Middle boy got a promotion

Olivetroad

Boy #2 moved up to head cattle checker today, he turns 11 next month.

His older brother moved up to helping me in the shop two days a week - The blushing bride gave the okay to teach him to weld and run a torch.

Matthew was proud as punch today on his hand-me-down chore tractor, I better stop him from checking the cattle more than twice a day, he will run the tires off the thing and we won't have any grass left. I

sn't this what I am supposed to do with the kids? Teach them how to contribute to things around here? I have been reading where Washington wants to not allow anyone younger than 16 to drive a tractor - you just come on over and try to give me a ticket.

post-6658-0-14892800-1332904716_thumb.jp

post-6658-0-32076600-1332904751_thumb.jp

Please mom - don't shit on my head!

post-6658-0-47521400-1332904729_thumb.jp

Sounds like Washington.When my brother & I were too young to drive,we drove Grandpa's H Farmall everywhere.We'd bale hay and do odd jobs for neighbors whenever we had all our own work done,we put alot of miles on that tractor,then Grandpa bought a 8n Ford so we both had something to drive.

This is how you raise a man.

Washington needs to stay out of people's business. No one knows better than a parent what their child is capable or incapable of at a certain age.

Congratulations #2, hope you know how lucky you are.

You got that right. At 11, I was allowed to use the riding mower and thought I was King $h!t.

Jim

Glad to see that promotions start early. Gives the kids a sense of accomplishment and self worth. Goofing looking cross breed you got there Olive, is she Angus - Herford cross?

Close! Brangus X Shorthorn mother and a Angus daddy. That is the only one I have that looks that way - she is one of my favorites, we call her Holstein. About half her calves are blue roans - we keep every one of her heifers.

Congratulations with the promotion, I am with you, anything a parent can do to instill respect, responsibility, self reliance, work ethic and "can do" attitude will make a child very successful.

Edited by thomastractorsvc

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Ha, wouldn't want Olive to come to Vt. and kick my butt! Olive, did you know Blue Roans are one of the oldest breeds? Been around since the time of Christ.

No, I did not know that they had been around as long as those Jerusalem cedars!

We have always gotten a lot of them from mixing shorthorns and black bulls. The buyers go crazy over them at the sale barn. I try and bunch up 20 or more of them and they will flat top the sale every time. I have never sold a blue roan heifer - they get to die on the place. I don't really know why I even like them so well, let alone why the next dude does. But they always seem to be good solid, quiet cows that give a lot of milk.

I remember asking my grandfather why he liked them so well, and he said "They just have a good eye about them". I now know what he means, but I can't explain it!

After I took those photos yesterday, I looked up in the records and that cows great grandmother is the oldest cow in the herd by far - she was born when I was a senior in high school in 1988! She is thin and ancient looking, and can't keep up with the rest of the herd running in the winter to the feed truck but she has had a calf every year since. I always save her the last 1/4 of a bag of cubes and take it to her.

A friend of mine owns a hotel in Bar Harbor, he's up in years, he mows all the lawns, does laundry, cleans rooms,takes care of customers, does repairs, I asked him one day when he was on his riding mower and his son was in the house, why don't you let your son cut the grass or weed wack, he said if the goverment caught his son using any kind of power tool he would pay a huge fine.

Those two boys will be leaps and bounds ahead of 99% of the kids in this country. Good for them.

Congrats on the up grade for both.

"blushing bride"? or just so mad at you she gets red in the face?

When you are lucky enough to be married to such a high caliber of lover, wooer, sweetie, and protector like me, every day feels like your wedding day.......................

Doesn't that make you blush?

• Like 1

Congrats on the upgrade! i am glad to see children raised with a sense of responsibility,and shown the way to contribute,and learn a work ethic from an early age! unlike SOME of todays "MTV" generation who want to sit on their ass all day,watch TV,play video games,eat,and bitch about what they dont have,or how much better off the neighbor kids have it! I was already spotting trailers with my grandads R-model by the time i was 11,drove farm tractors earlier than that..................my hats off to you,i wish more kids had the benefit of a farm raising today!..................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Your kids are lucky. I'm pretty lucky too, There's nothing I like more than working with my dad. As a matter of fact, I'll be going tomarrow to help with a big commercial flooring job.

Ben

Oh, you get to load the truck, unload the truck, set up the tools, run for the water cooler, perform the "get this, get that boy" routine. Yeah, sounds like an interesting day to me. LOL.

Good way to learn both a skilled trade and some filthy jokes working with family.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Oh, you get to load the truck, unload the truck, set up the tools, run for the water cooler, perform the "get this, get that boy" routine. Yeah, sounds like an interesting day to me. LOL.

Good way to learn both a skilled trade and some filthy jokes working with family.

Rob

Good way to learn drinking Dad's beer too. Piels or Nickerbocker, Dads favorite. The corner stone to any nutritious breakfast!

Good way to learn drinking Dad's beer too. Piels or Nickerbocker, Dads favorite. The corner stone to any nutritious breakfast!

Wasn't Piels around 99 cents for a 6-pack in tne early 70's? My Uncle used to drink that and switched to the PathMark "no name" brand or whatever they called it. Just a plain white can with "BEER" in bold black letters. He always knew the most cost efficient way to a buzz.

Jim

Congrats on the upgrade! i am glad to see children raised with a sense of responsibility,and shown the way to contribute,and learn a work ethic from an early age! unlike SOME of todays "MTV" generation who want to sit on their ass all day,watch TV,play video games,eat,and bitch about what they dont have,or how much better off the neighbor kids have it! I was already spotting trailers with my grandads R-model by the time i was 11,drove farm tractors earlier than that..................my hats off to you,i wish more kids had the benefit of a farm raising today!..................................Mark

My 2 brothers and I would have been fighting to see who got to drive that tractor! We started on a Farmall Super C, never had a cab on anything, but we did work our way up to a 5000 Ford eventually.

My younger brother sold these two tractors about 6 or 7 years ago and got a John Deere with a cab on it. They're an 856 IH and a 2-85 White. We had just loaded them up to take to an auction.

Nice W900L there too,eh? I drove that before the Pete, and before the days of the big horsepower were over. N14/525,13 spd, 3.70's...just sayin'.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

My 2 brothers and I would have been fighting to see who got to drive that tractor! We started on a Farmall Super C, never had a cab on anything, but we did work our way up to a 5000 Ford eventually.

The only way I got permission from the blushing bride to spend the fundage on a new cab tractor was by driving up and down the driveway whenever she was out taking a walk, with a passel of kiddos hangin/sitting/standing on the fenders of a WD Allis Chalmers. A few times viewing that and she agreed that for safety reasons, a cab would be better!

Not that I really wanted a new one or anything.

So now there is a hierarchy around here - First they get to drive the skid loader - you are buckled in, and it has a safety bar for further protection, and if you get up off the seat, everything locks in place. First job is always moving haybales around in the field behind the baler - bunching them up into two rows of six to pull the bale wagon between them.

Second is my version of a crusty,rusty,trusty dodge farm truck. This is how you learn to drive a stick - out in the middle of the hay field where you can't hit anything that matters. Then you start hauling wood to the furnace in the winter - truck in gear, turn off engine, put on parking brake, no one gets out until key is removed from ignition and put into pocket.

Then you move to the cab tractor - it has a forward & reverse shuttle on the column so you don't even have to use the clutch at first. Bucket/bale spear on ground, PTO off, tractor in neutral, parking brake on, engine off, key out of ignition and in pocket, listen to double check that nothing is still spinning at the PTO before you get out of cab.

Then you go up to the other tractors, no cab, no nothing but always be carefull.

• Like 1

Wasn't Piels around 99 cents for a 6-pack in tne early 70's? My Uncle used to drink that and switched to the PathMark "no name" brand or whatever they called it. Just a plain white can with "BEER" in bold black letters. He always knew the most cost efficient way to a buzz.

Yup, cheap beer the old man would drink till he fell asleep every weekend. He had a spiecal fridge that had the Bud man on it. Cheap buzz for the old boy.

Yup, cheap beer the old man would drink till he fell asleep every weekend. He had a spiecal fridge that had the Bud man on it. Cheap buzz for the old boy.

"No Frills" was the name of PathMark's cheap brand. My uncle would come home and drink 3-4 beers after work during the week and "as much as it took" on the weekends. It seemed normal back then but today that would result in an intervention.

Jim

"No Frills" was the name of PathMark's cheap brand. My uncle would come home and drink 3-4 beers after work during the week and "as much as it took" on the weekends. It seemed normal back then but today that would result in an intervention.

Ballantine used to be real cheap around here in the 70's. We'd occasionally make a run to Bob's Supermarket in Farmville to stock up on it when it was on sale. I think it was $1.99 a six pack.

You couldn't buy beer on Sunday then but if you knew a bootlegger- I knew several- you could buy it for 50 cents a can, and they usually sold whatever was cheapest. You could get a pint of whiskey for $4, usually Canada Dry or Bourbon Supreme.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.