA guidelines, NFPA does not allow apparatus 20 years or older. In fact it requires rigs 15 years to go into "reserve" status and then out of service completely at 20. This is why many organizations pick and choose which guidelines to follow.

Sad news about the car driver.

Keystone in Boyertown was running their 72 Ward LaFrance until 3 years ago and just replaced their 61 IH brush truck last year. Not too many old fire trucks in service around here anymore.

Mike

Not only an "R" model tanker but also a big Autocar (Volvo !!!!) at the scene. If you like old in service fire equipment come to northern New England.

While many small departments are now buying custom apparatus there are still lots of trucks more than 20 years old still in service.

bulldogboy

That sucks, but the CF looks good. Didn't Upper Saucon have a really nice B model pumper that they sold about 7 years ago?

Mike

According to the Upper Saucon VFD website they had a 1958 Mack "B" model 750/500. It was sold to the North Plainfield (PA ??) Exempt Fireman's

museum. It will be on display and also used as a hearse for firefighters' funerals.

bulldogboy

Not only an "R" model tanker but also a big Autocar (Volvo !!!!) at the scene. If you like old in service fire equipment come to northern New England.

While many small departments are now buying custom apparatus there are still lots of trucks more than 20 years old still in service.

bulldogboy

The A-Car is Springtown VFC, Bucks County Company 40.

That's quite a tragedy. Thoughts and prayers to the family of the driver of the car and best wishes to the fire company. I hope it won't be very long before you are back up to speed.

The CF looked great sitting there doing it's job the same as it would have done many years ago on it's first call.

Jim