Catalytic Converters

other dog

Anybody know anything about catalytic converters? My Ford Ranger pickup sputtered a couple of times coming up the hill on the way back from Altavista today, then ran ok the rest of the way home. Jo went to start it a while ago and it started but was missing badly and would barely run. I started it and it would run when you gave it some gas but it cut off as soon as you let off it. I took the big hose off the intake and sprayed both sides of the throttle thingamabob with carburetor cleaner and drove it down the road, but it was still missing and running rough. I don't know what else to check, i'm thinking oxygen sensor?..catalytic converter? Can't tell anything anymore without plugging a computer into it. The check engine light is not on like it would be in a Peterbilt- maybe the bulb is burned out, I don't know. Anybody have any suggestions?

If not, I guess i'll have to call a rollback to take it to a garage Monday morning. I can't even get to work tomorrow, might have to wait until Monday...should have bought that F-150 from my brother for $2500.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Anybody know anything about catalytic converters? My Ford Ranger pickup sputtered a couple of times coming up the hill on the way back from Altavista today, then ran ok the rest of the way home. Jo went to start it a while ago and it started but was missing badly and would barely run. I started it and it would run when you gave it some gas but it cut off as soon as you let off it. I took the big hose off the intake and sprayed both sides of the throttle thingamabob with carburetor cleaner and drove it down the road, but it was still missing and running rough. I don't know what else to check, i'm thinking oxygen sensor?..catalytic converter? Can't tell anything anymore without plugging a computer into it. The check engine light is not on like it would be in a Peterbilt- maybe the bulb is burned out, I don't know. Anybody have any suggestions?

If not, I guess i'll have to call a rollback to take it to a garage Monday morning. I can't even get to work tomorrow, might have to wait until Monday...should have bought that F-150 from my brother for $2500.

Hi there other dog, Jimmy the mechanic called me back and said it sounds like a coil pack to him. Only problem is, ya gotta get it to an Advance Auto Parts or somewhere they can put tha' 'puter on it to tell which one is bad- if that's what it is. He said the symptoms described it to a "T" though.

Well, its happened, he has officically "morphed". Prolly be sprouting wings and migrating any day now. I better go to hardware store and stock up on "Other Dogs" spray. No telling how many of them he will be by end of week,,,Take Cover,,,INCOMING!!!!! randyp

It all flows together with the therapy he is going through right now for the Peterbilt withdrawl symptoms.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well, might could be, dont see his fuel can though, and he never leaves home without it,,,,sorta a good habit Rob taught him, along with several bad ones,,,,randyp

Taught him almost everything I know. Almost that is.

If'n you see him eatin boogers, I didn't teach him that. Musta been the gorilla cause she can be a nasty thing sometimes.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Taught him almost everything I know. Almost that is.

If'n you see him eatin boogers, I didn't teach him that. Musta been the gorilla cause she can be a nasty thing sometimes.

Rob

He only eats them because someone must have laughed at him doing it when he was a kid. .........We could not figure that one out. Hey that reminds me, several years ago leaving work going home I was in the left lane at a traffic light and looked over at the car beside me and saw this woman picking her nose and eating boogers. I thought only kids did that. Man I was totally grossed out. She was not caring who noticed.

mike

OK, so after going through the cadillac converters, multiple personalities, Peterbilt withdrawal, and eating boogers- Jimmy might be on to something.

I went out and took a look this morning and the coil pack does have a big old crack in it. Good place to start anyway, too bad i'm helpless in the driveway for the time being.

OK, so after going through the cadillac converters, multiple personalities, Peterbilt withdrawal, and eating boogers- Jimmy might be on to something.

I went out and took a look this morning and the coil pack does have a big old crack in it. Good place to start anyway, too bad i'm helpless in the driveway for the time being.

That, and the crank sensor are the two highest failure items on that engine.

Rob

Ifn its a big old crack, prolly not the problem, now ifn its a big new crack, well, may be on to it. Now one of yall get offn lazy ass and fix it! randyp

randyp being lazy is not the problem.........it's tha big crack that is the problem. No one said it was a new one or an old one. Sometimes it's hard to tell. Got to get real close to figur out.

mike

At least you still have your Catalytic Converter. Around here they have been steeling them using battery powered sawzalls. Now they stepped it up a notch and are working in teams. In big parking lots like Walmart, one guy follows a mark in the store and warns the partner via cell phone if mark is leaving before the converter has been removed. All this in the middle of the day!