Mack B Model on a Gooseneck

tkobes43

Friend got popped getting of PA turnpike, lucky it was only his boys 28ft tag trailer(not his 44ft gn), as his truck only has Non comm plates. Don't know the damages, but surely was not cheap. I too ran that way when I had my dually, but was lucky all the way to Florida and back(and everywhere else I ran for 4 yrs). Getting harder to get away with stuff like that.

I got questioned once at scales about my GVW. My B model is titled for 33K and I'm under that, so I got a smile and told to have a nice day.

I got one of those adapters for my trailer too. Much easier to hook up to then a gooseneck ball.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Friend got popped getting of PA turnpike, lucky it was only his boys 28ft tag trailer(not his 44ft gn), as his truck only has Non comm plates. Don't know the damages, but surely was not cheap. I too ran that way when I had my dually, but was lucky all the way to Florida and back(and everywhere else I ran for 4 yrs). Getting harder to get away with stuff like that.

I got questioned once at scales about my GVW. My B model is titled for 33K and I'm under that, so I got a smile and told to have a nice day.

I got one of those adapters for my trailer too. Much easier to hook up to then a gooseneck ball.

I got stopped once passing a scale pulling my "Project R-12" R795S home on a borrowed gooseneck trailer. Neither the truck, nor trailer was licensed heavy enough for the weight of the truck on the deck, (it is heavy). Had the officer not been familiar with me [personally, (through wrecker calls)and everything belonging to me, of no commercial use, I would have been a very poor man at the time. I was cautioned, and let go after promising to not do it again. Being a man of my word with the highest integity factor obtainable, I haven't been stopped again.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ummm, you haven't "Been caught' again..................... :whistling:

SHHHHHH!

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

This is true but the truck or pulling unit needs to be licensed heavy to include trailer and cargo weight as you are now running a combination vehicle and the trailer is a semi trailer. I've seen this tried with an 8000# pick up truck license plate, and a permanent mount plate on the trailer, and it's expensive when you get caught hauling most anything.

Rob

That is correct - I never think about having a plate even on a pickup that is less than 26,000 pounds, I always license everything as heavy as I can, it is a lot cheaper than the tickets.

Even the little Jay-pan truck gets a 26,000 pound plate: post-6658-0-35299300-1335973142_thumb.jp

Which is also nice for pulling a trailer legal and also when I do stuff like hauling three concrete blocks for a silage pit that weigh 2800 pounds each:

post-6658-0-26718900-1335973188_thumb.jp

The first load I hauled two to try it out. Which was not too much weight, so this load got three. That makes five down and 195 to go - I really wanted to try putting four blocks on, but the loader operator started to whine about it.

I kept my single axle rollback trucks at 26,000, or 32,000 to stay legal and at times was much heavier than that, but never had any problems. I've always kep "Crusty" at 8,000 but the trailers have always been licensed appropriately for their cargo weights.

Rob

I kept my single axle rollback trucks at 26,000, or 32,000 to stay legal and at times was much heavier than that, but never had any problems. I've always kep "Crusty" at 8,000 but the trailers have always been licensed appropriately for their cargo weights.

Rob

So in Illinois you have different trailer weight license plates to choose from? In Misery Missoura Missouri the truck just has to have a plate heavy enough to handle the truck plus whatever you are pulling. Which is nice as you then don't have to worry if you have too much weight on the truck but not on the trailer and vice versa.

So in Illinois you have different trailer weight license plates to choose from? In Misery Missoura Missouri the truck just has to have a plate heavy enough to handle the truck plus whatever you are pulling. Which is nice as you then don't have to worry if you have too much weight on the truck but not on the trailer and vice versa.

Depends. If you license a trailer as a trailer then you plate for the weight you want carried on the trailer and cargo, and plate the truck likewise. If you plate the trailer as a semi trailer, (permanent plate) you have to plate the truck heavy enough for the truck, trailer, and cargo. Typically if you have several different trailers and use the same truck to pull them, it is less expensive to license as a tractor pulling unit as opposed to licensing each trailer independently. If you pull the same trailer, or two, it is typically less expensive to license as a truck and trailer separate. Of course this varies with the amount of weight you are licensing to on anything. Someplace there is a breakover or even point as to efficiency or cost of operation.

You can check on the rates at www.cyberdriveillinois.com here.

Rob

Sorry to inter up your party here fellas, but i got some pictures!!!

Starting to cut!

IMG00473-20120502-1350.jpg

Cutting

IMG00472-20120502-1350.jpg

Side Pic

IMG00474-20120502-1350.jpg

Starting to cut the old welds...

IMG00475-20120502-1350.jpg

New hitch finally in!!!

IMG00476-20120502-1456.jpg

Hooked up for the first time!

IMG00477-20120502-1523.jpg

Side

IMG00478-20120502-1547.jpg

Front

IMG00479-20120502-1548.jpg

Everything took about 3 hours total by myself. I used a DeWalt Grinder w/ cutting wheel, hammer, and a few misc tools!

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Looks good! I hope you did not get any flying debris on that fine looking truck in the background.

The trees make a nice backdrop for your photos - you get extra points for that!

I used to pull a 40 foot gooseneck like that one with a kingpin behind a 8100 IHC tractor, the COOL factor was not near as high on mine, nor the comfort level either. I bet you will like that setup.

Looks good! I hope you did not get any flying debris on that fine looking truck in the background.

The trees make a nice backdrop for your photos - you get extra points for that!

I used to pull a 40 foot gooseneck like that one with a kingpin behind a 8100 IHC tractor, the COOL factor was not near as high on mine, nor the comfort level either. I bet you will like that setup.

Thanks Olive! I appreciate it. I hope i will like it too! Tomorrow i will know for sure when i take them both out for a spin, i got stuck today trying to yank the trailer out of its hole. And plus it rained today so everything was mud!!! Oh well, it gives me a good excuse tomorrow so i can was my trucks! lol.

Tom

looks great nice rig!! just curious why did you go with a gooseneck instead of say a 20 ton tag of a smaller drop deck trailer

$$$$ got this trailer for a great deal. Couldn't pass it up! I really wanted a drop deck, but didn't have the funds to support it. Let alone buy it...

Tom

Truck is 12,500 and the trailer GVW is 16,500, so it's close. They are 17.5 inch lowboy style tires and the brakes are larger as well.

The truck pulls it remarkably well and the combination of the exhaust brake and Allison tranny makes it one of the easiest trailers I have ever towed to stop.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

That is correct - I never think about having a plate even on a pickup that is less than 26,000 pounds, I always license everything as heavy as I can, it is a lot cheaper than the tickets.

Even the little Jay-pan truck gets a 26,000 pound plate: post-6658-0-35299300-1335973142_thumb.jp

Which is also nice for pulling a trailer legal and also when I do stuff like hauling three concrete blocks for a silage pit that weigh 2800 pounds each:

post-6658-0-26718900-1335973188_thumb.jp

The first load I hauled two to try it out. Which was not too much weight, so this load got three. That makes five down and 195 to go - I really wanted to try putting four blocks on, but the loader operator started to whine about it.

Is that a randomly issued plate, or did you special request it?..just wondering.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Is that a randomly issued plate, or did you special request it?..just wondering.

They only give those to black tie campaign donors.

They must have screwed up with their database - I only give to the church and the NRA - the two things I rely on to help protect me from evil.

• Like 1