Mack B Model on a Gooseneck

tkobes43

With the exception of a couple, I've hauled all my trucks home on a trailer much like that one. I wouldn't make attempt to haul a "U" model home up and off center like that. The so called "kick stand" needed would make the load too wide and would invite Mr. DOT to come visit.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

With the exception of a couple, I've hauled all my trucks home on a trailer much like that one. I wouldn't make attempt to haul a "U" model home up and off center like that. The so called "kick stand" needed would make the load too wide and would invite Mr. DOT to come visit.

Rob

mmmmm,,hmmmmmm.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Rob

Well, I would. Dont take my word for it though seriously. I think your B61 would look good on there. Its a little bit smaller than my U, so I would. I think my U would be top heavy on that.

Rob- Sounds good rob. There is a truck show coming up to my area in a next month or so. Im gonna load up the B Model on the gooseneck and take it to the show with the international. Ill make sure i grab a few pics for ya.

Vinny- Thanks for your help. Im just concerned about the weight, If I'm not mistaken the "B" weighs more then the "U"... Correct?

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Rob- Sounds good rob. There is a truck show coming up to my area in a next month or so. Im gonna load up the B Model on the gooseneck and take it to the show with the international. Ill make sure i grab a few pics for ya.

Vinny- Thanks for your help. Im just concerned about the weight, If I'm not mistaken the "B" weighs more then the "U"... Correct?

Tom

I dont think it weighs more than a U? Make sure you get pictures.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

I can tell you that I hauled my L model on a similiar trailer but has a fifth hitch. i am looking to convert it to a gooseneck when I get the time. Stability was fine. Wieght was heavy! Every law man I passed looked twice but noone stopped me. After talking to both VA and TX to be legal for a private citazen it requires a CDL, med card, and proper registration. No other BS other than stopping at scales. No IFTA or log books. What are you going to tow it with? I bet the first thing they check is axle wieght on the tow vehicle. That was the common thread with every DOT officer I talked to about my load. Somewhere on here I have picks of it crossing the Cat scale behind my 5500.

Tom

In the "Trusty, yet Crusty" ole Dodge, I set the load on the trailer to drop the truck about four inches or so. This allowed the truck to maintain good handling characteristics and not burn the tires off from being too heavy. Basically, split the weight of the load on the truck and trailer. About 60/40 is great balance with the heavier on the pulling unit, (truck).

With no dovetail on the rear of the trailer use good long ramps to avoid dragging the bottor of the truck when loading.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If turbocharged, duct tape the exhaust stack shut to not allow the turbin to spin unlubricated while traveling.

Rob

Would you haul a B61t on this gooseneck? Im worried that it will be to top heavy.

Trailer is a 40' gooseneck with air ride suspension. With tandem axles.

Pics-

IMG00464-20120429-1142.jpg

IMG00466-20120429-1142.jpg

Tom

I see your in NJ or the New England area, measure the load height, stay under 13'6" and remember the true height, there are briges everywhere up here lower then that. They will be posted, just keep an eye open. Top heavy, no problem, just drive reasonable. Best to chain four corners pulling four directions, best to hook to the axles that way there is no bounce slack in the chain.

Thanks for all your help guys...! I will be towing it with a 07 international 4400. i will not be over weight by any means. Im only going about 20 minutes to the truck show. If any of you guys are in the area stop on by. Its at the sussex county fair grounds! not to sure on the dates tho.

Lucerne- I am in Northern NJ!!

Thanks again,

Tom

I have hauled semis all over the country and have been stoped by a few state police with a 32 foot dual tandem trailer and a single rear wheel ford f350 superduty. The cops were more worried about if I was hauling commercially or for my self, when I explained that it was a retired truck they were just fine and were very pleasant. I have never had a problem as far as loading, unloading and hauling. I did loose a wheel bearing in Pennsy. one time but I dont believe that was the trailers fault (chinese bearing). Is your dove tail in the up position on that trailer or does it not have one? I have had v8 superliners on my truck and trailer so a b should be a cake walk. Morgan

• Like 1
15 gears...no waiting!

What everyone else said plus make sure you use a "four point" tie down to meet DOT standards. One problem I have with my trailer is the weight of the truck sometimes keeps the ramps from lowering all the way down. I now carry a couple of sloped boards that I back the trailer onto in order to raise the rear end enough to get the ramps to drop all the way down.

I also installed jacks on the rear to keep the ramps from kicking up as I load and unload.

post-2016-0-15874000-1335789354_thumb.jp

post-2016-0-75780600-1335789396_thumb.jp

post-2016-0-35968500-1335789430_thumb.jp

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

fxfym, what does that fire truck wiegh? I would think that you are pushing them trailer tires pretty bad. My single axle L model is 14,800lbs and maxs out my dual tandem.

Those look like 17.5" lowboy tires. They are usually about 14 ply rating.

Rob

Thanks everyone for your help,

B61fred- Thats ford tough for ya!! Love to see pics if you have any of the ford all loaded up! Thanks for your help.

freighttrain- Trailer is not dovetail :icon_bs: , the one with dovetails where WAY out of my $$$$$ range.

FXY- yes sir! I got my chain and binders a few days ago! Im all set with that. Thats a great looking trailer, and mack!!! Nice ride!

Tom

I need a trailer like that to haul more U models home. I need it to haul other old Macks home too.

Trust me! I love it! I already out fit it with a bunch of LEDS!!! Ill grab a pic tomorrow when i install my king pin hitch.

Tom

i guess theres a box shortage....

Tom

In Missouri, if you run with a kingpin in any trailer, you can license it with permanent plates, which is a big savings in time, trouble, and expense - you can only get plates you have to renew on one with a gooseneck ball.

In Missouri, if you run with a kingpin in any trailer, you can license it with permanent plates, which is a big savings in time, trouble, and expense - you can only get plates you have to renew on one with a gooseneck ball.

This is true but the truck or pulling unit needs to be licensed heavy to include trailer and cargo weight as you are now running a combination vehicle and the trailer is a semi trailer. I've seen this tried with an 8000# pick up truck license plate, and a permanent mount plate on the trailer, and it's expensive when you get caught hauling most anything.

Rob