Does anyone know about an E9

rsb502

I am just amazed lately how few people know anything about Mack V8 engines, or anything really. I was looking for some E9 parts online and just searched mack v8 then e9 I was astounded at what I found. I pulled up forum after forum and blog after blog talking about mack v8's and the E9 and I have discovered NOBODY knows what the heck they are talking about anymore. I came across one that said the E9 was the big v8 and the E7 was the smaller v8= WRONG. I found one that said the Mack E9 v8 was not a good running engine and that any Cat 3406 could outpull them on a hill and that they were really a gas engine converted to diesel = WRONG. I found one that said the Mack V8 was an ok engine if you were going to run light but any heavy hauls and they fell on their face and you would be better off with a CAT ACERT = REALLY WRONG. I even ran across one that had compared the E9 to the 3208 CAT, yes I said 32-08 not 34-08 I just dont know where these guys get their facts. I had an 84 Superliner with a 440 E9 and it was a beast it would pull anything I could pass any truck I wanted on a hill and pulling a dump trailer guess what I was grossed out all the time, I even got 6.6 mpg it was awesome. I know that any engine has its faults and E9's had head / head gasket issues but guess what, torque the head bolts when you run the overhead (like I was told to by MACK0 and they work fine. I am realizing that you have to take everything with a grain or 5 of salt most people just will not do the required maintenace to a truck let alone an old v8 to keep it in top shape then say its trash when something breaks. I then had another DUH-HUH encounter at Mack of Nashville, I went in to order a new Gold dog and base for a friends truck and was looking at the bulldog magazine it had an article about the new Titan with the MP10. I was told by the new and probably 19 year old parts guy that the MP10 was the baddest engine Mack had ever made, I said hold on there haus I think the E9 has the rights to that sewed up for a few years to which he said no way that makes 605hp. I could see where this was going and asked if he had ever driven a truck, answer = "well no!" Oh well do you know the difference in the way a large mechanical engine runs versus a new electronic emissions engine? "Well the new ones make more horsepower!" I wasnt going to win so I just asked basic Mack questions like, what do you have to have to get a gold Bulldog? and guess what the Mack Parts guy told me. and I quote "the gold bulldog is just an order option for the trucks so it stands out on the chrome grille it doesnt really mean anything" WHAT????? I almost lost it surely someone in the dealership could teach this twerp about what he is selling so he doesnt annoy anyone that actually knows what the heck they are talking about when they come in! I guess I am just ranting but I had to share, I just think BMT.com might be the only place I have found someone that knows anything about a real Mack truck I get so tired of the 18 year old idiots that start these darn threads about things they know nothing about then spread bad info. I for one am glad BMT exists and I know that some of the greatest minds on the subject of Mack trucks are here to help if anyone needs GOOD info, and I want to thank all the members that help others with issues regarding something their local parts guy probably knows nothing about anymore. Ryan B.

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

LOL!!

My last encounter with a parts guy at the local Mack dealer was for a set of oil filters for my '97 CH613 E7 427. Pretty basic request right? WRONG!! I was cheerfully informed by the 20 something dork, (I'm only 30 myself) that it would be impossible to find me the filters without my VIN #. To which I replied "look, aren't all mid 90's E7's gonna use the same filters?" To which I was clued in to the fact that "E7's could be different displacements based on their HP numbers". Really?!?! Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of calling them all E7's?? Luckily a more experienced parts boy noticed the homicidal glint in my eye and interrupted with the correct answer and the filter part numbers before I jumped over the counter and did the human race a favor by eliminating this twit from the gene puddle. It still took him four trips to the filter shelf to get it right, 'cause he kept forgetting the numbers!!

It's all who you get though: when phoning around for a price on the rubber connectors for the intercooler plumbing I got some Paki fuck who refused to quote a price without the VIN #. When I called back I got someone that could speak english and he said "hold on, I'll look at my shelf to make sure we've got them, the computer says we do, but let me check." WITHOUT having to go into all kinds of explanations of what I wanted and why I wanted it. There's still some good people out there, but they are getting fewer and fewer between the dumbasses.

Later,

Marc

...what do you have to have to get a gold Bulldog? and guess what the Mack Parts guy told me. and I quote "the gold bulldog is just an order option for the trucks so it stands out on the chrome grille it doesnt really mean anything"....

Damn...even "The Trucker" newspaper writer knows what the Gold Bulldog means...

http://www.thetrucker.com/News/Stories/2012/3/23/Mackaddstointegratedproductportfolio.aspx

Integrated powertrains have been at the heart of Mack since its inception in 1900, according to John Walsh, vice president of marketing.

Today, every truck with a Mack Pedigree Powertrain – proprietary engine, transmission and axles – features a gold Bulldog on the hood.

You'd think someone working at a Mack dealership would know that too.... :blush:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

LOL!!

My last encounter with a parts guy at the local Mack dealer was for a set of oil filters for my '97 CH613 E7 427. Pretty basic request right? WRONG!! I was cheerfully informed by the 20 something dork, (I'm only 30 myself) that it would be impossible to find me the filters without my VIN #. To which I replied "look, aren't all mid 90's E7's gonna use the same filters?" To which I was clued in to the fact that "E7's could be different displacements based on their HP numbers". Really?!?! Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of calling them all E7's?? Luckily a more experienced parts boy noticed the homicidal glint in my eye and interrupted with the correct answer and the filter part numbers before I jumped over the counter and did the human race a favor by eliminating this twit from the gene puddle. It still took him four trips to the filter shelf to get it right, 'cause he kept forgetting the numbers!!

It's all who you get though: when phoning around for a price on the rubber connectors for the intercooler plumbing I got some Paki fuck who refused to quote a price without the VIN #. When I called back I got someone that could speak english and he said "hold on, I'll look at my shelf to make sure we've got them, the computer says we do, but let me check." WITHOUT having to go into all kinds of explanations of what I wanted and why I wanted it. There's still some good people out there, but they are getting fewer and fewer between the dumbasses.

Later,

Marc

That's why I hate Advance auto parts- you-or "they" I should say- can't find anything without a VIN no. they can look up on their computer, even a generic part like a sealed beam headlight or a

wheel stud.

And there's nothing like a V8 Mack. Pullingest trucks i've ever seen. The old V8 325 would hang right with a 400 Cummins, turn a little fuel to 'em or put a 375 pump and turbo on it and it was no contest.

I've told this story before, but i'll tell it again. Back around 1979-80, we hauled wood chips from Dillwyn, Va. to Covington. Al Moore had an F-model with a V8 325 with the fuel turned way up. We had company trucks, I was driving an IH with a VT903, the rest were 290 or 350 Cummins. If a bunch of us were running together, Al would pull off on the ramp at exit 50 on I-64, right at the bottom of North Mountain and wait for the rest of us to pass by and then pull off from a dead stop and pass every one of us before we got to the top. True story.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

That's why I hate Advance auto parts- you-or "they" I should say- can't find anything without a VIN no. they can look up on their computer, even a generic part like a sealed beam headlight or a

wheel stud.

And there's nothing like a V8 Mack. Pullingest trucks i've ever seen. The old V8 325 would hang right with a 400 Cummins, turn a little fuel to 'em or put a 375 pump and turbo on it and it was no contest.

I've told this story before, but i'll tell it again. Back around 1979-80, we hauled wood chips from Dillwyn, Va. to Covington. Al Moore had an F-model with a V8 325 with the fuel turned way up. We had company trucks, I was driving an IH with a VT903, the rest were 290 or 350 Cummins. If a bunch of us were running together, Al would pull off on the ramp at exit 50 on I-64, right at the bottom of North Mountain and wait for the rest of us to pass by and then pull off from a dead stop and pass every one of us before we got to the top. True story.

My dad had a 83 Superliner with a E9 440. He was going west on I 26 in Hendersonville, NC just leaving the scale house grossing 80k with a load of lumber. Two empty cabover IH's pulling flatbeds took the bypass lane and tried to pass Daddy while he was building his speed back up. Needless to say they couldn't get it done and had to fall back in line.

Im glad Im not the only one that has IDIOTS aggrevate them when buying parts, I have heard the I have to have your VIN thing too and I always reply I will give you the p/n or the engine s/n but thats it look in the book. I love the look in their eyes when you say book, I guess they have forgotten what those are nowdays and I know they have them right in the back behind the counter. I loved my 84 superdog with the E9 440hp I know it made more than 440 (probably alot more) but it was the strongest truck I have ever driven and that is counting several E7's and N-14 cummins trucks, even a turned up N-14 525 and that thing was pretty peppy. I am looking hard at buying another superdog or maybe my old one back and "when" I get another one it will have to have an E9 its the only way to go for a hp junkie like me.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I've been approached by more people in the last year than I ever have wanting to buy my Superliner E9. I just tell them no because there is nothing out there today that will replace it or even come close to it. There next question is where can I get one. I just wish they had showed intrest in E9's when they were in production, maybe we could still get one today. The funny thing is most of these guys are driving Cat powered Pete's and KW's.

• Like 1

I can understand the lack of E9 knowledge, it has been out of production for over a decade here in the US. Plus generally people on forums talk out of their ass as everyone is a genuine know-it-all, though there are sites that are an exception. The VIN number required for everything is just to cover the asses of the parts vendors. Most of us on this site have a clue about Mack trucks. But there are many who don't even though they run them. So those clueless users would stroll in and think they know what they are asking for, ask and receive the wrong part, find out its the wrong part and then try to return it. Said returned part might have scratches or damage from the attempted installation or mis-handling. So the VIN is a guaranteed way to ensure the clueless user gets what he/she needs. Also prevents screw up behind the counter as well.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I can understand the lack of E9 knowledge, it has been out of production for over a decade here in the US. Plus generally people on forums talk out of their ass as everyone is a genuine know-it-all, though there are sites that are an exception. The VIN number required for everything is just to cover the asses of the parts vendors. Most of us on this site have a clue about Mack trucks. But there are many who don't even though they run them. So those clueless users would stroll in and think they know what they are asking for, ask and receive the wrong part, find out its the wrong part and then try to return it. Said returned part might have scratches or damage from the attempted installation or mis-handling. So the VIN is a guaranteed way to ensure the clueless user gets what he/she needs. Also prevents screw up behind the counter as well.

I have even had issues with the VIN for parts, my 04 Granite had a completely different set of belts and pulleys from what the VIN showed I had to use the P/N to get them, I think it was due to the beginning of the ASET engine run in the middle of a model year, possibly around my build number.

The information on VIN'S is not always correct. I have an 1985 Freightliner with a 6V-92 from factory. The Freightliner Dealer looks up VIN for parts and insists it was built with a 855 Cummins. Thankfully I only use this truck to pull my old trucks around.I have several old trucks of various makes and honestly the International Dealer is best for getting parts. My local Mack Dealer was good at one time but changed hands and everything changed.As far as the reliability of the Mack E9 I have a friend that has one in Superliner Tri-Axle Dump that ran 23 years before being rebuilt. There are still a few in my area running and owners will not sell them. Joe D. PS They sound great also.

I AGEE THERES ALOT OF IDIOTS OUT THERE THAT HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT MACK E9 ENGINES OR ANY MACK TRUCK . WE ALWAYS TOOK CRAP FROM CAT GUYS UNTIL MY DAD BLEW THERE A****ES OFF WITH HIS SUPERLINER . I REMEMBER THE DAY WE PASSED 3 WESTERN STARS 2 WITH 425 CATS AND ONE WITH A 460 CUMMINS. I MEAN WE ROASTED THERE BEHINDS GOING UP WOODFORD MTN IN SOUTHERN VERMONT. THE OWNER OF THE WESTERN STARS ORDERED A NEW STAR THE NEXT WEEK WITH A 600 CAT . LOL... ANOTHER GUY BOUGHT A STAR WITH A 550 CAT AFTER WE PASSED HIS TURNED UP 425 WITH OUR MACK V8. WE LET THE PERFORMANCE DO THE TALKING . WE ALSO PASSED A 500 CAT WITH OUR 460XT SEVERAL TIMES. THE GUY WASNT TO HAPPY LOL

I always got a laugh when I went to the local Trans*dge Mack (old pittsburgh Mack) and they asked for a vin number for a bmodel.I would give them a serial number and they'd give me a look like I just shot their dog lol Then I'd give them the part number for what I'm looking for and get another look. Granted I wouldn't expect these "Advanced Auto" parts guys who work at a Mack dealer to know something that's not in their computer but commons sense would tell you to look in the BOOKs. Thats why it's always better for me to deal with the only local Mack dealer who knows more than what's in the computer system for anything older than 2000. Watts Mack. Barry,Tracy, and Tom are the last of a dying breed that knows what BOOKS are lol

I AGEE THERES ALOT OF IDIOTS OUT THERE THAT HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT MACK E9 ENGINES OR ANY MACK TRUCK . WE ALWAYS TOOK CRAP FROM CAT GUYS UNTIL MY DAD BLEW THERE A****ES OFF WITH HIS SUPERLINER . I REMEMBER THE DAY WE PASSED 3 WESTERN STARS 2 WITH 425 CATS AND ONE WITH A 460 CUMMINS. I MEAN WE ROASTED THERE BEHINDS GOING UP WOODFORD MTN IN SOUTHERN VERMONT. THE OWNER OF THE WESTERN STARS ORDERED A NEW STAR THE NEXT WEEK WITH A 600 CAT . LOL... ANOTHER GUY BOUGHT A STAR WITH A 550 CAT AFTER WE PASSED HIS TURNED UP 425 WITH OUR MACK V8. WE LET THE PERFORMANCE DO THE TALKING . WE ALSO PASSED A 500 CAT WITH OUR 460XT SEVERAL TIMES. THE GUY WASNT TO HAPPY LOL

Logtruckman I had a simmilar experience around here.. I used to pull lumber out of South Carolina up to east Tennessee and then reload with brick or cinder blocks and come back. There was a guy with a Western Star with a 475 Cat and 13 spd that made the same run. After I blistered him a few times on Sam's Gap (the mountain on I26 at the NC/TN line) he traded for a Lowmax Western Star with a 550 Cat and 18 spd. I smoked that one as well and he finally quit trying.
  • Like 1

Logtruckman I had a simmilar experience around here.. I used to pull lumber out of South Carolina up to east Tennessee and then reload with brick or cinder blocks and come back. There was a guy with a Western Star with a 475 Cat and 13 spd that made the same run. After I blistered him a few times on Sam's Gap (the mountain on I26 at the NC/TN line) he traded for a Lowmax Western Star with a 550 Cat and 18 spd. I smoked that one as well and he finally quit trying.

I had a time trying to explain to a friend he was wasting his time trying to outpull my E9 on hills. He bought a new pete with a 475 high torque cat that didnt work, then he took it to 550, that didnt work then he bought a 625 ecm for it and I sold the truck but I doubt it would have done it either. I had my 04 Granite 427 turned up so much I could outpull his older 475/550 cat all day long he hated it, just shows you what a 460xt program can do.

• Like 1

I wish I never sold my '89 MH with an E9500 and a "crash box" 12speed. even with camel back rears that truck rode and pulled like nothing I have driven since.

Its working in some forest in Guatemala somewhere. Some south American is laughing his ass off at me right now, pullin loads and making money.

At least I found a couple of MH"s with E9's up here to restore. The Guy says he will sell them to me within the year. Sweeeeet!