Glider kit

bullhusk

Ordered a WESTERN STAR rolling glider on Wed. It should be here mid Aug. I bought a new 00-13 speed and ordered a 14-l 575 non EGR Detroit for her. I had a wrecked Pete donor truck with a Detroit core motor that I will use. This is a first for me, we will save a few bucks, but It's not the money, It's the new DEF and all the other new shit that I'm trying to stay away from!! I'll keep you guys posted on my progress!! If any of you guys have put together a glider kit please let me know what I'm in forrrrrrrrrr!!

BULLHUSK

I've built several RW and CH gliders in the mid 80's and early 90's. These were of course mechanical E-6 engines so not much electrical to hook up. I would choose an existing truck and order exhaust, motor mounts, CMCAC piping using that serial number.With the components ready to install I would figure on 40 hours labor.Now we are buying complete gliders . We have 3 2012 and 1 2013 Freightliners with 1999 model year 12.7 Detroits. We got sick of the particulat filters, the ARD heads and double turbo Cat nonsense. So far these have been super(only 40K miles). Good luck and I know your'e doing the right thing. Steve

I've built several RW and CH gliders in the mid 80's and early 90's. These were of course mechanical E-6 engines so not much electrical to hook up. I would choose an existing truck and order exhaust, motor mounts, CMCAC piping using that serial number.With the components ready to install I would figure on 40 hours labor.Now we are buying complete gliders . We have 3 2012 and 1 2013 Freightliners with 1999 model year 12.7 Detroits. We got sick of the particulat filters, the ARD heads and double turbo Cat nonsense. So far these have been super(only 40K miles). Good luck and I know your'e doing the right thing. Steve

Steve,

Thank you, the serial # of the DD575 will go to W-Star along with the trans, so the truck will be plumbed for me. Also since the motor and truck are all owned by Dem. Benz makes life a little bit E/Zer! I think the next one will be a power glider, that comes with the motor and susp. all you have to do is install the rears and trans

BULLHUSK

Yeah love our genius' like Gore, burn another fossil fuel (urea) to pretend the emissions are cleaner. What is a glider kit? Is it just putting a cab on a different chassis?

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Yeah love our genius' like Gore, burn another fossil fuel (urea) to pretend the emissions are cleaner. What is a glider kit? Is it just putting a cab on a different chassis?

New factory cab & frame complete with all hardware and int. of your choice. You give the factory all the serial #'s of the drive train and or engine that you are using and they will drill and set-up your X-members and mounts for your motor and rears, or if you have a donor truck they will look up the mfg. build sheet and work off of that. A rolling glider comes with the susp. of your choice as well as the rears and ratio of your choice, A power glider comes with a fac. reman engine and no rear's or trans. a standard glider is just a cab an frame rails

BULLHUSK

Why doesn't Mack offer a powered glider with a re-man 98-02 Etech engine?I think they are missing the boat,big time.

Ditto! We have been kicking around the idea of a Pete rolling chasis. I just really do not want a Pete. We have also been talking about bringing in one of our 95' CH's and doing a refurb on it. The idea there would be if it can be taken off the truck then it should be replaced. All mounts, hoses, valves, wiring harnesses, rubbers, fuse panal, overhaul motor, rebush front and rear susp., new paint, replace worn interior parts, get rid of ball and seat wheels and replace with unimounts. The truck we would start with has 1,200,000 miles on it and has not had the motor overhauled and averages 6 MPG. A lil better than our 06' Granites that average 4.5 MPG just a thought. -Brad

I am surprised that the current powers that be have not outlawed gliders for emissions reasons?

You might just see that happen if Obone-head is elected!!! And we'll be burning algie or what the hell ever It's called!!!

New factory cab & frame complete with all hardware and int. of your choice. You give the factory all the serial #'s of the drive train and or engine that you are using and they will drill and set-up your X-members and mounts for your motor and rears, or if you have a donor truck they will look up the mfg. build sheet and work off of that. A rolling glider comes with the susp. of your choice as well as the rears and ratio of your choice, A power glider comes with a fac. reman engine and no rear's or trans. a standard glider is just a cab an frame rails

BULLHUSK

Thanks for explaining that to me. Not trying to get personal but I was wondering is it considerably cheaper to get a glider kit built the way you want rather than tracking down and buying a factory truck that is built the way you want? Just curious about the ins and outs of this glider kit stuff.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Ditto! We have been kicking around the idea of a Pete rolling chasis. I just really do not want a Pete. We have also been talking about bringing in one of our 95' CH's and doing a refurb on it. The idea there would be if it can be taken off the truck then it should be replaced. All mounts, hoses, valves, wiring harnesses, rubbers, fuse panal, overhaul motor, rebush front and rear susp., new paint, replace worn interior parts, get rid of ball and seat wheels and replace with unimounts. The truck we would start with has 1,200,000 miles on it and has not had the motor overhauled and averages 6 MPG. A lil better than our 06' Granites that average 4.5 MPG just a thought. -Brad

Life around your place would never be the same with one of those things.

Better take stock in, or purchase a towing company.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks for explaining that to me. Not trying to get personal but I was wondering is it considerably cheaper to get a glider kit built the way you want rather than tracking down and buying a factory truck that is built the way you want? Just curious about the ins and outs of this glider kit stuff.

It's been several years but I put together a couple of R model gliders using reman engines and transmissions, with used drive axles. The cost would be about 55% on average for a complete new truck using these components from what a similar complete brand new truck was. The only thing used was the rears and the driveshaft which that stuff could also be new if wanted.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It's been several years but I put together a couple of R model gliders using reman engines and transmissions, with used drive axles. The cost would be about 55% on average for a complete new truck using these components from what a similar complete brand new truck was. The only thing used was the rears and the driveshaft which that stuff could also be new if wanted.

Rob

Rob,

The new 'rolling glider kit' comes with new rears and susp. less engine and trans. or a 'power glider' comes with reman engine and no rears and trans. I'm still about 40k cheaper then a new tractor, and none of the EGR or cow piss or A-Cert..B-Cert....C-Cert 2&3 MPG shit!!

BULLHUSK

• Like 1

I can believe it Ernie. The cost on new trucks is astronomical. This is on top of the headache the new ones give the owners. The R models we built were either 78, or 79 models for a tank manufacturing outfit. They purchased three very close to then new Mack tractors, a rollover, and a wrecked R model from a bankrupt company. Two new glider kits, (nice ones actually) were purchased from the St. Louis Mack dealer, as were the engines, and transmissions. The transmissions were six speeds to replace the original five speeds. The engines were ENDT676 @ either 283, or 285horse. I don't recall them saying "REMACK" anyplace on them but all were Mack factory fresh rebuilds. A new Mack R model set up with the same driveline was about $55,000-$62,000 new. I don't think the total cost of the glider build the way they were done was over $32,000 including the labor.

A considerable cost savings even in those days as the trucks for all practical purposes were new excluding rear tires, driveline, and rears.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

My boss looked into buying rolling gliders about a year ago from freight liner. We had a donor truck that was a business class fl that was wrecked . Freight liner said they could not sell it to us because the drivetrain from the donor truck was not emissions legal for the new glider. I m wondering now if we shouldn't have went to the western star side of freight liner and talked to them.

My boss looked into buying rolling gliders about a year ago from freight liner. We had a donor truck that was a business class fl that was wrecked . Freight liner said they could not sell it to us because the drivetrain from the donor truck was not emissions legal for the new glider. I m wondering now if we shouldn't have went to the western star side of freight liner and talked to them.

Freightliner will only sell Columbia and Coronado glider's with 2010 or newer engines, this all came about when they stopped building the Classic. Tell your boss to go to W-Star and he can get anything he wants, even a glider set up for a mech. engine

BULLHUSK

wow,,,,just spotted this post (ERNIE) you da man.lol....i wouldnt tackle that,,,i was going to make a pickup out of a U model cab,and nose one time,,,and decided was too much work,,,and got rid of the parts good luck.lol.bob

wow,,,,just spotted this post (ERNIE) you da man.lol....i wouldnt tackle that,,,i was going to make a pickup out of a U model cab,and nose one time,,,and decided was too much work,,,and got rid of the parts good luck.lol.bob

You had to the foresight to circumvent personal injury from resultant rollover of putting one of those things together. Nice, very nice.

Rob

:SMOKIE-RT: I would'nt mind a Titan glider or even a CL glider. Would make a nice truck to put my other E9 in.

I Don't know why Mack and other truck co's won't let an outside company build Superliner an F-Liner Classic Gliders ?? It would make good busn. and would put a lot of people to work!!........... Oh shit did I say the wrong thing again?? puttin people to work ?? Sorry... How stupid of me!!!

BULLHUSK

It would be nice though, don't ya think...A new RW with A Reman E-9 500 under the hood??!!

You had to the foresight to circumvent personal injury from resultant rollover of putting one of those things together. Nice, very nice.

Rob

haha,,,just spotted this,,,my plan was to mount the cab straight on the chassis,,,,but thanks for the pep talk.bob

I Don't know why Mack and other truck co's won't let an outside company build Superliner an F-Liner Classic Gliders ?? It would make good busn. and would put a lot of people to work!!........... Oh shit did I say the wrong thing again?? puttin people to work ?? Sorry... How stupid of me!!!

BULLHUSK

It would be nice though, don't ya think...A new RW with A Reman E-9 500 under the hood??!!

putting people to work??????,,,,what a crazy idea....obamby would throw you out of his country,,if he read that

putting people to work??????,,,,what a crazy idea....obamby would throw you out of his country,,if he read that

Pity the thought.

Rob

Pity the thought.

Rob

Rob,

Could you just imagine... Lets just say you start a company and call it Classic 8's (class eight trucks) and you get the rights from Mack, Freightliner, maybe even Brockway and Autocar and start stamping out some old R7's and some 761 Brock's with the R-cab's and DC- A-Cars and older Liners ??? Just plain old glider's with a front axel and interior..Why not ?? How hard would it be to make a 760 or 761 esp. the fib. tilt nose?

They have been doing it with old Ford's for some 50+ years now!! It can be done and I'm in if any of you guys out ther would like to research it

BULLHUSK