COE CornBinder With 8V92

HeavyGunner

Saw this today when I was out and about and took a pic, then visited with the owner a little bit about the truck. Owner says 8V92 with a Brownie, I just thought it was a classy looking old COE.

post-8681-0-54866200-1332998010_thumb.jp

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

My favorite classics are the cabovers of the 60's and 70's. I think this would have been repowered as this model Transtar (4070A) was replaced in 1975 by the Transtar II (4070B). IIRC the 92 series Detroits were not available until '75 or '76.

I also remember the 4070A's being raised a few inches to accomodate the 8V71's and the 903 Cummins. This looks like the standard height but with dual exhaust which was standard with the 8V71.

Now that I've totally confused myself, allow me to conclude with: Nice find, thanks for sharing. :twothumbsup:

Jim

He better get a tanker endorsement - I see those evil TOTES in the background

What is he hauling? Those look like corner post cross members, I thought only in Missouri did you do that kind of thing

Under the new rule, you would be in violation for discussing them on the internet without a Tanker endorsement.

Jim

GD-It very well could be an 8v71, I asked the owner if it had a Jimmy in it and he said yes and then I asked if it was a 8V92 and he said yes so who knows? Not me.

Olive-the owner was telling me that he wanted to buy a flatbed or drop deck for that truck to put a couple of water tanks on it for his sprayer. He said (with a straight face) that you know, those rail road ties really arent the way that should be set up! :loldude:

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

I forgot to mention that there are a ton of oil drilling rigs still around here runnin' jimmy's. I love the sound, I want a 3 or 4-53 to put in my short box 79 dodge 4x4.

GD-It very well could be an 8v71, I asked the owner if it had a Jimmy in it and he said yes and then I asked if it was a 8V92 and he said yes so who knows? Not me.

Olive-the owner was telling me that he wanted to buy a flatbed or drop deck for that truck to put a couple of water tanks on it for his sprayer. He said (with a straight face) that you know, those rail road ties really arent the way that should be set up! :loldude:

I couldn't find the spec sheet that mentioned the cab being raised 5" but it's possible that was only required for the 903 Cummins. I do remember that dual 5" stacks were standard with the 8V71.

Who'da thunk those tote platforms weren't kosher. :idunno:

Jim

Here's a 1974 Transtar I drove with a VT903 in it. I was at the old Ponderosa Truckstop in Clifton Forge here, either on the way to Covington with a load of chips or on the way back to the woodyard in Dillwyn. Looks like I was loaded, I see chips in the vent holes. Taken in 1979.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Me too. Good year!

Bought my first legal alcoholic drink in 1979 and it's been downhill ever since.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I think the cab was raised on the 4070 to accomadate the aftercooler on 855 Cummins and turboes on the 8V-71. There was a raised cab IH with a factory 12V-71 at Macungie a few years ago I think it was a 5070 not sure owned by Tackaberry from Canada. It wasnice like all his trucks.Joe D.

i was not even thought of in 1979......... :whistling:

Sure you was if only a spot on the sheets.

Uncle Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Here's a 1974 Transtar I drove with a VT903 in it. I was at the old Ponderosa Truckstop in Clifton Forge here, either on the way to Covington with a load of chips or on the way back to the woodyard in Dillwyn. Looks like I was loaded, I see chips in the vent holes. Taken in 1979.

My dad had a CO-4000 with a 9-0-nuthin' in it too,we both ran from South Jersey to Binghampton,NY 5/6 nights a week,and once i passed him (he was empty) coming home, i was loaded, with my grandfathers R-model,he was furious! "last time i'll get passed by my own son in any g**damn Mack"!!!!!! it was just a few weeks later,when he traded the Transtar in on a new White Freightliner with a 1693 CAT,never got passed again (not by me anyway)..........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Here are the photos of the two aforementioned trucks,Pop hated the Transtar! underpowered POS he used to call it,but he always said the 1693 CAT in the Freightliner was prolly the best motor he ever ran,he started with NAVL shortly after this picture was taken,and stayed leased to them almost 30 years............................Mark

post-5836-0-84967800-1333315313_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-92793900-1333315326_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I think the cab was raised on the 4070 to accomadate the aftercooler on 855 Cummins and turboes on the 8V-71. There was a raised cab IH with a factory 12V-71 at Macungie a few years ago I think it was a 5070 not sure owned by Tackaberry from Canada. It wasnice like all his trucks.Joe D.

This spec sheet shows which engines had the raised cab and dual exhaust standard. I guess the aftercooler would explain why a 350 Cummins needed the clearance that other turbo 855's did not. I didn't know about the turbo'd Detroits being raised.

They seemed to adress the issue with the 4070B's as they all sat high.

I've seen the V-12's and I think you're right about the 5070 designation. It also had a factory nickname like "Turnpike Cruiser" or something.

4070spec03.jpg

Jim

Here are the photos of the two aforementioned trucks,Pop hated the Transtar! underpowered POS he used to call it,but he always said the 1693 CAT in the Freightliner was prolly the best motor he ever ran,he started with NAVL shortly after this picture was taken,and stayed leased to them almost 30 years............................Mark

Nice shots of a couple of 70's icons.

Jim

Interesting that the IH has tubeless wheels and the WF tube type,your Dad must not have fixed his own tires.

Green Dash That is the name "Turnpike Cruiser" Thanks Joe D.

And thank You. I think Ford had an optional equipment package in the 50's by that name so I wasn't sure. You were close on the model number, just increased the wrong digit, it's a 4090A

Here is a pic from Gary Morton's collection on Hank's. I think IH did a great job of inconspicuously modifying the fenders to allow for the larger radiator.

file004.jpg

Jim