Macks that I've driven

Here's a collection of Macks that have been assigned to me as a company driver, taken between 2004 and 2008.

Clickable Thumbnails.

#1. Shusters Building Components #213. 1984 R685T, EM6-250, 5 speed.

th_213-2.jpg

th_213-1.jpg

th_213-3.jpg

th_213cab.jpg

I miss this view...

th_213hood.jpg

213 was retired to the "back lot" when anti-freeze was found in the oil, but was later repaired and started a new life in a new configuration.

th_100_0064.jpg

#2. #212. 1981 R685T. Same engine and tranny but pulled noticeably better and would run a little faster. This was my favorite because of that and it also had the padded door panels which added a touch of class. It also had the bumper that stuck out a bit with the grill guard. Just an all around cool looking truck.

th_212.gifth_212wvrestarea.jpg

th_Picture1.jpg

th_Picture2.jpg

th_Picture3.jpg

I don't have pictures of #224 which was a 1989 R690T with the EM6-250L ( I think it was an L for low RPM, possibly an R for reduced RPM). This was between 213 and 212. I moved into 212 because it was in better shape ( newer galvanized cab) and pulled better. I found out later that the reduced RPM motors could be lugged a little lower that the standard motors and I was probably downshifting too soon. :rolleyes:

Taking a quantum leap into the future, my next move was into #227, a 1991 CH612. This one was equipped with the EM6 or EM7-275 and T2050 trans with a 4.64 rear axle. Unbelievable amount of pulling power and more speed than necessary. :whistling:

th_227L.jpgth_227keystone.jpgth_sbc227int-1.jpg

In this photo taken in 2007, it's hooked to a 1969 Fruehauf 40 foot van that was still an active part of the fleet.

th_100_0437-1.jpg

During my last week at Shuster's, 227 blew a turbo and my last trip was a 2 day run in #221, an '89 R690T with the 275 and 5 speed setup and a RestRite sleeper. Also an excellent looking truck.

th_100_2101.jpg

th_100_2100.jpg

• Like 2

Jim

Thanks. I was the only driver there at the time that appreciated them for what they were even though I was just as deaf and sweaty as the next guy at the end of a summer's day behind the wheel. ;)

Good looking Macks Green Dash,You've led a lucky dogs life.

When I did my road test for the company it was in one of the R models and almost had to splash myself with cold water to snap out of the trance I was in. The view through the windshield was one that I hadn't seen since around 1973 with my Dad behind the wheel and me sitting on a milk crate on the shotgun side. i was having all kinds of flashbacks.

Jim

Great group of photos - is that company still around and what do they run now?

They have 1 '08 Pinnacle daycab, 1 '00 anniversary edition Vision with a 64" mid-roof sleeper, around 4 '00-'03 Visions with smaller flat roof sleepers, and maybe 7 '91-'93 single axle CH daycabs. #212 threw a rod and to the best of my knowledge was never fixed. I'm not sure about 221,224 or 207, which was a '78 R686T, the only ENDT676 in the fleet during my time. I left the company in Sept '08 but have stayed in touch with a few of the drivers. We're having breakfast this weekend so I'll be able to update my roster info.

Jim

I eat breakfast with some of my old coal mine cronies once a week, dam, theyre a scruffie looking aging lot! I tell em that too,,,randyp

That's why I keep these guys around. I've found secret to aging gracefully is to use plenty of moisturizer and surround yourself with ugly old men.

Jim

Great group of photos - is that company still around and what do they run now?

I forgot to answer the second part of the question-yes they are still in business. Here are a few more pics of the fleet from 2008.

The '08 Pinnacle

th_100_0940.jpg

The 100th Anniversary Edition Vision. This truck had only 73,000 miles on it when Shuster's bought it in '06.

th_237fueling.jpg

A few shots of the yard.

th_100_0053.jpg

th_100_0052.jpg

th_100_0051.jpg

Another shot of my truck before the aluminum tank was replaced.

th_1stdigitalpic.jpg

Edited by Green Dash

Jim

guess it was a differant shusters im thinking of freight trucks,,think they used to run all whites,,havent seen them in years,,but i moved outa the east coast 32 yrs ago,,,id forgot all about them,,till i saw your post...bob

Yeah, LTL company, possibly from CT. I grew up on Long Island and saw them quite a bit as a kid. I remember brown Ford Louisville's doing P&D work.

Jim

guess it was a differant shusters im thinking of freight trucks,,think they used to run all whites,,havent seen them in years,,but i moved outa the east coast 32 yrs ago,,,id forgot all about them,,till i saw your post...bob

Shusters from Colchester, Ct. Where I grew up. They had Whites with 903 cummins.

Nice catch.

Looks like he's had a steer tire issue as that rim should be aluminum. BTW, all of the CH's, which range in year from 91-'93, came from the factory with white paint and most with spoke wheels. The company color change in the mid 90's I think. The cabs on R models 207, 212, and 213 were replaced at that time with galvanized ones which is why they were still in such nice condition

The trailer is a mid 80's and possibly as old as '81. I can't tell from the pic if' it's #75 or #78 and don't remember which had the roll up door replaced with swings while I was there.

Jim