How do you fill cracks in a sterring wheel?

Vinny, Believe me when I say that wheel looks very good compared to most i've seen with that age of truck. There is a kit you can buy to help build up the creveses and use a gelcoat then sand, then paint. A paint and body shop can be of help if you should call and let them know what you have. I know this has been covered on this subject before but I have forgotten where it is on BMT.

mike

i used fiberglass resin one time came out good,,then just touch up,,with a model brush,,,with your color,,you might be able to find one brand new in a box i got lucky,,found one outa a oakland fire engine,,,its cherry,,75 bucks,,,,and yes the cracks are a turnoff,,,good luck bob

i just did my wheel this summer and it cracked again. I used the stuff that is made for steering wheel repairs and it still cracked as soon as it got cold? My advice is to put the steering wheel in the freezer 1hr before you push the puddy into the crack. it may reduce the shrinkage issue??

oh,,brother,,,here come the horror stories,,nothing seems to work like they claim,,sorry to hear that...probably better off to find a new one in a box,,,someones gotta have one..good luck.bob

Mine was used off of ebay had a cracks like yours has. about 1/8" cracks. I sanded it down filled them in let it set up and sanded again. was smooth as silk. had it painted and it looked great. last week I jump in the truck and see that its cracked in the same spots. but now they are smaller cracks 1/16" but they can be seen. will likely just push some more of the stuff in and see if it hides them at all. I think the plastic just shrinks when it gets real cold.

One of the problems with steering wheel repair is cleaning it. The wheel absorbs years of body oil and general grime which will prevent a good bond between the wheel and the repair material. One of the best ways to clean it is to soak it in castrol Purple Power fo 24 hours, wash off with dish washing soap and let air dry. The purple Power probably will remove a lot of the paint so be fore warned about that. Also radius the sharp edges of the crack to blend in the repair and to prevent the cracks from returning. The sharp edge will cause the reappear, a radiused edge, the crack will normally not. The main thing is to get it clean.....oils and dirt are the enemy of epoxy, bondo and paint. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I took a black Value-Liner steering wheel,v'd out all the cracks.The guy that did the body/paint work on my truck,used a plastic bumper filler on the v'd out cracks.I then scuffed the whole wheel and he shot it with white Imron.I have noticed some fine cracks,but not in the areas that we repaired .That was done in 2005 and it still looks great today! Hope this helps. :SMOKIE-LFT:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA